All 22 vs DET (1st half offense)

Laloosh

Reaction score
As is always the case, this will be a work in progress tonight but here we go. Check back later for more...

Going to give you most of the first series since they looked pretty bad overall and all but one play had a poorly executed block or missed assignment all together.

Q1 10:45 - 1st and 10, DET does a stunt w/ the OLB and DE. Gilliam and Sweezy don't pick it up. Sweezy just looks, "dee deh dee". Play blown up in the backfield. (oh, and Okung misses his cut block on the back side which would have led to a TFL if someone else hadn't gotten there first.)
wsm3X4h.gif

Followed by an easy 12 yard pass to Lockett (OL blocks well).

Q1 9:44 - 1st and 10, Okung misses his cut block on the back side but it doesn't affect the play (this time).
CUTHpDJ

Q1 9:12 - 2nd and 05, Okung and Britt try to double team Jones but he still gets through and blows the play up in the backfield.
EvGubMX

Q1 8:32 - 3rd and 05, Free safety shows blitz. The play call is actually really good here against the blitz but... The FS drops into coverage, taking Graham out of the equation and Okung is bull rushed into Wilson. As designed, it looks like all of the routes for the receivers are just meant to clear space for Graham but with Okung's blunder this play is DOA unless Wilson can make something happen in the scramble. He runs for the 1st down.
TpgKmv7

Q1 8:00 - 1st and 10, Naked bootleg to Wilson's right. All of the recievers run deep routes and none of them have even turned by the time he's run all the way back to the LoS so I'm thinking designed keeper? Not sure on this one. Either way, he gets 6 yards setting up a 2nd and short.
EMGvr1Q

Q1 7:33 - 2nd and 04, Graham misses his block and the OLB blows up the run in the backfield (that's 3 TFL in the 1st series alone). Looked like the rest of the play was blocked fairly well (except for the LB that sheds Coleman's block pretty well).
HMXopvM

Q1 6:54 - 3rd and 05, This play is dead on arrival. Corner blitz, bad snap, Jackson lets the blitzer through w/out a chip or anything. Wilson somehow avoids the sack and scrambles. Eventually throwing an inc pass to Jackson.
Gc5M3Uv

PUNT!

Q1 3:55 - 1st and 10, Nowak and Okung both get beat and it's a race to the RB (TFL).
MmDkYSW

Q1 3:20 - 2nd and 11, Little misdirection play. Might only work once and Gilliam does his best to ruin it but nice job by Russell to get the ball to Jackson behind Sweezy who does not miss his block.
HRkaqu4

Q1 2:48 - 1st and 10, think this is a bad read by Russ but Graham's route on this play is just weird. It takes too long and is easily covered by the SS.
DY7qO7Q

Q1 2:44 - 2nd and 10, just wow...
Hx77bQX
More to come...

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Laloosh":13eo89l3 said:
As is always the case, this will be a work in progress tonight but here we go. Check back later for more...

Going to give you most of the first series since they looked pretty bad overall and all but one play had a poorly executed block or missed assignment all together.

Q1 10:45 - 1st and 10, DET does a stunt w/ the OLB and DE. Gilliam and Sweezy don't pick it up. Sweezy just looks, "dee deh dee". Play blown up in the backfield. (oh, and Okung misses his cut block on the back side which would have led to a TFL if someone else hadn't gotten there first.)
wsm3X4h.gif

Thanks again for all the time you put into these!

Britt also appears to lunge at the 2nd level and misses his block on the LB. Of course, Graham (who is supposed to be double blocking that LB) also takes a bad angle and whiffs.

So, in conclusion, the only player who blocked anyone on this play was Nowak.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for taking it upon yourself to do these, EC! Supremely appreciated.

mrt144

Reaction score
3rd and 5 play even without the mistakes looks like a dubious first down.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
That's it for tonight. Will do 2nd quarter tomorrow. Only offensive play I didn't really include was another example of JG run blocking poorly.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
On that first one, Sweezy shouldn't be trying to take that block, but ends up doing so because he sees Gilliam cross his face inside. That's something they should be able to react to better, but Gilliam is just extremely inexperienced despite his upside.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Q1 9:44 - 1st and 10

This one, the 2nd one, there's no way that Okung makes that block. The DT starts off as a 3 tech where Okung could make the block, but the DT slides down to 1 tech. In theory, they realign who does what and Britt should be downblocking on that guy, but again they don't hand it off like the stunt above. Britt ends up blocking no one and kind of ran in a circle.

Kind of the same thing. They aren't dynamically re-assigning. There's just no continuity as a group.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
3rd one Q1 9:12 - 2nd and 05

Britt is looking at the LB in front of him thinking he doesn't need to worry about a stunt. Okung seems to be thinking stunt and Britt is surprised by the hard inside slant from the DE. The LB Doesn't even seem to do much...doesn't need to.

At this point they're toying with our OL mentally. As a group, they are not fluid what so ever.

At this point, I'm already tired of looking at this. Might do some more tomorrow.

Laloosh, thanks for doing these. I'm in no way trying to step on anything you might have said regarding these plays. Many of these gifs are better than fieldgull stuff, which is saying something. Bravo!

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Excellent work, mate. This is snapshots of what I saw myself upon re-watching it. Offensive line looked horrible. Couldn't string together two back-to-back good blocking plays. Way too many whiffed blocks and just plain missed pass rushers. Coleman didn't look good the whole game blocking, and the line would have missed very few more blocks if they'd been trying to miss them on purpose.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
OK, the 4th one.....

DET looks to be in some form of a man type coverage. A form of cover 1 with and underneath zone as well, which can be common. There's no way that Russ can know details of the coverage pre snap, but given that their coverage follows the trips with the corner traveling, Russ absolutely knows it's some form of predominantly man coverage.

That said, my personal favorite in this scenario is that inside slot that is taking a 45 degree or so to the inside. He'll be underneath the deep safety coming out that side, but also over top of anything underneath. that is likely flowing the wrong way, because you're sending the TE on a shallow cross. Any underneath defender is going to drag across with that, for the most part.

This mostly happens and it looks like RW is looking for exactly what I'm talking about, but it also looks like Lockett doesn't quite separate to the degree that RW is looking for and he doesn't pull the trigger. It's throwable and catchable, but not a lot of separation.

EDIT: I think Doug is actually more open at one point before he crosses the LOS, but I do think he's looking for Lockett trying to come free across the grain. By the time Doug has a good angle he's already made up his mind with maybe 2 yards and 1 stride to go....which is....half a second? A quarter maybe? Too late...

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Q1 8:00 - 1st and 10

It's an agressive playcall. One that is going to require a quick decision. Jimmy has the attention of the FS and I put that one up to Matthews down the sideline where only he can catch it. Obviously RW isn't quite comfortable with it at that point and decides he can get more out of it at the sideline angle with some certainty. Down and distance doesn't dictate that he needs to take the chance.

Tical21

Reaction score
Nice job man! Thanks for this.

On the first one, Gilliam blocks the wrong guy, leaving Sweezy high and dry. Okung misses the cut.

On the second cut that Okung can't get to, considering the splits, when the end shifts inside of Britt, that becomes Britt's scoop on the backside. There is just no way Okung can get there. They aren't taught to chip or anything on the backside, it is all based on alignment rules. If the tackle is inside of head up, Britt has to take him. I'm sure they've already addressed that on film.

Britt totally wiffed on the doubleteam. Not much Okung can do with that one.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Q1 7:33 - 2nd and 04

Don't care for the alignment. Jimmy is starring right at the dude, but he's lined up really wide for a down block. I think he needs to put more effort into exploding into the guy with some urgency, but even then the angles are off. I'm almost inclined to say that this is a near perfect playcall by their D, but also contend that Jimmy might have been able to get the guy off his feet with a good explosive lunge. Maybe...

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Laloosh":1rj1v82w said:
Q1 7:33 - 2nd and 04, Graham misses his block and the OLB blows up the run in the backfield (that's 3 TFL in the 1st series alone). Looked like the rest of the play was blocked fairly well (except for the LB that sheds Coleman's block pretty well).
hMXopvM.gif

Okung gets beat like a rented mule on this play.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Thanks for putting this together.
These cuts are just unreal. I think it is time to ask Pete and Tom some very serious questions: What do these guys do in practice and film sessions? I mean, they get beat on almost every single snap. It is not only our O-Line that cannot block. Our fullback can't block. Our TEs can't block. Apparently our WRs are the only ones who can actually block someone.

What's even scarier is that Tom Cable told us that O-Linemen coming out of college don't know the proper technique. So, he uses these former D-Linemen. D-Linemen are supposed to be more mobile and more athletic than O-Linemen. But these guys on our line are getting abused at will by their counterparts. This is insane.
Someone please explains this to me: Our D-Line, which is one of the best in the League can't get any sacks against a makeshift Detroit Line (consisting of guys, who won't get a job from Tom Cable and Pete Caroll). In the same breath, our nationally praised O-Line (Tom Cable is an innovator and all that BS John Gruden said about him) is getting abused on every single snap by an average Detroit Defensive line?
I have the feeling that playing next to Britt and with Novak at center has completely messed Okung 's head. Okung and Britt should be dominating. They should be leading this line. The left side should be the most mature and most productive side of our line, because it is the most experienced and Okung is a pro-baller. Our RBs should all run behind Okung and Britt. But those guys are playing the worst of our O-line.
On every single snap, our QB knows something bad will happen within 1 second of the snap. I mean, how can someone play in this scenario? How can someone look up receivers, when you know, someone is already in your backfield?
Are we saying, we cannot find guys off the street or on other teams Practice Squad who can do better than this garbage? Our blocking is totally garbage. Does anyone even challenges these guys?

Pete needs to fire someone, otherwise, I wouldn't believe he is serious at all about this season. Let's all be honest with ourselves: This Blocking ain't winning no SB. This blocking is total garbage. We do NOT have a pocket. The worst team in the league (Detroit) has exposed us even more. What will Cincinnati do to us?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
This is absolutely fantastic stuff Laloosh, but I have to say this: You do not give enough time in the gifs to conceivably read what you've wrote there or event remotely close to enough time to read even a snippet. If you're going to write so much you have GOT to pause it long enough to read what the heck you're saying.

lobohawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1t9bikwj said:
On that first one, Sweezy shouldn't be trying to take that block, but ends up doing so because he sees Gilliam cross his face inside. That's something they should be able to react to better, but Gilliam is just extremely inexperienced despite his upside.

Yeah. That looks like a communication issue. Sweezy hesitates as the blockers in front are picked up, then he can't cover the distance to the LB. He might have made it, but only if he moved immediately. Sweezy and Gilliam needed to have that worked out ahead of time.

These are things I expected to crop up, as these guys haven't really worked together very long. What I hated to see in the other clips were the whiffs on those who were actually engaged. The one where the defender splits Britt and Okung was bad.

P.S Props Laloosh for the clips and notes.

justafan

Reaction score
Thanks for putting these up for us.Much appreciation