Fann: Geno’s play forcing Hawks to reevaluate QB

ivotuk

Reaction score
BY JOE FANN -- Seattle Sports columnist

For as bizarre as the first seven weeks of this NFL season have been, no storyline has taken people by surprise as much as the Seahawks’ Geno Smith playing like a top five quarterback in football. In fact, he has been a top two QB in the NFC along with Philadelphia’s Jalen Hurts. That’s not up for debate, either.

Smith ranks third in QBR (66.8) and passer rating (107.7), first in completion percentage (73.5%), third in Pro Football Focus grade (83.6), and is tied for sixth in passing touchdowns (11). He’s also added an additional touchdown on the ground and thrown just three interceptions.

Seattle’s offense as a whole ranks fifth in scoring, 12th in total yards, seventh in net yards per pass attempt (6.8), first in yards per rush attempt (5.5), third in DVOA and seventh in PFF grade.

Smith’s excellence has been the predominant factor in the Seahawks’ 4-3 start that has them currently in first place of the NFC West.

themunn

Reaction score
If we have a top 5 pick and are able to move down 5-10 spots max and pick up a 2024 1st and and 2023 2nd you take that shot I think.

Unless you think the next coming of Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes is available. Then you take him, and sit him for 2 years

Ozzy

Reaction score
I am the first to admit I was wrong so far on Geno but it would take a ton for me to not still grab a franchise guy with a high leverage pick. I hope Geno plays his way into making this a tough decision though.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If we have a top 5 pick and are able to move down 5-10 spots max and pick up a 2024 1st and and 2023 2nd you take that shot I think.

Unless you think the next coming of Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes is available. Then you take him, and sit him for 2 years
I agree themunn. In fact I think Geno has made life much easier for the FO by reducing any urgency to get a QB this year. I do however know there are a lot of fine prospects for the upcoming draft, but my top pick for our next QB will likely be in the '24 draft, so I'm willing to wait for that and build up the rest of our roster in the meantime. Geno's performance level has been a huge gift to this team, and I trust Lock hasn't just been sitting on his thumbs in practice. In fact PC went out of his way to compliment Lock on his practice play since the season began, saying he has been doing some very good stuff.

knownone

Reaction score
I don't think it changes much. Resigning Geno gives them similar flexibility as Alex Smith gave the Chiefs. So the front office can target a QB without fearing for their job if they don't find one immediately. In the best-case scenario, Geno is an elite QB, and they can invest in the team around him.

Mick063

Reaction score
I agree themunn. In fact I think Geno has made life much easier for the FO by reducing any urgency to get a QB this year. I do however know there are a lot of fine prospects for the upcoming draft, but my top pick for our next QB will likely be in the '24 draft, so I'm willing to wait for that and build up the rest of our roster in the meantime. Geno's performance level has been a huge gift to this team, and I trust Lock hasn't just been sitting on his thumbs in practice. In fact PC went out of his way to compliment Lock on his practice play since the season began, saying he has been doing some very good stuff.

The future QB may already be in the locker room. Give Geno his payday and show Lock that the staff rewards the lunch pail guys that keep their nose to the grindstone. Meanwhile, keep the quarterback salary below the 40 million per season range. No matter what. I think there is a threshold where there can just be too much investment in a single entity, and it can seriously set the franchise back if anything goes wrong. I understand this is a QB driven league, but the saying "too many eggs in one basket" has a lot of merit here. If I was a GM, I would cap my QB salary to at least the level of the franchise tag and pay no more than that. So, what if you get the next Josh Allen? Use up half (or more) of his rookie deal then put him on the open market. Imagine the compensation you would get for a player like that.

Own The West

Reaction score
I don't know that our QB plans have changed all that much either. Maybe Geno's looking at a 3 year deal instead of another single, but we'll be looking hard for a QB prospect in next years' draft. We tend to be bargain hunters, so I never thought we'd be trying to trade into the top 5 for a Young or Stroud. Business as usual really. Just less urgency now that Geno's shown he can be a capable starter for the next few years.

acer1240

Reaction score
Fann has been killing it lately. Good stuff. Thanks for posting the link. If the training camp battle was as close as reported (before the covid thing) there are both short and long term options available already on the roster. This is shaping up perfectly.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He’s second in the league in passer rating from a clean pocket. Allen, Geno and Mahomes are top 3. Extend Geno now it’ll be cheaper in the long run. He’s matured as a quarterback and throws precise darts and knows how to climb the pocket.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Seattle has been salary planning as if they would draft their next QB next year and have him on a rookie contract for the next 4 or 5 years..

According to overthecap.com, the Hawks currently have only $30.6M in 2023 cap space. Signing Geno short term will be a challenge.

acer1240

Reaction score
Seattle has been salary planning as if they would draft their next QB next year and have him on a rookie contract for the next 4 or 5 years..

According to overthecap.com, the Hawks currently have only $30.6M in 2023 cap space. Signing Geno short term will be a challenge.
I don't follow the salary cap closely but I thought we had a few moderate salary dumps expected to happen? Wish I could remember the names involved. Wonder what the cost of getting rid of Adams would be. He's not helping anyway.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
By "interesting spot" do they mean more trade value for Geno and drafting a QB in 2023?

How exactly are the Seahawks being forced to reevaluate QB future?

Tell you what, if we win the super bowl with Geno then we should expect a reevaluation but probably not. Is this like PC saying "resigning Matt Hasselbeck is our top priority" type of thing?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
This is Geno’s prove it year so if he leads us to the playoffs I think we need to revisit his worth. He’ll likely get better offers if he walks. I say extend him short term to an incentive laden deal

RockinHawks

Reaction score
If you believe you have a franchise guy that you can draft...you get 'em. Geno may re-sign here, if so, he'd be a great bridge to the new guy. If not, sign guys to battle with the rook. Beefing up the OL and DL should still be the focus, IMO. Maybe we punt on a QB in this draft and look toward next year's crop.

I'm still high on Levis, but I'd love to snag Jaren Hall in round 2 or 3. I think he has a lot of physical tools and a great head for the position.