Votes: 134 56.3%
  • Overpaid

Votes: 102 42.9%
  • Underpaid

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Parallax

Reaction score
I could see Penix going in the first. I could see him going in the second or third. Hard to imagine him slipping beyond that. Every year there are guys who go higher and lower than expected by fans and the media. Penix sure throws a pretty pass but there are legitimate concerns.

Jville

Reaction score
Your pejorative framing reveals that you're not being honest. Which is my problem with Seattle culture. I'd rather you just tell me your truth and not try to be overly polite. I mean, sure, don't be an ass. But I'd rather have an honest discussion rather than a veiled one.

I hope you don't insist on infecting Seattle with your New York culture. Leave it behind. Make good your escape from New York.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sorry Parallax, but there is ZERO chance Penix goes to the 3rd round. He's not even making it past mid 2nd round. Late first or early 2nd.
And before you wanna' go down this road, answer a question honestly. How many games did you watch Penix play the last 2 years.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
The whining about the perceived (and future) whining is worse than the whining which isn’t really whining. The whiners about whining need to get a life and comment on the opinions instead of calling anything they don’t agree with as “whining.“

we gave up too much for Williams without an extension in place. He is a good player and I hope they resign him. If they do not and we do not get a comp pick then it has not good deal. Oh and sorry for whining expressing an opinion.

Parallax

Reaction score
I hope you don't insist on infecting Seattle with your New York culture. Leave it behind. Make good your escape from New York.
There are parts of New York culture that I consider virtuous. My wife and I make a point of not jaywalking. We live in a smallish city and we don't want to change that aspect of life here, as we think it's smarter and safer. But I don't think the Seattle propensity to not really speak one's mind is healthy. I do believe in politeness. One doesn't always get that in New York. So I strive to combine Seattle courteousness with New York authenticity.

Rat

Reaction score
I get why our front office pulled the trigger on this, as they sure didn't see the offseason being what it has been, but it was definitely short-sighted for a team that was further away from contending than Pete seemed to think at the time. It would be really nice to have had that second-rounder for more flexibility in this upcoming draft, particularly if there's a QB we want to make a move for. What's also frustrating is that the whole reason the Giants finagled a second-rounder from us is that we thought we needed them to take on salary, but now we're sitting nicely under the cap. Feels like we didn't need to do that, but I'm the furthest thing from a cap expert.

I'd be happy re-signing Williams, although Christian Wilkins would be phenomenal if we could somehow work that.

Parallax

Reaction score
I get why our front office pulled the trigger on this, as they sure didn't see the offseason being what it has been, but it was definitely short-sighted for a team that was further away from contending than Pete seemed to think at the time. It would be really nice to have had that second-rounder for more flexibility in this upcoming draft, particularly if there's a QB we want to make a move for. What's also frustrating is that the whole reason the Giants finagled a second-rounder from us is that we thought we needed them to take on salary, but now we're sitting nicely under the cap. Feels like we didn't need to do that, but I'm the furthest thing from a cap expert.

I'd be happy re-signing Williams, although Christian Wilkins would be phenomenal if we could somehow work that.
We didn't have the cap space last year to take on Williams unless the Giants ate most of his salary. We ought to do something similar to get draft capital now. Use what we have to take on part of Geno's salary or Tyler's and get as much for those guys as possible. Ideally, draft picks this year, as this draft is loaded on the OL, where we desperately need talent.

King Dog

Reaction score
If Schneider could stop giving away high draft picks that would be great mmmmm kkkkkkk

GemCity

Reaction score
If we didn’t re-sign, that would’ve been a very narrow, short sighted trade.

I’m just hoping he doesn’t come off demanding something crazy $$ wise. He certainly has leverage here considering the way he played.

Something about again vets, more than halfway or near the end of their careers, worries me in situations like these.

Parallax

Reaction score
Yes. Third contract, aging vet. Some of our worst signings have been overly generous contracts to guys around his age. In my view, it was a short sighted trade regardless of whether he signs. I'm hoping that without Pete, Schneider stops making boneheaded moves but we'll see.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Sorry Parallax, but there is ZERO chance Penix goes to the 3rd round. He's not even making it past mid 2nd round. Late first or early 2nd.
And before you wanna' go down this road, answer a question honestly. How many games did you watch Penix play the last 2 years.
Same advice I gave before. Makes the forums a lot more tolerable.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Resigning Williams isn't sunk cost fallacy, it's necessary business in the NFL. You need quality defensive linemen. We have been without solid interior presence since 2015 and it's shown.

Sure, I don't like the price tag. But it's magical thinking to assume that because MontanaHawk05 doesn't like the price tag, the market will cringe in embarrassment over the error of their ways and start falling over themselves to cooperate with what he wants. These guys are the natural predators of QB's and, like QB's, the market doesn't give a rat's ass what anyone wants to pay. Some positions are just outrageously expensive and that's just the way it's gonna stay.

If you don't like it, take it up with the league for making the game so QB-centric. Can you say Tuck Rule?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Had to be Pete making the call. This trade was another example of Pete's long-term failure as a GM. The trade itself would have been "OK" if we were "close", but the recurring pattern of trading away draft picks for rentals to prop up Pete in-season was a bad one. Sheldon Richardson and others. Duane Brown at least we re-signed. Better to endure a 5-11 season here and there and actually build a core of young, cheap, talented players like the team did in 2011-2014.

Seeing JS and MikeMac cleaning up Pete's GM mess, purging bad contracts, unproductive, overpaid players just shows how delusional Pete became, one questionable deal at a time. Like the "logic" behind the Harvin deal (buy 1st round talent with a 1st round pick) , it sorta made sense at the time, but as a recurring pattern, just NO.
I stated it back in October and I’ll state it again. This was a terrible trade for the Seahawks especially if he leaves via free agency. Even if they re-sign him it’s still very bad. There was no way the Giants were going to keep him after last year so he would’ve been a free agent anyway for us to sign without having to give up any draft capital. I don’t know who made the call on this (John or Pete) but just terrible all around. There is no way this team was going deep last year and to give up very good draft capital for a guy that’s going to be a free agent was just beyond stupid.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Good grief, now we're whining about whining or some such schitt. A lot of what is being kicked around was unknowable at the time of the Williams trade. However, enough was knowable to see the pattern. The Williams rental leads AWAY from Pete (and John's) *past* winning formula of tons of young talent massively overperforming their (rookie) contracts, and leads, again, into CAP HELL. Recall we got Bobby with a 2nd and Sherman with a 5th. So trading away a 2nd and a 5th for a 10 game rental leads AWAY from the winning formula. This is why team brass had to fire Pete, this repeated pattern of prioritizing "Propping up Pete" over team long-term success.

The team used to spend FA dollars wisely on guys like Avril and Bennett. Now we're dealing with Williams who has "proven it" and we might need to break the bank to sign him. I'll leave it to JS to decide if it's worth it, relative to other FA available and their impact. To me it's clearer in hindsight that Pete and his impulsiveness with GM moves have been hamstringing the team for years.