Votes: 134 56.3%
  • Overpaid

Votes: 102 42.9%
  • Underpaid

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Parallax

Reaction score
A proper valuation of a trade includes the possibility that a draft pick might bust. Williams is the bird, the pick is in the bush.
If you want sustained success in the NFL, a team has to have a great scouting department and a functional front office that allows it to him on a good percentage of its picks. KC and Baltimore both stand out for me as teams that do that. A few years ago, when we took Eskridge, all the fans on the site where I was watching the draft unfold were screaming for Creed Humphrey. You know what happened. Of course KC jumped all over the opportunity when they had the chance. That's when we were still drafting for "need" and word was that Waldron and Carroll wanted a third receiver. Which is fine, but the way to get one is not to reach in the draft. But it seemed Carroll never got the importance of the center position, perhaps thinking good guards and tackles could overcome the need for skill and strength up the middle.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
If you want sustained success in the NFL, a team has to have a great scouting department and a functional front office that allows it to him on a good percentage of its picks. KC and Baltimore both stand out for me as teams that do that. A few years ago, when we took Eskridge, all the fans on the site where I was watching the draft unfold were screaming for Creed Humphrey. You know what happened. Of course KC jumped all over the opportunity when they had the chance. That's when we were still drafting for "need" and word was that Waldron and Carroll wanted a third receiver. Which is fine, but the way to get one is not to reach in the draft. But it seemed Carroll never got the importance of the center position, perhaps thinking good guards and tackles could overcome the need for skill and strength up the middle.
You're correct on all counts, and it still does nothing to elevate the status of a second-round pick to "pure certainty".

Parallax

Reaction score
You're correct on all counts, and it still does nothing to elevate the status of a second-round pick to "pure certainty".
True. You have to hit a decent percentage of them. You're not gonna get them all. Would be interesting to find a way to measure the efficiency of each team's drafts from year to year. The early Carroll/Schneider drafts were historically outstanding. Sherman in the 5th? You kidding me?

Not sure why it declined so steeply. Went from by far the best in the league to downright bad until 2022. And then something seemed to shift and suddenly we were drafting smart again, for the most part. I'll be curious to see how Schneider, without Carroll, handles it this year.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I stated it back in October and I’ll state it again. This was a terrible trade for the Seahawks especially if he leaves via free agency. Even if they re-sign him it’s still very bad. There was no way the Giants were going to keep him after last year so he would’ve been a free agent anyway for us to sign without having to give up any draft capital. I don’t know who made the call on this (John or Pete) but just terrible all around. There is no way this team was going deep last year and to give up very good draft capital for a guy that’s going to be a free agent was just beyond stupid.

Last edited:

projectorfreak

Reaction score
It was definitely a desparation move
That's the kind of move that puts a team into cap hell or having very little draft ability to do much else
Hopefully those days are over now with that said I wouldn't be upset by signing him to a 2 or 3 year deal cuz he is a really good player but the aftermath didn't help us one bit so the end did not justify the means as we weren't going to the playoffs just because we got him and now we have a really much more challenging draft because of it
To me it screams a bit of a panic move by pete , like he said to JS , I don't care what it takes , just get him
My 2Cents

Parallax

Reaction score
It was definitely a desparation move
That's the kind of move that puts a team into cap hell or having very little draft ability to do much else
Hopefully those days are over now with that said I wouldn't be upset by signing him to a 2 or 3 year deal cuz he is a really good player but the aftermath didn't help us one bit so the end did not justify the means as we weren't going to the playoffs just because we got him and now we have a really much more challenging draft because of it
To me it screams a bit of a panic move by pete , like he said to JS , I don't care what it takes , just get him
My 2Cents
I'm with you right until "I don't care what it takes, just get him". That's the kind of thinking that got us the Adams deal. The draft picks are gone. Nothing can get them back. Now it makes sense to sign him if we can get it done at a reasonable number. Otherwise, it's smart to let him walk. Economists speak of the sunk cost fallacy. People double down on bad moves because they don't recognize that sunk costs are, well, sunk. Overpaying Williams just makes it worse. Throwing good resources after bad.

warden

Reaction score
Depends on if we resign him or not. Was his half year playing with the Seahawks enough for him to consider us strongly to sign with us?

nwHawk

Reaction score
Would love to resign him. Might ultimately depend on $$$. Teams are going to throw big money at him, question is, how much will it take to keep him without killing the overall team. He’s going want more than Dre Jones.

warden

Reaction score
No issues with the trade, I have issues with them not signing him to an extension when they made the trade

Parallax

Reaction score
No issues with the trade, I have issues with them not signing him to an extension when they made the trade
When I was a baseball fan, sometimes trades were paused to see if a contract extension could be worked out with the new team. If so, the deal went through.

We don't really see that in football but I think we should. Otherwise, sunk costs give the player a perceived advantage and teams sign bad deals.

Jville

Reaction score
The team just got much better.

Whining for the sake of whining. It really is exhausting and there is apparently no immediate outcome that can satisfy the obsessive whine. When whine is your primary calling card, I would personally feel cursed. It can't possibly be enjoyable.

Fans that can't accept success. Can't stop and enjoy the moment. It must feel like drowning with no opportunity to come up for air. That incessant ball and chain of whine around the neck. Is the attention from shared angst really that rewarding?

The inexplicable part? When does the satisfaction come? Is fandom an on/off switch that can only be activated at the conclusion of a Super Bowl victory? Self-relegated misery all the way until that trophy presentation?

I would rather give up football fandom than to endure such self-induced pain. Nonstop self-inflicted misery that for some reason, must be brought here to be shared with everyone else.

The Williams whining has supplanted the Adams whining. Although, there doesn't seem to be a limit to whining subjects. Must be some kind of mental addiction. Carriers seem to spread it like a virus.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
you could argue he was the best player on the defense during his time here, at least on the D line.

It feels like a select few want them to not re-sign him, just so they can tell us all how crappy the trade was etc.
Even if they re-sign him, giving up a second rounder, and fifth rounder was insane. He was going to be a free agent anyway so why make the trade?

PS The only reason, but it’s really a reach, is that he got to play for Seattle and thought it was a good place and maybe because of that he would re-sign with them. It’s a major stretch though to give up that draft for that reason.

Mase

Reaction score
- Funny how so many people like to talk about "go for it", "shoot your shot", "take the risk", until someone does, and it doesn't necessarily work out. We saw the chance to get a very good defensive lineman to a team in desperate need of one. Seeing as how Pete was just fir.... I mean re-assigned, he was right to think he needed a big push for the playoffs. If Williams does leave, maybe we get a comp pick and that guy becomes a superstar. Who knows. But hey, if you really need another Dee Eskridge or Malik McDowell, instead of making a play for a legitimate contributor, then you do you. (And yes, I know, Wagner, DK, K9, but you see my point) CRAP SHOOT.

Mase

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Meh, it is what it is. Hopefully they re-sign him. Again, every front office makes bad moves too, can't hit a HR every time.

A lot of people on here bitch and moan about almost EVERYTHING this team does, so.......

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
The Williams whining has supplanted the Adams whining. Although, there doesn't seem to be a limit to whining subjects. Must be some kind of mental addiction. Carriers seem to spread it like a virus.
When teams are good, fans like to mostly talk about the good things. When teams are poor, they like to point out things that are wrong. The trade sucked no matter how you look at it. Not whining, fact!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. But there is the fact that sometimes guys just go sign some ridiculous deal. Then you should ask yourself "should the Hawks have paid that?"
And often it's hell no.

Parallax

Reaction score
We disagree. Just as those who don't think Geno is a particularly good QB aren't "haters". I care about my team. I care about stupid moves. It's frustrating to lose a second rounder, particularly this year when there's so much value. I see it as Exhibit A in why it was long past time for Carroll to go.

Latest posts