Geno Smith Incentive Contract

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Spencer Rattler? No thanks.
As someone who hasn't seen really any highlight reels about him and knows nothing about him, what makes you so disinterested? I'm pretty focused on who the Hawks could potentially target and I wanted your insight.

Edit: Just saw highlights from the SC/Georgia game a few weeks back that highlights all his throws, and I can see potential. From just a few minutes of watching, I noticed:

-He goes through his progressions fast
-He wasn't intimidated by pressure when it's coming right in front of him before he throws and they were catch-able balls.
-On one pass he threw in the middle of being tackled and it had solid placement about 13 yards away on the sideline
-He can run and juke defenders
-He has a decent slide to give himself up instead of being hammered
-He's good with play-action
-He can really sling the ball
-He's not afraid to loft up 50/50 balls even though his receivers don't always win

I mean, like I said this is only after a few minutes playing against a really great college defense so there may be errors that I haven't seen yet but the potential is there.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
As someone who hasn't seen really any highlight reels about him and knows nothing about him, what makes you so disinterested? I'm pretty focused on who the Hawks could potentially target and I wanted your insight.

Edit: Just saw highlights from the SC/Georgia game a few weeks back that highlights all his throws, and I can see potential. From just a few minutes of watching, I noticed:

-He goes through his progressions fast
-He wasn't intimidated by pressure when it's coming right in front of him before he throws and they were catch-able balls.
-On one pass he threw in the middle of being tackled and it had solid placement about 13 yards away on the sideline
-He can run and juke defenders
-He has a decent slide to give himself up instead of being hammered
-He's good with play-action
-He can really sling the ball
-He's not afraid to loft up 50/50 balls even though his receivers don't always win

I mean, like I said this is only after a few minutes playing against a really great college defense so there may be errors that I haven't seen yet but the potential is there.
He was benched by Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma & transferred.

He was the #1 recruit in 2019. But his teams have underperformed for the most part. His play has been inconsistent. There really isn't anything about him that screams future NFL star.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Geno but Jesus, he's a good quarterback. Folks that say we should put Lock in have no idea what they are seeing on the field.

I think PC/JS should continue their draft philosophy and not overthink the QOTF stuff. Keep building the lines on both sides of the ball.

Fade

Reaction score
When off season comes, the Seahawks will look at improving every position. Do what we did in the first couple of season under Pete. Build the team first before you stick a rookie in there. This time around we have stepped up at QB during this phase. Geno is better then TJack
Geno is also waaaay more expensive.

They need to get a cheaper vet to be the bridge so they have more cap to fill out the roster, they are capped out for '24 as it stands.

(They'll make some moves to clear up some space in the off-season, and If Geno doesn't start playing better, he'll be one of the moves.)

As an aside, I wonder what other offers he had on the table besides the Seahawks?

Because it was real team friendly with the structure, and the Seahawks can move on quickly if he doesn't perform.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score

He was the #1 recruit in 2019. But his teams have underperformed for the most part. His play has been inconsistent. There really isn't anything about him that screams future NFL star.
He's a completely different player then when at Oklahoma.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Geno shouldn't even be playing for incentives. Geno was Pro Bowler & Comeback player of the year. Geno only getting 27.5million guarantee + bonus incentive, meanwhile Daniels Jones gets 46million guarantee this season.

🤷‍♂️ Smith took a team-friendly deal, perhaps recognizing that just the amount fully guaranteed at signing ($27.3M plus a $200K 2023 workout bonus that was pretty close to being fully guaranteed) was more money than he and his children (if he has them) could possibly spend in their lives, and decided his chance to win with the team that gave him his chance at a real comeback was worth more to him than getting a bigger contract.

I don't see anything wrong with players who try to maximize their earnings. I certainly prefer as much money as possible going to the players we watch over that same money going into the offshore accounts of a billionaire owner. But I can respect when a player decides that he's making quite a bit and takes a deal below his market value, leaving his team with more cap space to build a stronger team around him and therefore a better chance to win.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Can never fault a player for getting the best coin they can. More power to the players. If the team is willing to pay it, go get it.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score

He's playing in a pro style offense now at SC and he loves it, making him one step closer to being an NFL QB than he was at Oklahoma. So far, it seems to be suiting him well when you look at this video that shows every throw he made against Georgia about 3 weeks ago (which is what I was referencing in my original post)

If we can get him for a 2nd rounder or 3rd like I think @MizzouHawkGal said, I'd be satisfied.

OP
OP
rcaido

rcaido

Reaction score
🤷‍♂️ Smith took a team-friendly deal, perhaps recognizing that just the amount fully guaranteed at signing ($27.3M plus a $200K 2023 workout bonus that was pretty close to being fully guaranteed) was more money than he and his children (if he has them) could possibly spend in their lives, and decided his chance to win with the team that gave him his chance at a real comeback was worth more to him than getting a bigger contract.

I don't see anything wrong with players who try to maximize their earnings. I certainly prefer as much money as possible going to the players we watch over that same money going into the offshore accounts of a billionaire owner. But I can respect when a player decides that he's making quite a bit and takes a deal below his market value, leaving his team with more cap space to build a stronger team around him and therefore a better chance to win.
From my understanding, the incentives already incorporated towards the cap. So if Geno hits all his incentives, 10million will count to the salary cap this year plus $5million next season. If Geno doesnt, we get the 10million in credit next season.

The whole point of the topic is, will Geno be affected by it during the season. Will it influence his decision making. Will he harm the team because he is trying to hit his goals. Will he get frustrated if the team goes more run then pass. Will he tell Pete he has a small peepee and then blame racism if he doesn't hit his goals and go victim mode. Im hoping Geno gets it, this is a very ambitious incentive contract and took a huge gamble on himself.

CactusJack

Reaction score

He's playing in a pro style offense now at SC and he loves it, making him one step closer to being an NFL QB than he was at Oklahoma. So far, it seems to be suiting him well when you look at this video that shows every throw he made against Georgia about 3 weeks ago (which is what I was referencing in my original post)

If we can get him for a 2nd rounder or 3rd like I think @MizzouHawkGal said, I'd be satisfied.

Rattler is a Day 3 of the draft guy. Nothing more.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score

I do when they know and everyone admits said player is a career backup after his rookie deal and does EXACTLY the same in pressure situations as 10 years ago.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Think what you like he will go in the 1st round and is exactly what John should be targeting given our OL. Dude is playing in a NFL ready offense, with a pretty shit team overall, has a +:arm, intelligence and fast processing.
Fwiw there's a better chance of you or I winning the lottery, than him being taken in the 1st round.

Feel free to go ahead & bookmark this post. ;)

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Rattler is a Day 3 of the draft guy. Nothing more.
Idk man, agree to disagree. His O-Line and receivers aren't doing him any favors most of the time and I see the potential in him to be an above average to great QB in the NFL

I'm not going to say he'll be a first rounder but I can see him going in the 2nd if he maintains his performance through the year

OP
OP
rcaido

rcaido

Reaction score
So Geno is not looking good in hitting his incentives.

Last season
4,282 yards, with 30 touchdowns, (69.8%) a passer rating of 100.9. 9-8 record

2404 yards
12 TDs
65.3%
89.7 rating
6-4 record

The only one he might get is the yards but he projecting to be short of this. The easier one is winning 10 games or playoffs. So if Geno doesn't hit his incentives, do we still keep him or release him after the season. Looks like his incentives will count for next season if he gets any.