Geno Smith Incentive Contract

rcaido

Reaction score
Ok so, Geno incentive breakdown from what i read.

Geno has to match or pass last season stats to get roster bonus. $2million for each accomplishment

Passing yards - 4,282yrd currently 1,169yrds / 1305yrds
Touchdowns - 30TD/ currently 5TD/ 9TDs last season
Completion rate - 69.7555%/ currently 67.68%
Passer rating (100.874) currently 90.7%
Seattle has to make the playoffs or win 10 games.

He has to hit all 5, to get an additional 5million next season( which is very unlikely)

Tinfoil hat on...
-Geno is pressuring himself to try to hit his bonuses. Last game, he held the ball way too long, instead of just throw to what the defense gave him. Did not try to get yards w/ his legs either. It could just be the injury but even before that, he has not been producing like a Pro Bowler. He has underperformed and could lose up to $15million dollars in his contract. This looks like a big a win for JS contract negotiation. Geno bet on himself and is losing. They can even cut him before the next season only be 17.4million in dead money. Lots of pressure on Geno and hopefully no resentment the following season if he does not reach his incentive goals. I was worried about this contract, not that it was high but adding a good chunk of money base on incentives is not the way to go.

sutz

Reaction score
Yep. We like to bitch and moan about his performance, but it's costing him real dollars if he doesn't turn it around.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
And more importantly, it is going to cost this team a lot of games.
Exactly don't be angry with me because I watch a real quarterback having a bad season but doing just fine and like Burrow can and does carry said team regardless. Draft your quarterback John ignore Pete.

warden

Reaction score
Football is a team game, singling out one player means you are getting it wrong. The second half, Geno had very little time to throw. A major shut out to the Bengals secondary for throwing a blanket on our receivers. Remember the other team gets paid to make plays too

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Bengals defense was damn good when it counted. But, yet again, Geno missed a lot of open guys and needs to play better. It's all I'm trying to say, even if I'm being an a** while doing it. I just don't understand how seems to get a pass every time he has a bad game. By SOME, not saying all.
And I fully expect him to have a hell of a game on Sunday.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Exactly don't be angry with me because I watch a real quarterback having a bad season but doing just fine and like Burrow can and does carry said team regardless. Draft your quarterback John ignore Pete.

Pretty sure none of John's QB targets have been available since 2012.

There's only a handful of truly intriguing prospects every year and they get snapped up early. Every other prospect is merely a hope and a prayer. And most of those late pick starters are essentially Geno Smith level players. Do you think we'd be better with Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, Sam Howell, Jimmy G, Desmond Ridder, etc?

I admit that Geno isn't the guy, but I'm not sure it's going to be at all easy to find "the guy". Mahomes type players are generational talents.

warden

Reaction score
Because some of us don’t over react and just want to complain about things does not mean we are making excuses

Geno is no good
Pete should be fired
Adams needs to go
Our offensive line sucks
The management does not know what they are doing because they didn’t draft Carter
Witherspoon was not a player of need

And on and on and on

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Pretty sure none of John's QB targets have been available since 2012.

There's only a handful of truly intriguing prospects every year and they get snapped up early. Every other prospect is merely a hope and a prayer. And most of those late pick starters are essentially Geno Smith level players. Do you think we'd be better with Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, Sam Howell, Jimmy G, Desmond Ridder, etc?

I admit that Geno isn't the guy, but I'm not sure it's going to be at all easy to find "the guy". Mahomes type players are generational talents.
I agree I'm hoping Rattler drops in trading range.

renofox

Reaction score
Bengals defense was damn good when it counted. But, yet again, Geno missed a lot of open guys and needs to play better. It's all I'm trying to say, even if I'm being an a** while doing it. I just don't understand how seems to get a pass every time he has a bad game. By SOME, not saying all.
And I fully expect him to have a hell of a game on Sunday.
This is just like the former QB.

Up until the trade, many members of the community were still all in on the former QB. Other members had been down on him and ready to move on for years, but the majority were making every excuse in the book for his poor play for years.

Defending a player for a few bad games is rational. Defending a pattern of bad play stretching back to the middle of last season, deflecting and excusing, is not.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I was worried about this contract, not that it was high but adding a good chunk of money base on incentives is not the way to go.
It's not high at all compared to other QBs in this league right now. Geno bet on himself and gave a team friendly deal with easy outs. Makes him easy to root for. I hope he hits his incentives.

Can't say that about another guy, who would have been like:

Hey Mark, make sure I'm the highest paid QB right now. Put in a deadline ultimatum if you're not getting what we want. Make sure you leak to the media as well if we're not getting what we want. And don't forget about that no-trade clause. I need to be on a team I don't have to carry. Because at the end of the day, it's about my legacy. Leave no doubt in your contract negotiations!

CactusJack

Reaction score
Geno is a solid NFL starter. Is he elite? No. But there are only a handful or less of those guys in the league.

He's a bridge guy. The way his contract is structured confirms this. Which is fine for the moment. But the overreactions on the forum never disappoint.

I have enough confidence in John, when it comes to scouting QB's, that I'm not too worried about them finding the next guy. Fans are just too impatient & want a quick fix.

It's worth mentioning that this team is basically in year two of a rebuild that is ahead of schedule. The arrow is pointing upwards.

Last edited:

warden

Reaction score
When off season comes, the Seahawks will look at improving every position. Do what we did in the first couple of season under Pete. Build the team first before you stick a rookie in there. This time around we have stepped up at QB during this phase. Geno is better then TJack

OP
OP
rcaido

rcaido

Reaction score
It's not high at all compared to other QBs in this league right now. Geno bet on himself and gave a team friendly deal with easy outs. Makes him easy to root for. I hope he hits his incentives.

Can't say that about another guy, who would have been like:

Hey Mark, make sure I'm the highest paid QB right now. Put in a deadline ultimatum if you're not getting what we want. Make sure you leak to the media as well if we're not getting what we want. And don't forget about that no-trade clause. I need to be on a team I don't have to carry. Because at the end of the day, it's about my legacy. Leave no doubt in your contract negotiations!
Geno shouldn't even be playing for incentives. Geno was Pro Bowler & Comeback player of the year. Geno only getting 27.5million guarantee + bonus incentive, meanwhile Daniels Jones gets 46million guarantee this season.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Yep. We like to bitch and moan about his performance, but it's costing him real dollars if he doesn't turn it around.
I think it adds to the underlying point… the pressure gets to him.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Because some of us don’t over react and just want to complain about things does not mean we are making excuses

Geno is no good
Pete should be fired
Adams needs to go
Our offensive line sucks
The management does not know what they are doing because they didn’t draft Carter
Witherspoon was not a player of need

And on and on and on
I see what you’re trying to do.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
When off season comes, the Seahawks will look at improving every position. Do what we did in the first couple of season under Pete. Build the team first before you stick a rookie in there. This time around we have stepped up at QB during this phase. Geno is better then TJack

And Charlie Whitehurst. And Matt Flynn. And probably Drew Lock. But he's not Mahomes and that gets everyone freaked out.