Geno Smith real deal? ...or just a flash?

CactusJack

Reaction score
Real Deal. Top 5? Nope. Top 10? Possibly. Top 15, without a doubt.
Based on what we've seen of him. I think it's completely fair to say that he belongs in the Jared Goff, Kirk Cousins QB tier. Their play can sometimes be inconsistent depending on the matchup. But they produce.

Fwiw this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Based on what we've seen of him. I think it's completely fair to say that he belongs in the Jared Goff, Kirk Cousins QB tier. Their play can sometimes be inconsistent depending on the matchup. But they produce.
Exactly. If the team plays as a whole, we’re in good shape with Geno. If we ask him or the defense to do everything, it probably won’t go well.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Like Purdy, he EXCELS in the right scheme/system. Neither will ever be mistaken for Mahomes or Brady or Rodgers, but as a QB who is efficient, accurate, limits turnovers and an excellent system quarterback who can be clutch when needed, he's it.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Like Purdy, he EXCELS in the right scheme/system. Neither will ever be mistaken for Mahomes or Brady or Rodgers, but as a QB who is efficient, accurate, limits turnovers and an excellent system quarterback who can be clutch when needed, he's it.
That’s beautiful. And what we need right now. We can win with Geno, and also find our QBOTF while we win with Geno. I feel like we have a 2 second head start on the league right now for future fortunes. Win now and win later when we pick our next guy. Future is bright.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Geno Smith....?
The same guy that threw for barely over 100 yards in the first game of this season?

Consider...
LT Charles Cross did not participate in practice (turf toe).
LG Damien Lewis did not participate in practice (ankle).
OC Evan Brown did participate, but isn't healthy (knee).
RG Phil Haynes did not participate in practice (calf).
RT Abe Lucas on IR (4 weeks).
TE Will Dissly did not practice (shoulder).

And I am supposed to put my trust in Geno Smith?
Yeah, um, not very likely...

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
someone said of Geno that he is a “Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff level of QB”. I tend to agree with that. That’s what I felt about him after last season.

knownone

Reaction score
You're talking about Geno?

Geno's skill set is pretty damn close to Mahomes and Rodgers. And he's the polar opposite of Purdy. Sure, he's efficient, but he was also second in turnover potential last season and explosive plays generated. He's the personification of irrational confidence, forcing throws into tight windows and winning outside the system as much as within it. That's a stark contrast from Purdy, who dumps the ball off and gets two-thirds of his yards from YAC.

I don't think people realize what we've stumbled into. Geno was a top 7 QB last season. He's one of the most physically gifted QBs in the league. Why can't he be a top 5 QB?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score

Fwiw this isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Exactly but not worth 30-40 million ever. I'm a Capricorn so I'm always thinking money and budget. Hence my hatred of Pete and his little toy Jamal Adams both need to get the **** out so we can actually do a true rebuild already.

Last edited:

Weadoption

Reaction score
You're talking about Geno?

Geno's skill set is pretty damn close to Mahomes and Rodgers. And he's the polar opposite of Purdy. Sure, he's efficient, but he was also second in turnover potential last season and explosive plays generated. He's the personification of irrational confidence, forcing throws into tight windows and winning outside the system as much as within it. That's a stark contrast from Purdy, who dumps the ball off and gets two-thirds of his yards from YAC.

I don't think people realize what we've stumbled into. Geno was a top 7 QB last season. He's one of the most physically gifted QBs in the league. Why can't he be a top 5 QB?
in the entire meta verse there is no version with Geno as a top 5 qb in the league.
And that includes the universe where Joe Biden leads the NFL in rushing.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Exactly but not worth 30-40 million ever.
Okay, but that's the current market.

Cousins is making $35M/yr on average. He'll probably sign for a lot more in the near future. North of $40m.
Goff- $33m/yr.
Geno- $25m/yr

They basically got him at a discount rate with a ton of incentives.

Sure, they'll eventually have to find his long-term replacement. But in the meantime, they're in pretty good shape.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Okay, but that's the current market.

Cousins is making $35M/yr on average. He'll probably sign for a lot more in the near future.
Goff- $33m/yr.
Geno- $25m/yr

They basically got him at a discount rate with a ton of incentives.

They'll eventually have to find his long-term replacement. But in the meantime, they're in pretty good shape.
So see Minnesota? They probably won't win more then 6-7 games. My point is you need to pay the right people and Geno and any safety alive sure isn't it.

Kirk Cousins is the poster boy of loser with excellent statistics just like Russell Wilson. You don't pay Geno shit you damn well start taking your shots every year and draft quarterbacks. We all know Geno's ceiling so stop the bullshit. He's pretty decent but the Rams and San Francisco own his ass. We need someone that's next level because Stafford is not a joke and Purdy seems to be the next Brady and Arizona is in line to get Caleb and Harrison.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
So see Minnesota? They probably won't win more then 6-7 games. My point is you need to pay the right people and Geno and any safety alive sure isn't it.

Kirk Cousins is the poster boy of loser with excellent statistics just like Russell Wilson.
It could always be worse. Instead, you could be saddled to Russ with a huge contract that he can't live up to. ;)

The important thing to remember is that they're not tied to Geno long-term. They're a relatively young team that has future flexibility.

Having Geno as the starter, isn't the end of the world.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It could always be worse. Instead, you could be saddled to Russ with a huge contract that he can't live up to. ;)

The important thing to remember is that they're not tied to Geno long-term. They're a relatively young team that has future flexibility.

Having Geno as the starter, isn't the end of the world.
Fair enough.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly but not worth 30-40 million ever. I'm a Capricorn so I'm always thinking money and budget. Hence my hatred of Pete and his little toy Jamal Adams both need to get the **** out so we can actually do a true rebuild already.

Your posts come off hostile. Do you need a hug?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Geno Smith....?
The same guy that threw for barely over 100 yards in the first game of this season?

Consider...
LT Charles Cross did not participate in practice (turf toe).
LG Damien Lewis did not participate in practice (ankle).
OC Evan Brown did participate, but isn't healthy (knee).
RG Phil Haynes did not participate in practice (calf).
RT Abe Lucas on IR (4 weeks).
TE Will Dissly did not practice (shoulder).

And I am supposed to put my trust in Geno Smith?
Yeah, um, not very likely...
Discounting a very good year last year, along with a stellar performance last week, due to a first game where the entire team failed to launch seems questionable at best

Mick063

Reaction score
The 24/7 media needs profitable clickbait and "tiers" are their crutch. Every week, a new iteration of "top ten" this or "top ten" that. Football fans are addicted to the clickbait. Every week, a new "tier" to measure your emotional investment against. To satisfy that never-ending desire to feel validated because some talking head says so.

I put Geno in the Geno Smith tier.

His consistency relative to his contract value is extremely good. As good as anyone short of the inexplicably underpaid Mahomes or ridiculously cheap Purdy. When you factor in how much a quarterback gobbles up cap space, robbing talent from other portions of the roster, then it is a completely ludicrous exercise to categorize quarterbacks into "tiers" unless relative contract value is taken into account. Overpaid quarterbacks are forcing teams to let go of valuable roster pieces and their perceived "tier" doesn't mean crap in that context.

Hence, I despise QB rankings and "tiers" because they almost never include the most important aspect of ANY player's value. Are they delivering what their contract says they are supposed to deliver?

For Geno, that is a big, emphatic yes. He overdelivers what his contract says he should deliver. If every player on the team overdelivers on their contract value, then the team is a championship contender. Geno is more than holding up his end of the deal.

This is what the Forty Niners figured out with Purdy and precisely why they sent Lance packing. Bang for the buck. Mr. irrelevant rookie deal verse first rounder due for extension. It is all about overdelivering on the contract and preserving cap space to retain good players. The Niners window remains open for the foreseeable future because of it.

Last edited: