PFF ranks Geno in NFC...

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Sam Monson with everyone's favorite site, Pro Football Focus, ranks his top 5 NFC QBs. Look at where Geno lands.

Oh, that's right, we can't see him. He's out of the top 5.

I'm flabbergasted that this guy has Derek freaking Carr over Geno. Derek Carr?? No. I put my foot down there. No way is Carr better than Smith.

And Stafford? No. Geno is better than Stafford. Heck, he's better than Dak. And he's better than Cousins. And Hurts? Overrated!

Geno should be #1 in the NFC. Who's with me??

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1685116064873.jpg
    FB_IMG_1685116064873.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 33

Donn2390

Reaction score
I like seeing Geno rated so far down, perhaps even a few rungs lower would be even better. Geno thrives in the role of the underdog and I'm sure this will give him even more incentive that he already has, to rise to the challenge.
I expect Geno to have even a better this this year than last, he might even finally be able to get all of the 12's in this room to realize that he is the real deal.
OK, so probably not everyone, we can always count on at least one poster to keep the rest of us well grounded, by pointing out that we are doomed to failure as long as long as Pete and Geno are at the controls.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Sam Monson with everyone's favorite site, Pro Football Focus, ranks his top 5 NFC QBs. Look at where Geno lands.

Oh, that's right, we can't see him. He's out of the top 5.

I'm flabbergasted that this guy has Derek freaking Carr over Geno. Derek Carr?? No. I put my foot down there. No way is Carr better than Smith.

And Stafford? No. Geno is better than Stafford. Heck, he's better than Dak. And he's better than Cousins. And Hurts? Overrated!

Geno should be #1 in the NFC. Who's with me??
All those other QB’s have a longer resume to draw from. If we are just looking at last season then IMHO you are correct. BUT every QB will have up and down years. Many believe that Geno played above his level and will regress back this season. I can’t entirely fault them for that opinion although it is not mine. We really still don’t know the real Geno until he gets another season or two as a starter under his belt to determine where he fits.
Besides ranking like this are always useless imho. Everyone is on a different team in a different situation at a different point in career. Society has to “rank” everything instead of just appreciating good play vs bad play. I do encourage ranking if will put a chip on ones shoulder;)

Mick063

Reaction score
Brought in a mauler guard and a technician center in the draft. Brought in a couple Chris Carson type running backs in the draft. Brought in the best slot receiver in the draft. Geno working chemistry with Dee Eskridge in his spare time.

Let's revisit this ranking after week 5.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Just looking what they have done on the field (i.e. ignoring how much cap they take up) I think tyou have to rank Hurts top. Someone (possibly Geno) might be better than him next season but Hurts would be favorite to be best in 2023 (lowest odds of any NFC QB for MVP) and was clearly the best in 2022 (got most votes for pro bowl).

After Hurts it really depends on how you are measuring it. Performance in 2022 or expected Perfermance in 2023? If the later what do you use to predict?
  • Prescott missed a few games in 2022 but probably has to be viewed beter than Geno on evidence so far
  • Cousins performed as at a similar level to Geno lat year
  • Stafford was viewed as a very good QB being held back by a poor team, he went to the Rams and won the SB in 2021 but struggled last year before injury took him out.
  • Geno is pretty much the opposite to Stafford, 12 months ago virtually noone considered him a starting QB. He play really well last season though with a bit of a drop off at the end of the season, if you reckon you need more than 1 season of data then you have to put Stafford ahead of Geno, if you go on last seasons performance then Geno is higher.
  • Purdy is in a similar possition to Geno, until last season there was no evidence he would be a start but if perfomances last season were at a very high level.
  • Carr, you're right no way you can rank him better than Geno
Overall I think could put Geno anywhere from 4th to 6th.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
All this list tells me is how weak the NFC QB's are.

Outside of Hurts, I can't really differentiate between the rest of the top 5-6, so yeah sure, put Geno in there. I honestly think they're all mediocre to above average.

Only difference is the other QB's on this list have a longer track record of being slightly above average. So maybe that's why they're ranked higher than Geno.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Yeah the QB strength is really leaning toward the AFC atm. I would put the elite QBs as Mahomes, Allan, Burrow, Hurts, Herbert, Jackson and Rodgers with Lawence very likely to be added to the list. Only one of those is NFC.

Mick063

Reaction score
Yeah the QB strength is really leaning toward the AFC atm. I would put the elite QBs as Mahomes, Allan, Burrow, Hurts, Herbert, Jackson and Rodgers with Lawence very likely to be added to the list. Only one of those is NFC.
For me, elite is a special word. Mahomes and Burrow. That's it. No one else. I don't care what they did five years ago or what they might do five years from now. I only see elite play from two quarterbacks for the past two seasons.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
For me, elite is a special word. Mahomes and Burrow. That's it. No one else. I don't care what they did five years ago or what they might do five years from now. I only see elite play from two quarterbacks for the past two seasons.
Elite might have been too strong a word. I see Allan up there with Mahomes and Burrow, I would actually put Allen a little above Burrow but those three are top tier with the rest of the guys I mentioned in the second tier a difinate step down from the top 3. The pont I was making is of the top 8 only 1 is in the NFC.

Jac

Reaction score
Josh Allen isn't elite? His stats are virtually identical to Joe Burrow's over the past two years. And his duel with Mahomes in the AFC Championship game ago was certainly elite. Herbert threw for 5000 yards and 38 touchdowns two years ago, and 4700 yards last year while battling through a painful rib injury.

GemCity

Reaction score
Mahomes…Burrow…those are my “elite” QBs.

As for Geno and the NFC, if we’re talking about leading comeback wins, maybe he falls out of the top 5.

As much as I like Geno, I have always felt like he’s not going to run off some spectacular 2 minute drills and score 2-3x in 5 minutes. I’m exaggerating a bit here…

BUT, he is disciplined, accurate, a leader in the locker room and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone on that list.

It may have only been one season but, dude is phenomenal.

I think he repeats last year’s performance. And with what JS and PC have accomplished these last two drafts and perhaps one more next year, we won’t need a guy like me3 slinging 60 yard rollouts into double coverage to our top tier receivers to pull off miracles.

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
It's about how he's only had 1 solid season. If he puts a similar season up this year he will be top 3.
I consider Lock to be a top 3 backup. If Geno goes down, the team won't miss a beat.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I consider Lock to be a top 3 backup. If Geno goes down, the team won't miss a beat.
I am happy for Lock as back up but I think top 3 might be going a bit far, there are a lot of "possibly good enough to be a starter if a team is desperate". I would put the likes of Dalton (assuming Young starts), Darnold, Brissett, Minshaw, Heinicke, Winston, Marriota and Huntly above what I have seen of Lock (Huntly even made the pro bowl!). If Lock has imploved behind the scenes as much as Geno has then yest he will be a top 3 back up but we haven't seen that yet.