Shelby Harris - "Seattle is a Purgatory "

CPHawk

Reaction score
Harris played for two franchise that played in 4 combined SB in the 10 years before he showed up. Neither franchise won a playoff game with him on it. Maybe he’s the issue?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Jesus christ.

I'm just gonna respond bit by bit.

Again, you were referring to "crying" in a context that implied you really meant "complaining." He wasn't complaining. If you were actually talking about literal crying (you weren't), then you phrased it incredibly poorly (no, you meant what you meant and now you're playing a semantic game.)

Being in the top half of the top 50 interior defensive linemen IS better than average. That isn't mediocre. I'm not sure how you can actually try to argue against this, as it's pretty basic math at this point. Your Gods at PFF had him as a top-20 run defender in his lone season here, in addition. So, yes, the discussion is about the top 50 players, which Shelby placed higher than the average in by the metrics YOU YOURSELF use to back up your argument.

Yet again, proving my point that people use PFF grades to support conclusions that the grades themselves in NO WAY support!

What's next? Taking the top-32 receivers, picking the one that grades out as the 15th best in the league, and then calling him mediocre? It's such faulty logic.

This is heavily oversimplified and slightly erroneous. Seattle ran more legit 3-4 in 2021 than they did 2022. They were a multiple front that really ran mostly nickel 2-4/4-2 stuff. They had success when running the 3-4 stuff in 2022 (just like they did when running 3-4/bear front stuff in 2021) but generally didn't do it enough.

In addition, the scheme was poorly implemented and the run defense was atrocious. You cannot blame this on PFF certified top-20 run defender Shelby Harris, however, unless you'd like to eat shit on the PFF point.

While the defense around him was fairly atrocious, I agree with PFF however that Shelby was all-around above-average and put in a more inspired effort than essentially anyone else on that front did. He played his ass off, was a bona fide plus run defender, and added some stability and know-how to a unit in shambles.

How anyone can begrudge the guy for having a certifiably good year for us and then leaving just because he's talking about how he didn't want to be traded at the time in 2022 and doesn't like 200 days of rain a year is beyond me. It's so fragile.
He cried/complained AND he cried literally. What don't you not get about this?? You're the one playing semantics here. :rolleyes:

Saying the top half of the PFF grades is good and the bottom is bad is an oversimplistic way of looking at it. The reality is that there are a bunch of above average guys, a bunch of average guys and a bunch of below average guys. No one is going to group Harris in with Donald and say yeah they're about the same.

How much of a poorly implemented scheme is on the coaches and how much is on the players who have to execute it? Both groups share some blame here. As you said yourself, the execution of those around him was "atrocious". However the big negative, per PFF, for Harris in 2022 was his tackling miss rate of 12%, one of his worst years. That is more about the player than about the scheme.

I'm not saying he had a bad year but it wasn't one of his best, it was average. Don't like Seattle? Fine, don't resign but be a professional and give it your all no matter where you play. There's a reason he's not in Denver anymore after 5 seasons as a Bronco.

FWIW - Growing up in Michigan, I'd rather drive in rain than snow any day.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
It sucks getting moved from a place you like living. I had to do it once for work and I was miserable for a year. It’s natural to hate that city, State when it happens.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
It wasn't intentionally disrespectful towards Seattle. He was at home in Denver and didn't want to be anywhere else. Almost every other NFL location would have been a negative for him. Trading for a player whose family has settled is always a risk.

With hindsight trading for disgruntled players now seems less risky/more attractive.
He plays in the NFL, there are only 32 teams he can play for and most states, including Colorado, only have one team. Getting emotionally entrenched has consequences that may not be good for your overall career.

chris98251

Reaction score
He made enough to have homes in both places, he was on a rental contract, he if desired could have his family stay there or move here and visit regularly or go there. He had the money. Now he is in Cleveland, doesn't all these same issues apply there?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
He made enough to have homes in both places, he was on a rental contract, he if desired could have his family stay there or move here and visit regularly or go there. He had the money. Now he is in Cleveland, doesn't all these same issues apply there?
Sure he could have his family anywhere he wants but if it's not in the city where he plays he won't get to see them everyday. Your right though, he could have done that and not had to uproot his family and mess with all the great stuff they had going on in Denver. Buy a house in your new team city and fly home whenever you can.

He chose to cry about it instead.

toffee

Reaction score
Harris went to college in Illinois. He was drafted by the Raiders and played two years with them, signed by the Broncos after the Raiders, and played 5 years in Denver. He was traded to the Seahawks by the Broncos and played one year in Seattle, now he's in Cleveland.

He has been moving around a lot over his career, why he singled out his year with the Hawks is a mystery to me, his grandma didn't teach him only said good things.

Unless he already blew his fortune away. Oherwise as Chris98251 said, he could have houses in both Denver and Seattle.