Source: Russell Wilson Wanted Schottenheimer Fired

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Going with Fade on this one.
After a guy gets traded or let go, teams sometimes begin a slow drip of information ...some true/some false in order to paint the player a certain way so it more easily justifies the decision.

Pete consistently screwed with Schotty's calls. We WATCHED IT. Sure it impacted success and it wasn't a shock to anyone that he was let go after. Nobody had Wilson having a problem with Schotty on their radar either.
Wilson had some issues, both in his priorities and how he approached things. As well as his own need to build his brand/image.
But let's not pretend that Schotty didn't get gone because of Pete.

toffee

Reaction score
Going with Fade on this one.
After a guy gets traded or let go, teams sometimes begin a slow drip of information ...some true/some false in order to paint the player a certain way so it more easily justifies the decision.

Pete consistently screwed with Schotty's calls. We WATCHED IT. Sure it impacted success and it wasn't a shock to anyone that he was let go after. Nobody had Wilson having a problem with Schotty on their radar either.
Wilson had some issues, both in his priorities and how he approached things. As well as his own need to build his brand/image.
But let's not pretend that Schotty didn't get gone because of Pete.
Whether Schotty deserved to be fired is not the issue on this article, the issue was how Wilson handled it, supposingly, Wilson complained and wanted Schotty replaced, and Schotty was fire. All is well, no issues. BUT, after Schotty was fired, Wilson came up and announced that he didn't want Schotty fired.

chrispy

Reaction score
A few people in this thread have said, "Russel Wilson is a HOF QB." I'm just curious: Is there a consensus that Russel Wilson would go into the HOF if he got hit by a bus tomorrow?

It seems to me that he's not there yet. If he plays another 10 years and doesn't even win another SuperBowl, his stats will probably put him in anyway. ...so I think it's fair to expect him to wear a gold jacket. But right now? I don't know. That's just my impression. And if he's not a sure bet currently, of course, anything can happen in the future. I guess what I'm saying is that I see it as more-likely-than-not he ends up in the HOF. I also think there might be multiple plausible scenarios where he comes up short.

This is more of a question than a prediction. I just don't have the knowledge of the worst HOF QB to start making comparisons. Anyone?

(I think it's also relevant to the thread because some have suggested that a team should cater to their HOF QB, including listening to their input on OC hires.)

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Schotty should have been canned after the Dallas Cowboys playoff game debacle. If it were up to me, he would have been fired on the spot after that game.
I totally agree with this. It was such an embarrassing loss, I remember the bar I watched it at in Atlanta and I could literally feel people's pity as I was wearing one of my Seahawks' jerseys.

Also, **** Wilson. He was great while he was here but the divorce is final and we need to move on.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Whether Schotty deserved to be fired is not the issue on this article, the issue was how Wilson handled it, supposingly, Wilson complained and wanted Schotty replaced, and Schotty was fire. All is well, no issues. BUT, after Schotty was fired, Wilson came up and announced that he didn't want Schotty fired.
What a little two faced cuk..No wonder the team disliked him so much.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Pete didn't trust Schotty.

Pete was changing Shotty's plays after they were called, and causing delay of games, remember?

It's like people have a memory of a gold fish.
Goldfish actually have pretty good memories, Faded.

Anyway, yeah. Two things can be true.

keasley45

Reaction score
Pete didn't trust Schotty.

Pete was changing Shotty's plays after they were called, and causing delay of games, remember?

It's like people have a memory of a gold fish.
Are you talking about the one time he caused a delay of game because asbthe HC, he wanted a fG over a 4th down attempt?

keasley45

Reaction score
Cou
Whos to say that wasn't on Pete Carroll? Schottenheimer was known as a rank and file guy that executed his HC's vision to a fault. We've seen a lot of suspect play calling in our playoff games under Bevell as well that looked suspiciously like the Dallas game. Overall, Schottenheimer's run in Seattle wasn't a bad one, I was pleasantly surprised. We tend to get very vanilla and conservative in the playoffs.

Could be the suspect playcalling was resorting to a run game because against good defenses, we struggled to unhinge the offense unless we could get defenses to play the run and thus open up passing lanes for a guy who, as great as he was, wasn't known as an xs and os qb.

I agree that it wasn't pretty and sometimes looked like wayyyy overcompensating. But the passing game shoukd have been capable of moving defenses without having to go Full ground game.

And the stats over his time here do not support the idea that Russ was ever good at converting 3rd downs on known passing downs, you know... how Brady and Rodgers do week in and week out, and especially in thr playoffs. Russ converted 3rd downs at a decent clip early in his career when we were playing RG3 ball or when it came down to the 4th qtr and he just completely improvised. Otherwise, the only year he did well was 2019 and the tail end of 2020, both with Schotty, the only coordinator who held him to account, and we know how that ended.

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
This is how this went down: Someone from the Seahawks FO told Corbin Smith this very recently under the guise of "anonymity." Which gives cover for all the Team BS you wish to have for PR spin.

Ask yourself why is this being reported now? Why not immediately after Schotty was fired. Team propaganda, pure and simple.

https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-s...ophical-differences-led-to-coordinator-change

Read all reports, any article you can find on Shotty's firing at the time, none come to this conclusion. It was about Pete and his philosophy. This is also what Wilson was butting heads with and why he is gone.

After the trade of Wilson, Pete opened his presser talking about his philosophy, and not changing it for any player. Justifying the trade for this reason, and that he wanted to keep Wilson. Wilson wasn't on board with Pete, hadn't been for a while.

Who will be right? One or the other, both? Who knows, we'll find out soon enough.

FO is protecting themselves.

Joe Fann the only good reporter to cover the Seahawks in recent years, got it out of Pete. On Seattle's final offensive possession against the Rams in the playoffs they were hit with a delay of game.

Pete said he didn't like Shotty's call, and changed it to a new play, which caused the delay of game, and then punted while trailing in the 4 qtr.

This was also the same Corbin Smith who tweeted that Wilson wasn't going anywhere. And a few hours later he was traded to the Broncos. Corbin knows the game of football, but he licks the Seahawks boots.

Last edited:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yep. This is a drip campaign from the FO. Clearly.

Teams do this all the time. It usually ends up half-true or 1/4 true but nowhere near as egregious as the leak/drip implies.

But the FO doing drips and 'anonymously' exaggerating in leaks about Wilson happened last summer and it freaking happened during the Let Russ Cook campaign. It isn't new. I called it out then and clearly calling it out now.

More of the failure of this team in the playoffs is on Pete than Wilson, and a lot of the success of this team in the past 5 years was more despite Pete rather than because of him.

Not that it matters. Wilson isn't here. Neither is Schotty.
So the only person left responsible for that abysmal failure is pretty much Pete now.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not really. I called it out then. There is a record of it. Wilson was here then. I was a supposed 'Wilson hater' then.
IT IS STANDARD PROCEDURE FOR TEAMS TO DO THIS.

This is literally part of the playbook pre-trade or pre-release AND post-trade/post-release. We happen to be at the post part of the event, but they were doing this earlier.

Nothing is new, novel, or even confined to the Seahawks. This is standard PR 101 for Sports.

keasley45

Reaction score
Not really. I called it out then. There is a record of it. Wilson was here then. I was a supposed 'Wilson hater' then.
IT IS STANDARD PROCEDURE FOR TEAMS TO DO THIS.

This is literally part of the playbook pre-trade or pre-release AND post-trade/post-release. We happen to be at the post part of the event, but they were doing this earlier.

Nothing is new, novel, or even confined to the Seahawks. This is standard PR 101 for Sports.
Who else have the Seahawks done this too? Sherm ripped Carrol and the team. Pete ignored it and praised him. Thomas gave Pete and basically the franchise the finger on his way out and not a single word in anger from the FO or Pete. But now there's a conspiracy to undermine Russ??

The love for Wilson is strong. Jesus...

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Who else have the Seahawks done this too? Sherm ripped Carrol and the team. Pete ignored it and praised him. Thomas gave Pete and basically the franchise the finger on his way out and not a single word in anger from the FO or Pete. But now there's a conspiracy to undermine Russ??

Hey! Stop using inconvenient facts!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
And if that’s true, I can understand Pete saying it because he believes so much in being positive and building people up. The LOB may have seen it as coddling, and perhaps it was to some degree. But I also think it was just Pete being Pete and them not seeing that.
I have to agree with this, I too thought that there's a difference in how the HC & his Franchise Quarterback is a different kind of gig than his relationship with the rest of his players.
Pete's screw-up was his determination to overly protect Wilson from teammate critics only widened the rift, Wilson's thumb in the eye to Pete was the thanks he got for going to bat for the guy.
What Pete should have told Wilson, a few years back is 'Hey, you run the show your way when you become the H.C.
I think Pete held onto the idea that Russ would maybe take to another OC & 'Get It'....It just wasn't in Wilson's wheelhouse, thus, the Chasm grew wider, and resentment set in.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

We also have to understand that this is a move that could cost Carroll and the rest of the FO their careers. This is the type of move that sinks coaches/FOs. He could end up looking brilliant, or he could end up being destroyed. There is more of a vested interest in painting this move in a positive light.

I do tend to agree with this article though. Wilson has shown us through his actions that he is two faced. Just look at the incongruencies that have always existed between his words and actions.

keasley45

Reaction score
Yup. Don't see why there's any doubt anymore. There have been rumblings from as early as 2013. None of this is new. Just confirmation.

I mean, B Wagz even blew Russ's lie up about not knowing he was going to be traded until the day of when the FO called him. Bobby said Russ tried to recruit him to Denver two weeks before... enthusiastically. Guess Bobby is working the Seahawks PR machine too? Give me a break.

All world talent. All world showman.

rcaido

Reaction score
Yup. Don't see why there's any doubt anymore. There have been rumblings from as early as 2013. None of this is new. Just confirmation.

I mean, B Wagz even blew Russ's lie up about not knowing he was going to be traded until the day of when the FO called him. Bobby said Russ tried to recruit him to Denver two weeks before... enthusiastically. Guess Bobby is working the Seahawks PR machine too? Give me a break.

All world talent. All world showman.
According to Bobby he did not try to recruit him.

keasley45

Reaction score
Nice cleanup work, Bobby. Just a conversation between friends...

So they were both talking about wanting to stay in Seattle... but Russ told the FO about how he wasn't signing another contract here.

Got it.

Last edited: