Geno is THE GUY (this year)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's damn good when he's locked in, and pretty bad when he not. It's not unlike many starters in the league.
He was nails in the 4th quarter, that was good too see, and we needed every last bit of it.

6-3, very nice.

andyh64000

Reaction score
He has all the physical tools but often he makes terrible decisions (like at the end of the first half yesterday) or takes too long making a decision while in the pocket. But it is what it is, he is the best option this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Geno has made "bad throws" to Fant when Fant slowed on his route.

Geno has made "bad throws" to JSN when JSN slowed on his route.

Geno has made "bad throws" to DK when DK slowed on his route.

Geno has made "bad throws" to Bobo when Bobo slowed on his route.

Geno has made "bad throws" to Tyler when Tyler slowed on his route.

Some of them, the receivers outright stopped on their routes. Several of them have been intercepted. Several posters simply blame Geno without knowing where the play was supposed to go. Waldron's offense is predicated on the QB and the receivers seeing the same thing and taking advantage of what the defense is doing. When the QB and receivers are not on the same page, which has been evident all season, it is on the offensive coordinator and passing game coordinator to get them on the same page. Nine games in and not there yet is pretty damning for the coaching staff.

I agree with some of this, but then the question is why is there so much miscommunication going on with Geno and his receivers?

These are veteran receivers, with a veteran QB who have now played together for multiple years, and some longer with Geno as a backup.

I'm not putting all of this on Geno, but he's the only common denominator on the field between all of this.

renofox

Reaction score
I agree with some of this, but then the question is why is there so much miscommunication going on with Geno and his receivers?

These are veteran receivers, with a veteran QB who have now played together for multiple years, and some longer with Geno as a backup.

I'm not putting all of this on Geno, but he's the only common denominator on the field between all of this.
Yep. Every single one of Geno's receivers are constantly making mistakes while Geno is playing great.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Just stating facts Sutz! If you read this board Geno is the worst QB in the NFL! He hasn't been great but he has been serviceable this year, and really good in the clutch. I don't see how anyone could demand Drew Lock over him!
Expensive "serviceable" QB

renofox

Reaction score
Seahawks are near dead last in pass protection. This has to be a factor
This is a big part. However, Geno had very good pass protection yesterday, especially in the 1st half. He was constantly getting 3-5 seconds with no pressure and he just couldn't do anything.

I'm sure he must have had nobody open. /s

There's really good Geno (4th qtr) and there's really bad Geno (1st-3rd qtrs). I just want to see more than 1-2 quarters of good Geno, and less than 2-3 quarters of bad Geno every frigging week.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yep. Every single one of Geno's receivers are constantly making mistakes while Geno is playing great.

My novice eyes see a couple things going on.

1. Timing. It seems like when these "miscommunications" happen it's because of Geno's timing on the throws. Balls are late when receivers have given up on the routes. Tyler's TD and the throws to DK on the last drive? On time with no accuracy or miscommunication issues.

2. Route tree priority. A couple times I've seen Geno throws balls into double coverage where it looks the receivers (Fant and DK particularly the past couple of weeks) aren't expecting the ball because their routes are going into double zone coverages (under and over the top defenders).

So IMO blame the receivers all you want, the main problem when this stuff happens is indeed Geno.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
The knock on Drew Lock is he throws interceptions...

However, the reality is Geno throws more interceptions than Lock does.

The same goes with fumbles.

12forlife

Reaction score
Every week there has been a huge influx of posts that Geno sucks and he should be benched. The only issue with this is who do you replace him with? He may not be the QB of the future after this year, but I'm unsure what people are expecting the Hawks to do during the season. He gives them the best chance to win, period.

Who do you want them to put in? Lock? Rypien? Be careful what you wish for. The fact is, Geno gives them the best chance to win right now. The coaching staff sees this every day. If you go look at Lock or Rypien's play in games they have started for other teams, it is not on par to the football Geno is playing right now.

The fact is, in my opinion, he's being overly criticized. Geno has struggles at times, but he's nowhere near as bad as he's being made out to be.

Let's look at THE FACTS:

In 9 games this season, Geno has had four opportunities at game winning drives. He's succeeded 3/4 times, that's 75% (and really he did it twice against the Commanders).

