Will Hawks keep Geno for 2024?

• Yes

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 28 42.4%

• Total voters

CactusJack

Reaction score
That may be what it saves in 2024. It saves a heck of a lot more in 2025. The Geno supporters need to get their focus off our 2024 record and reorient around a longer-term picture in which the Seahawks attempt to unburden themselves from underperforming contracts so they can go in new directions.
2024: $13.8m
2025: $25m

Those are the cap savings the next two years. Only an additional $8.7m would count towards the cap in 2025, should they decide to keep him around & move on a year from now.

There are several cuts that can & will be made to create cap room. Cutting Geno isn't a necessity.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
They're not overpaying for Purdy. We are overpaying for Geno if we keep him.
Purdy on his rookie contract means the Niners are getting a solid QB for a huge discount. Once his rookie deal is up, if he maintains this level of production, he'll get paid way more than Geno.

For comparison, Ryan Tannehill is 2 years older than Geno and is paid more.

Last edited:

SeaWolv

Reaction score
It's not "trashing on Geno" to opine that he's not particularly good and not worth holding onto. There's no hatred in that. No slander. It's simple analysis. You are welcome to disagree but don't disparage those of us who feel that way as driven by irrational emotion because that mischaracterizes our motives.
While I agree Geno is not worth holding onto for the long term, I think he is for the short term. And depending on what you mean by "not particularly good", someone could infer that you're disparaging him since his numbers are good, they just aren't great.

Parallax

Reaction score
2024: $13.8m
2025: $25m

Those are the cap savings the next two years. Only an additional $8.7m would count towards the cap in 2025, should they decide to keep him around & move on a year from now.

There are several cuts that can & will be made to create cap room. Cutting Geno isn't a necessity.
I'm not saying it's necessary. I'm saying it may be a smart move toward our real goal -- of rebuilding a championship caliber team. One has to stop focusing on this year and focus on the next three to five.

Parallax

Reaction score
While I agree Geno is not worth holding onto for the long term, I think he is for the short term. And depending on what you mean by "not particularly good", someone could infer that you're disparaging him since his numbers are good, they just aren't great.
Disparaging is not saying someone's skills are mediocre. It's calling him a jerk or a bum. People are free to agree or disagree with another's opinions but when you use a term like "disparage" you're assuming bad faith and ill will.

Parallax

Reaction score
Purdy on his rookie contract means the Niners are getting a solid QB for a huge discount. Once his rookie deal is up, if he maintains this level of production, he'll get paid way more than Geno.

For comparison, Ryan Tannehill is 2 years older than Geno and is paid more.
They either will or they won't. The 49ers are usually pretty smart. Blew it big time on the move up to get Lance but they don't screw up often. I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted another rookie and gave him a shot. If they re-sign Purdy, it will probably be done in a smart way that maximizes their chances of having continued success. Though it's challenging because success makes it more difficult to hold together the core of the team. Plus the stars are in their peak years but aging every day.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Disparaging is not saying someone's skills are mediocre. It's calling him a jerk or a bum. People are free to agree or disagree with another's opinions but when you use a term like "disparage" you're assuming bad faith and ill will.
Again, you're saying his skills are mediocre (i.e. moderate to low value) when in fact his skills are above average by several different metrics. By saying this you are by definition disparaging (i.e. regarding as of little worth) his skill as an NFL quarterback.

Parallax

Reaction score
Again, you're saying his skills are mediocre (i.e. moderate to low value) when in fact his skills are above average by several different metrics. By saying this you are by definition disparaging (i.e. regarding as of little worth) his skill as an NFL quarterback.
If I don't agree with your cherry picked statistics, I'm disparaging Geno?

I don't accept that premise.

renofox

Reaction score
That may be what it saves in 2024. It saves a heck of a lot more in 2025. The Geno supporters need to get their focus off our 2024 record and reorient around a longer-term picture in which the Seahawks attempt to unburden themselves from underperforming contracts so they can go in new directions.
Yep. Geno will cost 22.5M this year. Release today, or trade by 3/16, and the cap savings is 22.5M. Whether realized fully in 2024 or split between 2 years, the cap savings is 22.5M.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Yep. Geno will cost 22.5M this year. Release today, or trade by 3/16, and the cap savings is 22.5M. Whether realized fully in 2024 or split between 2 years, the cap savings is 22.5M.
That's not true.

The cap savings is just $13.8m should he be released or traded.

The team would save $22.5m in cash (salary). But that amount does not figure into the cap. As he would still have a $17.4m cap hit (Dead cap) on the books.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/geno-smith-12320/

There is no option for a June 1st designation. So, the full $17.4m would count towards the cap this year.

Last edited:

haroldseattle

Reaction score
That's incorrect.

The cap savings is just $13.8m should he be released or traded.

The team would save $22.5m in cash (salary). But that amount does not figure into the cap. As he would still have a $17.4m cap hit (Dead cap) on the books.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/geno-smith-12320/
Not sure the word "just" should be put in front of 13.8 million. The added benefit would be he would be off the books 2025 entirely making for a better cap situation 2025 also.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Not sure the word "just" should be put in front of 13.8 million. The added benefit would be he would be off the books 2025 entirely making for a better cap situation 2025 also.
It would. However, releasing him next offseason, would only add an additional $8.7m (Dead $$) towards 2025.

2024: Savings $13.8m (Dead $17.4m)
2025: Savings $25m (Dead $8.7m)

Last edited:

Chawker

Reaction score
I voted "no" and heres why.

1. Cap space is needed

2. Resign Lock for 2024

3. Draft a QB and let him learn for a year. He doesn't have to be a first round selection.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
If I don't agree with your cherry picked statistics, I'm disparaging Geno?

I don't accept that premise.
Whether YOU accept it or not has no bearing on it being the truth.

PFF has him as #9 (just behind CJ Stroud):
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-...kings-lamar-jackson-dak-prescott-lead-the-way

NFL.com has him at #18 (just behind Justin Herbert):
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-ind...-starting-quarterbacks-at-the-end-of-th-x3120

CBS Sports has him at #13 (behind Jared Goff):
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-top-five-lamar-jackson-brock-purdy-lead-way/

ESPN has him at #14 (behind Jalen Hurts):
https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Whichever way you wanna go with these rankings, they all point to one inescapable thing and that is Geno is an above average QB in the NFL. He may not be great, he may not be the future, he may not even be the starter in Seattle next season but he is above average.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
It would. However, releasing him next offseason, would only add an additional $8.7m (Dead $$) towards 2025. A cap saving of $25m.
22.5 million savings over the next two years ticks my Austerity box.

Bargin bin bridge & promising rookie (with the resulting risk to W-L) is fine by me.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
If the Seahawks are going to cut Smith, today is the day to do it.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
22.5 million savings over the next two years ticks my Austerity box.

Bargin bin bridge & promising rookie (with the resulting risk to W-L) is fine by me.
Agree. It's not like anyone expects Geno to take the Seahawks to olayoff success or even to win the division. He's a dead end and better to have the cap space and a rookie prospect with a higher ceiling. Having a QB with a rookie contract is one of the big advantages to build a better roster, don't screw that up by paying 30 plus million for mediocre.