Source: Russell Wilson Wanted Schottenheimer Fired

JPatera76

Reaction score
I disagree. This thread contains an actual report with a trusted source about how everything we knew about the 2021 firing of an offensive coordinator was likely wrong. Kind of an important and interesting update, unlike stuff like "Russ wants to win in Denver," etc.
Agreed, and funny enough articles and quotes from former staff and players and "insider sources" are all adding up painting us a picture of who Russell the salesman and marketer really is. Its all interesting. Shocking? Not really, I think everything had that .01% sneaking suspicion. In even in the Iced up or whatever it is with Kevin Hart and DK, DK BRIEFLY mentioned him and Russell got into an argument but Russell immediately afterwards was acting like nothing happened and saying "shit like I love you bro" which left DK confused ....now granted if im Russ.. and i see a man as Kevin Hart put so perfectly drawn like DK.. and I was arguing with him Id kiss his ass to.. the dude is a physical freak and Id be afraid of him snapping me effortlessly. lol

EDIT: Maybe (which, I'm speculating or reaching but still) at the start of Pete Carroll & John Schneider Press Conference - March 16 shortly after they traded Russell, Pete kind of reminisced (where people believed he was just losing it and ranting or whatever) about when he met with Coach Wooden from UCLA, He asked coach about "how much do you change your Philosophy year after year. Wooden said Coach you don't change your philosophy, your philosophy is what it is, you either believe in it or you don't. What happens is every year the players change and as you apply your philosophy for the players, it takes on the shape of the individuals your dealing with, but you don't change your philosophy." His "philosophy" is competing, Russell really didn't HAVE to compete. Jon went and looked at Josh Allen and Mahomes and then immediately had to deal with Russell's camp. Russells camp intervened anytime there was a not red flag but more like a "yellow" flag thrown up that Russell might have to compete when Jon did those things. So Pete bent or added an exclusion to his philosophy for Russell.. and I feel him reminiscing was a way for him to reinforce to himself or recognize, he deviated from what he believed in, and ultimately it cost him. It cost him a legacy/dynasty, the LOB, a 2nd Superbowl. It cost him some players trust, fractured the team, and caused some coaches like Schotty to be handed walking papers. All for what? well as the article above states "Carroll judged Wilson too emotionally fragile to handle the criticism" which led us here to this divorce when Pete probably noticed after Shotty, with Waldron.. Russell's play didn't change. He even deviated from the exclusion he made for Russ and criticized him during a presser after one game

Pete Carroll Wants More From Russell Wilson After Seahawks Loss
“I thought Russ took advantage of the game, well, until that last sequence we just, we had a play-action pass and I wish we could have controlled the ball and checked the ball down there,” Carroll explained. “[We] took a shot at Tyler [Lockett] and then we went up to D.K. [Metcalf] on second down, and then our opportunity escapes us right there. They get the ball inside the 40, you know.

“So, that sequence was the one. I wish Russ could’ve helped us there and just made the completions for us. We needed to just move the ball there and change the field position, at least, in overtime because you’re playing [for a] field goal right there. Unfortunately, we didn’t get it done.”

I do feel this off-season is Pete going back to before he made his exception for Russell. Do I think him and Jon are capable of it sure after all Pete produced all stars from USC. And He's used to the "turn over" a college roster would have between guys leaving for the draft or graduating. Denver imo will have their hands full the minute Russell feels wronged or criticized. Everything seems to be adding up overall between what he started to hear in the beginning to now. A lot of which people though was speculation or inside noise. It all seems to have weight now.

Last edited:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm not saying the thread is wrongly instigated but many posts here are of the find another reason to not like Wilson.

It is interesting as it could place more perspective on the reasons for the ultimate divorce between the team and it's QB.

rcaido

Reaction score
Meh Shotty deserve to get fired. That playcalling was horrid during the playoff against the Rams. Like he did not know how to adapt and it was like that half of the year. Its almost like his play calling is scripted and he calls plays predictably until the fourth quarter. Then Russ goes up tempo plays off the script and does his magic. Wilson was terrible in that game and couldn't save the team in the 4th. Not sure if its actually Schottenheimer or Pete doing the offensive plays but playing it close will not work against playoff teams.

I was excited for the Waldron announcement. We saw a glimpse of what should be a modern offense against the first game against the Colts. We had great tempo, pre-snap motion for the first time, threw to the TE, it was so beautiful. Then we saw it again against the Titans for the first half and then we decided to slow the game down for some reason as Pete loves to do that. Our defense collapse and that's all she wrote.

It will be interesting to see how Russell plays in Denver and how our new starting QBs play. i think we will have a better understanding who was the problem. All these "anonymous sources" is hard to believe and almost seem like an agenda to make Wilson as the evil narcistic QB w/ all the power was calling all the shots over Pete/John. They had no choice but to trade him...So if the Seahawks are bad for the next 5 years they have an out.

Perseus68

Reaction score
I'm not saying the thread is wrongly instigated but many posts here are of the find another reason to not like Wilson.

It is interesting as it could place more perspective on the reasons for the ultimate divorce between the team and it's QB.
I think we‘re still stunned we didn’t win multiple SuperBowls which was due to a 1 in a million massive Super Storm that hit us. Paul Allen’s death and his will has played a big part in it, the uncertainty if Jody can hang on and the value of the Franchise. Last thing Seattle needs is outside non football entities damaging the brand forcing Seattle to be what it isn’t.
It just sucks because we’ve lost so much over the decades & I thought we were going to win a whole bunch to make up for the decades of misery.

Aircrew

Reaction score
If anything, all of this information coming out only gives us fans a clearer picture of what RW was/is really like behind the scenes. There were suspicions and rumors that his wholesome persona was contrived and he was a self-centered guy, but the local Seattle media ran cover for him so we never really knew. That's all over now and given what has happened over the last several seasons, I think it's safe to say we're lucky we traded him and got what we did in return. Honestly, I'm getting fatigued with all the Russ talk since he was dealt. He's gone, we're better off and sc*ew him.

toffee

Reaction score
Meh Shotty deserve to get fired. That playcalling was horrid during the playoff against the Rams. Like he did not know how to adapt and it was like that half of the year. Its almost like his play calling is scripted and he calls plays predictably until the fourth quarter. Then Russ goes up tempo plays off the script and does his magic. Wilson was terrible in that game and couldn't save the team in the 4th. Not sure if its actually Schottenheimer or Pete doing the offensive plays but playing it close will not work against playoff teams.

I was excited for the Waldron announcement. We saw a glimpse of what should be a modern offense against the first game against the Colts. We had great tempo, pre-snap motion for the first time, threw to the TE, it was so beautiful. Then we saw it again against the Titans for the first half and then we decided to slow the game down for some reason as Pete loves to do that. Our defense collapse and that's all she wrote.

It will be interesting to see how Russell plays in Denver and how our new starting QBs play. i think we will have a better understanding who was the problem. All these "anonymous sources" is hard to believe and almost seem like an agenda to make Wilson as the evil narcistic QB w/ all the power was calling all the shots over Pete/John. They had no choice but to trade him...So if the Seahawks are bad for the next 5 years they have an out.
I like to think Corbin Smith's article is more about the manner Wilson handled the firing of Schotty. He wanted and acted on Schotty's dismissal, likely telling Pete that he wanted Schotty gone, then he told the world how much he loved Schotty and how much he was against the firing of Schotty.

hawks85

Reaction score
Bible thumping Wilson is a wolf in sheep's clothing. That dude is gonna get booed out of the F'ing building come week 1. Wilson's true colors are now exposed. Good luck Denver with this prima donna diva of a QB.

Perseus68

Reaction score
If anything, all of this information coming out only gives us fans a clearer picture of what RW was/is really like behind the scenes. There were suspicions and rumors that his wholesome persona was contrived and he was a self-centered guy, but the local Seattle media ran cover for him so we never really knew. That's all over now and given what has happened over the last several seasons, I think it's safe to say we're lucky we traded him and got what we did in return. Honestly, I'm getting fatigued with all the Russ talk since he was dealt. He's gone, we're better off and sc*ew him.
He was good enough to win but forces of our world derailed the Seahawks. We got real lucky to get what we did for RW So maybe things are turning back to Seattle’s favor.

Perseus68

Reaction score
Bible thumping Wilson is a wolf in sheep's clothing. That dude is gonna get booed out of the F'ing building come week 1. Wilson's true colors are now exposed. Good luck Denver with this prima donna diva of a QB.
Passing bad JUJUs to Russ ain’t a bad Idea when we hold Denver’s 1st & 2nd round picks. Lots of peeps won’t like it but come draft Day they’ll appreciate it.

keasley45

Reaction score

Just FF to the 24:55 mark

Schotty was wasted by Wilson. Waldron was ignored by Wilson. Warner highlights several plays from the wildcard game and they arent even half the misses that day. An offense can fail because its concepts are flawed. It can also fail because the player responsible for facilitating it struggles. Are all the Hawks failures on Russ? Nope. But the evidence shows that he was much more to blame for our struggles than what many fans and certainly most in the media, would believe.

Its because he was so great doing what he wanted, that its difficult to believe that he could struggle so much in doing what was asked. And often what was asked would have yielded success. Easy, obvious success. What Warner identifies in that clip and one other isnt just a bad game (and its the Wildcard game you reference - a game the playcalling didn't lose). It shows a deficiency in diagnosing defenses. And if that deficiency is something that affects every game... makes it difficult to even get close to evaluating the effectiveness of a coordinator beyond his ability to call basic plays. Even evaluating adjustments - you cant adjust from something you arent doing correctly in the first place. All you can then do is dial plays that dont necessarily make sense in the flow of a game of grand scheme of things, but rather that your QB can execute to help get him on track. Bevell was known for his infuriating bubble screen calls, and quick hit slants. But they always came when the pass game was struggling... which is WHY they were infuriating. Passes up field arent working. Russ is taking sacks. Solution - bubble screen. Was it shoddy, uncreative playcalling or was it Bevell trying to get Russ to be comfortable doing SOMETHING to get him on track?

Schotty elevated Russ's game and got him to be more disciplined / make better reads and it worked wonders until Russ got rattled midseason and never got back on track.

keasley45

Reaction score
Suspect this is yet another in the series of many find another reason to dislike Wilson threads.

Let’s move on folks, he’s a Bronco and will be soon annoying many of those fans with his fake persona.

He is undoubtedly a good person who has done much for others in his community but he always has his agenda which is to advance his brand.

I’d rather talk more about actual Seahawks players.
Cant agree there. I think when you push back on Russ and try to show evidence that the guy shares a good bit of blame for being in the rut the team perpetually found itself in, it all gets washed into the hate category. Never having a clear picture of what has happened with this team, whether the xs and os on the field or in the culture wars behind closed doors, leaves fans in a forum like this, taking sides and pointing fingers. If at the end of the day, after all the truth is there to see, a person still wants to be "'team Russ' or 'Team PC" thats cool. But at least we can maybe get to a point where the conversations are a little bit deeper, based on fact, and as a result, substantive. Understanding why and how we failed is valuable. regardless of who did right or wrong. Absent real true data and evidence, we are at best just chickens pecking at the dirt.

flv2

Reaction score
The story is either fabricated, comes from Wilson, comes from Schottenheimer, or comes from someone else who was on the coaching staff at that time. I don't think it comes from Wilson or Schottenheimer.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
For the record I don't think Russ is an "evil person" or anything by any means. I still think things like his Tuesday visits to the hospital were genuine and not fake. As time went on he kept saying he wanted to not just win multiple Super Bowls but be known as "the best". Even if there were multiple Super Bowls in Seattle, I doubt he goes down as the best ever with the style the Hawks would have used to win. In that way, yes it did become a lot about himself and his brand as much as the team. You only need to look at his social media profile to see that. He was no longer "no time to sleep" or "the separation is in the preparation" Russ. It was just much "check out our now (insert product here)" Russ as anything, and some of the pics with Ciara that were uncomfortable to look at lol.
He seemed like just "the perfect guy" or I bought in and thought so. But he's flawed like everyone. I will miss some of those amazing plays he would make though like getting out of trouble and finding a receiver or those beautiful arcs that would fall into Lockett's or Metcalf's arms for TDs.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score

Sure is looking like Pete, again, shielded his quarterback from criticism and fell on the sword.

RW is the best flag football qb the NFL has ever seen. He’s great at the pro bowl skills competition, but with people in his face, and he wilts.

Last edited:

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
The over reaction of him being not that good is funny by some posters. He is a HOF player. He also has his struggles and weaknesses that he never seemed to fix. It may just be more of his height that caused the main issues.

Also, his personality is phony. He is not Mr Rogers. It is what it is. I have been silent on this topic for enough time. Russ is a HOF QB with a major weakness that is most likely due to his height. This makes quick hitters and him bailing from a good pocket the issue.

toffee

Reaction score
The over reaction of him being not that good is funny by some posters. He is a HOF player. He also has his struggles and weaknesses that he never seemed to fix. It may just be more of his height that caused the main issues.

Also, his personality is phony. He is not Mr Rogers. It is what it is. I have been silent on this topic for enough time. Russ is a HOF QB with a major weakness that is most likely due to his height. This makes quick hitters and him bailing from a good pocket the issue.
If Russ's career level off, at slightly above last year's performance. His HOF opportunity will be based on his 2 sb appearances, 1 ring, also one bad throw that caused his team a ring. 8 or was 9 probowl, 1 all pro second team, and no MVP. His 1 ring could even be argued, carried by defense and Marshawn. Russ will stop at nothing to get that MVP, that would be his ticket.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Russ will stop at nothing to get that MVP, that would be his ticket.
I want every player on the Seahawks to stop at nothing to be the most valuable player. Don't you? That's what made the LOB and guys like Lynch, Carson and Bennett so awesome to watch in those days.

Are you listening Penny, DK, Meyers?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The story is either fabricated, comes from Wilson, comes from Schottenheimer, or comes from someone else who was on the coaching staff at that time. I don't think it comes from Wilson or Schottenheimer.
Where there is smoke, there is fire. There are too many of these reports from former teammates. It's like when there were reports about Seattle shopping Wilson and Wilson wanting out. People called it "unsubstantiated" and "fake". People claimed the media and people like Cowherd were just trying to drum up controversy in the offseason and get clicks (despite cowherd being personal friends with Wilson). What happened? Wilson forced his way out of Seattle.

Wilson is a fake and a prima donna. At Wilson's core he is the same type of guy as Aaron Rodgers, but at least Aaron Rodgers doesn't put up a fake front and pretend.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

Wilson is a good QB, but he's limited compared to many of his contemporaries. He is by and far one of the most unique QB's I've ever seen in the NFL. If you look at the QB archetype of players that have succeeded in the NFL, Wilson by all accounts should be a backup QB.

Wilson is really bad at the short timing throws. He avoids huge swaths of the field, Wilson's short accuracy is inconsistent. He can be easily baited at the LOS by the defense. He doesn't like playing with structure or in the pocket.

Despite all of this he could very well be an HOF caliber QB. Wilson is probably the best QB I've seen at throwing on the run. His ability to improvise and create is unparalleled in the modern NFL. His deep ball accuracy is among the best in the entire NFL, if not the best.

Wilson is no slouch and a special player, but I suspect his time as being a top tier passer is coming to an end. He's losing a step and he refuses to adjust his game. Schottenheimer tried fixing him, keep in mind Schottenheimer is seen as a top tier QB coach. Despite not being known as a great OC, his players have always listened to him and bought into what he is selling. Luck, and Brees specifically credited Schottenheimer for fixing their game. The problem with Wilson is his self-indulgent style of play.

Wilson didn't want to do what Schottenheimer asked of him. He didn't want to play within the structures and bounds of an offense. That at its core is what has held Wilson back from being a multiple time MVP. He's rested on his laurels, stopped trying to overcome his deficiencies. Wilson is a player that has rarely played an entire complete game. He is like Mohammed Ali playing the rope a dope, just waiting for the defense to get complacent so he can shoot a moonball. Unfortunately, this leads to 3 and outs, untimely sacks and an offense that only picks up chunk yardage.

At the end of the day, Wilson wasn't a team player. I'm curious to see how he plays underneath an offensive oriented coach in Denver. If we still see the same things we saw in a Schottenheimer/Bevell/Waldron offense, i think it will be really telling. Wilson really is the modern iteration of Ben Roethlisberger.

Last edited: