Fades Take on Seahawks Culture with this Hire

Who would you rather Have coaching the Seahawks, right now? And why?

• Total voters

Fade

Reaction score
And it is an incredible thing. John Schneider hired a Jim/Jon Harbaugh disciple completely opposite of what Pete Carroll is.

-Pete Carroll is the oldest coach. Mike Macdonald is the youngest.

-Pete had an antiquated scheme. Mike has a cutting edge, modern scheme that adapts to the players.

-Pete is exuberant. Mike is reserved.

-Pete is rah rah. Mike is about the x's and o's.

-Pete does less with more. Mike does more with less.

-Pete will smoke anybody at a press conference. Mike will be bland and boring.

-Pete was sloppy on the details. Mike is all about the details.

-Pete has to have his hand in every pie. Mike will focus on just being the coach.

John got the #1 Defensive Coaching candidate available. If you were looking to hire a defensive Head Coach this was the guy everyone wanted. And John landed him. Impressive. John probably wanted Ben Johnson more, but if he doesn't want to leave there is nothing you can do about that.

This is a win-win hire long term. As either, he will be a hit and shutdown McShanahan, -or- he will be mediocre, and will be moved off from in a couple years for an offensive HC. Right about that time when you're looking for your young and talented QB already drafted or about to be drafted needs help. This is a great way to think about it, they are taking a shot and giving defense one last try, if it works, it works. If it don't, well… No one in the league will be employing defensive head coaches at that point. And Seattle will go offensive HC as well.

I think Mike Macdonald will be a success at fixing the defense, and I expect them to take a big leap in yr 1. The 1100lb Gorilla in the room, as John even brought up in his presser is, now you will be playing musical chairs at OC and that can do a number on a young QB. This will be Mike Macdonald's biggest challenge. Is pairing an offensive coach with his QB--who is good, but not good enough to get hired away.

This hire is a slap in Pete's face as he is a Harbaugh disciple as mentioned earlier, severing all ties with Pete. They are not keeping the same culture, but pivoting in a new direction entirely. The only contribution Pete could make at this point to the football team is audition for head cheerleader.

I give this hire an A-

It fixes the defensive coaching issues they were having for years, and are modernizing across the board which is exciting! But you still face potential issues on offense by having a defensive HC, which are getting harder to solve without just having, straight up--An OFFENSIVE HC. 11 of 14 teams that made the playoffs were lead by offensive HCs. Only 2 were defensive (PITT & BUF)(BAL Special Teams) A defensive HC hasn't made the SuperBowl since Bill Belichick, which feels like a long time ago.

The Seahawks are one of the best run franchises in the league. The future is bright!

Parallax

Reaction score
And it is an incredible thing. John Schneider hired a Jim/Jon Harbaugh disciple completely opposite of what Pete Carroll is.

-Pete had an antiquated scheme. Mike has a cutting edge, modern scheme that adapts to the players.

-Pete has to have his hand in every pie. Mike will focus on just being the coach.

John got the #1 Defensive Coaching candidate available. If you were looking to hire a defensive Head Coach this was the guy everyone wanted. And John landed him. Impressive. John probably wanted Ben Johnson more, but if he doesn't want to leave there is nothing you can do about that.

This is a win-win hire long term. As either, he will be a hit and shutdown McShanahan, -or- he will be mediocre, and will be moved off from in a couple years for an offensive HC. Right about that time when you're looking for your young and talented QB already drafted or about to be drafted needs help. This is a great way to think about it, they are taking a shot and giving defense one last try, if it works, it works. If it don't, well… No one in the league will be employing defensive head coaches at that point. And Seattle will go offensive HC as well.

I think Mike Macdonald will be a success at fixing the defense, and I expect them to take a big leap in yr 1. The 1100lb Gorilla in the room, as John even brought up in his presser is, now you will be playing musical chairs at OC and that can do a number on a young QB. This will be Mike Macdonald's biggest challenge. Is pairing an offensive coach with his QB--who is good, but not good enough to get hired away.

This hire is a slap in Pete's face as he is a Harbaugh disciple as mentioned earlier, severing all ties with Pete. They are not keeping the same culture, but pivoting in a new direction entirely. The only contribution Pete could make at this point to the football team is audition for head cheerleader.

I give this hire an A-

It fixes the defensive coaching issues they were having for years, and are modernizing across the board which is exciting! But you still face potential issues on offense by having a defensive HC, which are getting harder to solve without just having, straight up--An OFFENSIVE HC. 11 of 14 teams that made the playoffs were lead by offensive HCs. Only 2 were defensive (PITT & BUF)(BAL Special Teams) A defensive HC hasn't made the SuperBowl since Bill Belichick, which feels like a long time ago.

The Seahawks are one of the best run franchises in the league. The future is bright!
Great analysis. Thanks.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Fade, you just can’t stop jumping on Pete’s grave can you, you seem obsessed with your Pete hate.

All in all the good and positive things about the team‘s new HC could have been said without yet another round of your vituperative anti-Pete agenda. So very one note.

Change has happened, yet you seem stuck.

Parallax

Reaction score
Really I don't think the issue is the coach offense or defense minded it's all about getting a top tier quarterback.
I think it's way better to have an offensive-minded head coach in today's NFL. But McDonald has such a good record and reputation, it was worth taking a chance on him. I consider it a good hire but I think there's a risk. Of course that's true with any new head coach.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Mahommes certainly is evidence of that view Mizzou.

Even if it isn’t it certainly makes it easier for the HC to have a winning program.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I think it's way better to have an offensive-minded head coach in today's NFL. But McDonald has such a good record and reputation, it was worth taking a chance on him. I consider it a good hire but I think there's a risk. Of course that's true with any new head coach.
I would have preferred an offensively minded coach but obviously the man you wanted priced himself out of the market and if you have to go with a defensively minded coach you can't do much better then Macdonald.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Mahommes certainly is evidence of that view Mizzou.

Even if it isn’t it certainly makes it easier for the HC to have a winning program.
I just want to see JS actually draft an actual quarterback with potential also I'm excited to see what kind of players JS is going to target going forward for a coach with a different vision then Pete.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score

I give this hire an A-

Ker shoveling horse manure whitehall london B2N3HW

Jac

Reaction score
If we're going to go defensive coordinator as a HC again, it's awesome that we're shooting for the moon with somebody who could be special. Everything I read about the guy goes on about his incredible football mind. It may not work out (as any OC may not work out), but at least we're really trying something here.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Please change your title. (Or I will) It’s misleading and speculative. 🤨 Also don’t include some slam/insult/attack on PC. It’s tiring. You’re an intellectual who can at times have quality posts, when your focus aren’t running PC in some shape or form.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

I give this hire an A-

How can you not see your own inconsistency? It borders on delusion.

You have spent years, and I mean YEARS, stating that the franchise is so poorly run that you won't even spell the owners name correctly. Years!

One decision makes them one of the best run organizations in the league? That doesn't make sense! You should be building these things into your opinion from the start! THE START!

And now, somehow this hire specifically is pissing on Pete's culture?

You think that hiring a defensive coach coming from a fast, hard attacking defense is pissing on Pete's culture?

You really don't see that he's just as much a spiritual successor to Pete, hand picked by Pete's partner in crime for 14 years, to build the exact kind of team that he and Pete tasted glory with?

You're deliberately blinding yourself and trying to do it to the rest of the forum too, but you're not quite as good at hiding it anymore. This is why you're getting clowned.