QBs Geno, Lock look uneven, struggling

Scout

Reaction score
I have felt that the starting job will be settled during the pre season because that is when you can truly gauge how the QBs handle real pressure from opposing teams.

Basically the QB that shows the most composure will win the job IMO.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The starting job is probably going to change multiple times. That's how things generally go with QB setups like this.

toffee

Reaction score
Both Geno and Lock has strong arms and are reasonably mobile, so they got the basic minimum to be a NFL QB. What prevented them to shine? Poor coaching in their initial years, decision making in executions, and lack of poise under pressure.

Decision making could be helped by game planning and play calling, poise under pressure is hard to coach, but game success adds to confidence and confidence adds to poise under pressure.

My fingers crossed.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Both Geno and Lock has strong arms and are reasonably mobile, so they got the basic minimum to be a NFL QB. What prevented them to shine? Poor coaching in their initial years, decision making in executions, and lack of poise under pressure.

Decision making could be helped by game planning and play calling, poise under pressure is hard to coach, but game success adds to confidence and confidence adds to poise under pressure.

My fingers crossed.
Marty Mornhinweg was the OC on the Jets in Geno's first two years. Mornhinweg has coached five different quarterbacks who earned Pro Bowl selections - Brett Favre, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, and Michael Vick.

In Drew's case he had Rich Scangarello in 2019 (rookie year)- don't know much about him and Pat Shurmur in 2020 and 2021. Shurmur was Donovan McNabb's QB coach in 2002, Nick Foles coach with the Eagles (during his breakout season), and Case Keenum's coach in 2017 with Vikings (they made the playoffs and beat Saints).

I don't believe bad coaching is an issue in their case. They both were under reputable QB coaches for the most part.

Last edited:

Rosco

Reaction score
Marty Mornhinweg was the OC on the Jets in Geno's first two years. Mornhinweg has coached five different quarterbacks who earned Pro Bowl selections - Brett Favre, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, and Michael Vick.

In Drew's case he had Rich Scangarello in 2019 (rookie year)- don't know much about him and Pat Shurmur in 2020 and 2021. Shurmur was Donovan McNabb's QB coach in 2002, Nick Foles coach with the Eagles (during his breakout season), and Case Keenum's coach in 2017 with Vikings (they made the playoffs and beat Saints).

I don't believe bad coaching is an issue in their cases. They both were under reputable coaches for the most part.
Pat Schurmer isn’t a reputable coach by any means. There’s a reason he’s out of a job

Rosco

Reaction score

I don't believe bad coaching is an issue in their case. They both were under reputable coaches for the most part.
He may be a half way decent QB coach but he is a terrible play caller.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
He may be a half way decent QB coach but he is a terrible play caller.
My mistake for not making it clear I meant as a QB coach. Jim Zorn is another example of a good QB coach (he developed Matt Hasselbeck) who didn't have success as a play caller. There are plenty of cases like that.

keasley45

Reaction score

Looks like our guys aren't the only QBs struggling in camp.

It's training camp. Qbs will struggle. Even the proven guys.

Guarantee you even though they say Geno knows 'the system', the majority of what they're running in camp is fairly new to him as well. The terminology may not be, but we ran Shane's offense for only a handful of games last year, and at that, likely few plays that he'd install for less... onorthodox qbs.

They've got a month to get right. If they're still having issues come week 1, we'll that will be something to discuss. Thing is though, they will have issues, regardless of who wins the job. Like with Russ, the challenge for the coaching staff will be masking those deficiencies.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
From the tweets I am seeing from the mock game today, Lock has done pretty well, although it might be against the #2 D

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Both QBs are backups at best. This really shouldn't come as a surprise.

Those of you roasting Wilson will wish he was back by Week 2.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score

Looks like our guys aren't the only QBs struggling in camp.

It's training camp. Qbs will struggle. Even the proven guys.

Guarantee you even though they say Geno knows 'the system', the majority of what they're running in camp is fairly new to him as well. The terminology may not be, but we ran Shane's offense for only a handful of games last year, and at that, likely few plays that he'd install for less... onorthodox qbs.

They've got a month to get right. If they're still having issues come week 1, we'll that will be something to discuss. Thing is though, they will have issues, regardless of who wins the job. Like with Russ, the challenge for the coaching staff will be masking those deficiencies.

Hepefully they (the Broncos) are still working the bugs out week one and we can take advantage. Wishful thinking I know but I'd really like to see the Seahawks win this one.

toffee

Reaction score
Hepefully they (the Broncos) are still working the bugs out week one and we can take advantage. Wishful thinking I know but I'd really like to see the Seahawks win this one.
Here we go "Let Russ Cook", here we go.

Time for Russ to flex his muscle, and let Nathaniel Hackett know WHO's THE BOSS. Another game like this one, Russ' media army, talking heads, interns like John63 will fire at will. Nathaniel Hackett may as well, start kowtowing the a sure fire first ballot HOF QB.

keasley45

Reaction score

Honestly, I think Russ and the Donks are going to walk right into a buzz saw. The Hawks know Russ inside and out. Hackett can't change him. And the Donks don't know what they're gonna get from our defense. The one thing that Russ relied upon, the big play, is the single thing that even when our D was hemorrhaging yards in 2020 and 2021 didn't give up.

They gave up the dink and dunks and 13 yard darts on 3rd and 12. That's not Russ's game. Never has been.

It's not even going to be close.

And the question after will be whether the ass whipping we hand him will be SO damaging that it derails his 'Let's Ride' campaign before it even gets started.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Honestly, I think Russ and the Donks are going to walk right into a buzz saw. The Hawks know Russ inside and out. Hackett can't change him. And the Donks don't know what they're gonna get from our defense. The one thing that Russ relied upon, the big play, is the single thing that even when our D was hemorrhaging yards in 2020 and 2021 didn't give up.

They gave up the dink and dunks and 13 yard darts on 3rd and 12. That's not Russ's game. Never has been.

It's not even going to be close.

And the question after will be whether the ass whipping we hand him will be SO damaging that it derails his 'Let's Ride' campaign before it even gets started.

I remember the Peyton Manning/Bronco hype before SB 48. The press were all over them and we were a second thought. Just some team people knew little about and they had the Broncos crowned before the game began.

Although not as big of a stage, I'm getting the same type of vibe. I hope that we surprize people this year and like another poster said, leave them to where they lose to the next team after us.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Seahawks tended to have some really rough 1st games of the season. They tended to be tight because we stumbled all over ourselves in that first game.

So if you want to look back, you could easily say that the 1st games tended to be games Russ was pretty off, rusty, or whatever.
It isn't completely out of bounds to suggest we could beat the Broncos in that first game.

I highly doubt it. But the numbers suggest it is possible.
If the slow starts were from Carroll? Then no. But if they were from Russ? Then sure.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Why would we want him back in week 2 after the 'Hawks shit stomp the Broncos in week 1?
I love the optimism. But let's be real.

Teams are going to stack the box and force either of our terrible QBs to beat them over the top. Which they won't.

Call me a hater or a troll. Whatever you want.

Heck I wish the Hawks destroy Denver week 1 as well. They're not that great of a team either.

But our QB situation right now is an abomination. Let's be real about that.

toffee

Reaction score
I love the optimism. But let's be real.

Teams are going to stack the box and force either of our terrible QBs to beat them over the top. Which they won't.

Call me a hater or a troll. Whatever you want.

Heck I wish the Hawks destroy Denver week 1 as well. They're not that great of a team either.

But our QB situation right now is an abomination. Let's be real about that.
See this is how toffee's brand of homerism works: Our boys are probowlers until proven otherwise. Be real? real will come soon enough, I am just enjoying NOW.