Geno Smith Incentive Contract

renofox

Reaction score
So whats the plan after release?? Sign Wilson again?
PCJS not gonna release Geno. He's the perfect QB for what PC wants. High-floor teams is PC's MO now. Just because it means low-ceiling is immaterial. As long as he gets his 8-10 wins every year (with a small chance at a +-2 outlier) PC will be happy to just steadily accumulate a few W's and move up the coaching career leaderboard while raking in the $millions$.

PC/Geno will probably be "leading" the Seahawks til ~2030. Maybe they can shoot for 2035 so we can get a full 20 years of what we've seen for the last 9.

Joy.

flv2

Reaction score
The base cost for Smith in 2024 is $22.5M. If the Seahawks don't want to keep or trade him they have to make that decision by mid February. Yes, he could potentially make 1 or 2 of the incentive targets but if he does the improved performance could make it harder to move on from him. At this point I think there's a 90% chance of him being retained.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The base cost for Smith in 2024 is $22.5M. If the Seahawks don't want to keep or trade him they have to make that decision by mid February. Yes, he could potentially make 1 or 2 of the incentive targets but if he does the improved performance could make it harder to move on from him. At this point I think there's a 90% chance of him being retained.
I think that if they do Draft a QB within the first three rounds next year like Sperrydogg has suggested might happen, I think you almost have to keep Geno for another year just to mentor the guy.
I think it beats the hell out of Drafting a Young Gun and just throwing him to the wolves, but that's just me.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, IF they draft a guy early for the future, Geno would def. be a good choice to mentor a young guy. Good point.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I would rather they just play Lock, which would set us up decently well to draft a qbotf in the middle of the 1st. That isn't going to happen, and Pete's not going to draft a qb anyway most likely since his contract is up in '25, but one can dream. We're most likely stuck in Pete's Purgatory until he leaves. Yes, that's a pessimistic view, but I don't see anything in past history to indicate that would be suddenly negated. It is what it is.

OP
OP
rcaido

rcaido

Reaction score
I would rather they just play Lock, which would set us up decently well to draft a qbotf in the middle of the 1st. That isn't going to happen, and Pete's not going to draft a qb anyway most likely since his contract is up in '25, but one can dream. We're most likely stuck in Pete's Purgatory until he leaves. Yes, that's a pessimistic view, but I don't see anything in past history to indicate that would be suddenly negated. It is what it is.
The gauntlet has started already and its not looking good. We probably wont even need to have Lock start to get a middle of the 1st.

Geno seem like a decent QB but he's going to be too expensive for just a mentor. At best we are just barely a .500 team, maybe playoffs. He is going to cost 30+million next year w/o the incentives kicked in. Drew Lock seem like a way cheaper alternative as a mentor. Only 4million. We can spend the money on an elite linebacker, pass rusher, or more oline help. Im still not sure about Leonard Williams, it would be a shame we gave up our 2nd round pick for a rental.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Yep. We like to bitch and moan about his performance, but it's costing him real dollars if he doesn't turn it around.
What kind of pressure is PC going to have to make sure Geno hits his goals? Instead of doing what is best for the future of the franchise and developing Lock or another? At this point, Pete has a conflict of interest. The long term team, or short term happy QB.

sutz

Reaction score
What kind of pressure is PC going to have to make sure Geno hits his goals? Instead of doing what is best for the future of the franchise and developing Lock or another? At this point, Pete has a conflict of interest. The long term team, or short term happy QB.
I don't see it that way. The goals Geno is trying for are generally positives that increase the chances of the team winning.