The main narrative on this forum is that Geno is simply not clutch and this just isn't true. He led winning drives against the Commanders and Lions and Browns. He failed to lead a winning drive against the Bengals.

If you're going to criticize, at least let your criticism be based in fact. I saw posters claiming Geno has never had a single winning drive.

Geno threw for 2 TDs, no picks, and 370 yards this week.

People say Geno gets away with mistakes and that's why his stats are OK:

Did you know he's ranked as the #14th of 32 QB sin the league in PFF, a system that takes this into account and grades every play individually. He has a 74.2 rating. Maybe not great, but do you really call this horrible? He's a top half QB.

People are forgetting he's been playing with a makeshift line all year. That's hard. It's obviously effecting him. Don't make Geno out to be a scaepgoat he's not when the team is 6-3. Plenty of stats have him ranked as a top half QB in this league. Maybe not enough to win the Super Bowl, but certainly better than any of the alternatives.

Careful what you wish for.
I have to laugh everyone defending Geno's poor play this season saying well he's top 15! Uhm you like facts literally half of the leagues starters are injured and backups are starting. So what does that say for Geno being Ranked 14th??? That makes him basically the best backup starting? That don't excite me.
I unfortunately agree we are stuck with Geno this year, but soon as the season is over I hope they start figuring out a better option for our Hawks moving forward.

knownone

Reaction score
The knock on Drew Lock is he throws interceptions...

However, the reality is Geno throws more interceptions than Lock does.

The same goes with fumbles.
As a starter, Lock averaged a similar turnover-worthy play rate as Geno, so that's a fair comparison. However, the critical difference is that Lock is one of the least accurate QBs in the league. His career-adjusted completion percentage is 68. For perspective, Geno's is 78. That means that last season, Geno had a better normal completion percentage (with drops, spikes, and throwaways included) than Lock's adjusted percentage.

Drew may have improved. But on paper, they are not the same QBs.

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
I have to laugh everyone defending Geno's poor play this season saying well he's top 15! Uhm you like facts literally half of the leagues starters are injured and backups are starting. So what does that say for Geno being Ranked 14th??? That makes him basically the best backup starting? That don't excite me.
I unfortunately agree we are stuck with Geno this year, but soon as the season is over I hope they start figuring out a better option for our Hawks moving forward.
A lot of people are writing a lot of things about Geno . And he's not writing back!

But kidding aside that's all I'm trying to say. He's the best option right now because lock would be much lower than 14th best

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
As a starter, Lock averaged a similar turnover-worthy play rate as Geno, so that's a fair comparison. However, the critical difference is that Lock is one of the least accurate QBs in the league. His career-adjusted completion percentage is 68. For perspective, Geno's is 78. That means that last season, Geno had a better normal completion percentage (with drops, spikes, and throwaways included) than Lock's adjusted percentage.

Drew may have improved. But on paper, they are not the same QBs.
Drew Lock's worse year was in 2020. It was a COVID year.

That entire season was just plain weird.

The were a lot of players who didn't play that year. Plus, the stadiums were empty.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Expensive my ass.....Like ONE SINGLE PENNY is coming out of your pocket?
Like I said, top ten QB with a Bottom ten O-Line, what the hell else y'all expect?, never mind, I really don't care.
Geno is not a top 10 QB, he's had close to a season of really spotty play at this point if we include his decline at the halfway point of last year.

I'm under no illusions that Lock is any better, Geno is our guy for better or for worse during this season. After the season is another story all together. The Seahawks really need to start looking at other options or at least some competition for Geno.

Geno is starting to look a bit like Ryan Fitzpatrick in the sense that his consistency is all over the place. Fitzpatrick could look like the best QB in the NFL at times, or struggle to get out of his own way.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
Just contemplating all the shit that's gonna fly in this thread. :LOL:

I read last week Pete calling out the veteran receivers, Lockett and Metcalf, for missing practice, resulting in timing issues and a lack of mentorship for the rookie receivers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I read last week Pete calling out the veteran receivers, Lockett and Metcalf, for missing practice, resulting in timing issues and a lack of mentorship for the rookie receivers.

That's really hard to believe in week 9 of the 2nd full year 80% of the receivers, TE's, QB and coordinators have been together.