Hawks ranked 15th/16 in NFC for 2022

keasley45

Reaction score
We've had some great seasons the past decade and more, so some down time is not the end of the world; to me at least. If our QB(Whoever that may be) plays even half ass I think we will be far from the worst team. Playoffs probably out of range, but see no reason can't have a decent enough season.

Good times will be back.
Couldn't agree more. We've been a great franchise and still are . We've been fortunate to have some incredible players pull on seahawks blue, from Russ, to Bobby, Lynch and Chancellor. And we are setup well for this next generation of Hawks to create their own legacy with Diggs and Adams, Brown, Brooks, Taylor, Metcalf, Lockette...Walker? We were on the dead end path of a dying era. Honestly feel as though now we are on the low to mid slopes of a promising ascent.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Our assent to the top was a result of having acquired a TEAM. We basically got Lynch, Russ, and the LOB all at the same time. Out demise was initiated as when Russ began getting too large a share of TEAM money.
I think Pete mishandled the roster, he was too eager to appease Russ at the expense of other teammates. Our team, a very balanced team, implored in front of our eyes. Defense stars left, Lynch left, the team became a lot more one dimensional, truly a QB centric and Russ team. With that, we haven't gone deep into playoff ever since.

Russ has his agenda, but I lay the blame mostly on Pete, he mishandled the situation.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think Pete mishandled the roster, he was too eager to appease Russ at the expense of other teammates. Our team, a very balanced team, implored in front of our eyes. Defense stars left, Lynch left, the team became a lot more one dimensional, truly a QB centric and Russ team. With that, we haven't gone deep into playoff ever since.

Russ has his agenda, but I lay the blame mostly on Pete, he mishandled the situation.

I can't disagree with that. Pete's entire philosophy is built more on intangible elements of will, preserving, overcoming, and the idea that the collective is greater than the individual. When we were best, we lived that mantra. When Pete began to cater to Russ, things fell apart. There were grumblings in the locker room from Sherm and others about how Russ was protected and not held accountable. Grumblings that were dismissed before, but in light of hiw things went down at the end, seem to be pretty accurate. And that frustration, as much if not more than the end of the Superbowl loss, broke this team. In hindsight, I think the issue was less not holding Bevell accountable, and rather, not ever taking Russ to task. You never heard the LOB complaining about the offense's strategy being stale. They were frustrated, but at Russ for not doing better and at Pete for not making him. So if the result is us being 'boring' and running more when we shoukd have been able to move the ballbthrough the air better... well that's always been the case save for those periods when Russ would thrive on play action and make hay with his unparalleled ability to create. But in the regular rhythm of thr game, the rhythm that the offense needs for consistency and the defense needs to succeed, we've never been great under Russ. When the defense bailed us out game after game while the offense stalled until late in games or when Lynch would go Beatsmode, they were passed. Even more so when media elements glammed onto Russ as the Hawks star without understanding well enough that Russ was the beneficiary of a team that provided him a close enough game in the 4th qtr to make a few improv plays and win.

Pete should have played it all differently, if not during the LOB days then certainly before Russ's extension.

Instead, he put faith in Russ to move forward with, but was never able to surround him with enough defense or enough of a running game to recreate what we had. And Russ turned on the notion that he was a product of a pretty sweet situation, and rebelled against the only thing that ever brought him sustained success here.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Our assent to the top was a result of having acquired a TEAM. We basically got Lynch, Russ, and the LOB all at the same time. Out demise was initiated as when Russ began getting too large a share of TEAM money.
This just doesn't line up. The D got the lions share of the cap throughout. Yet the O was always top 10 while the D slipped greatly.
The front office was not able to make the right moves and keeping Ken Norton was a perplexing decision to say the least.
Trying to blame Russ who does not make front office decisions whether it's drafts or free agent moves or trades is passing the blame where it doesn't belong.
You want to blame him for leaving ok. I feel both sides had a hand in it but Russ is not responsible for Pete's reset or its failure.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I can't disagree with that. Pete's entire philosophy is built more on intangible elements of will, preserving, overcoming, and the idea that the collective is greater than the individual. When we were best, we lived that mantra. When Pete began to cater to Russ, things fell apart. There were grumblings in the locker room from Sherm and others about how Russ was protected and not held accountable. Grumblings that were dismissed before, but in light of hiw things went down at the end, seem to be pretty accurate. And that frustration, as much if not more than the end of the Superbowl loss, broke this team. In hindsight, I think the issue was less not holding Bevell accountable, and rather, not ever taking Russ to task. You never heard the LOB complaining about the offense's strategy being stale. They were frustrated, but at Russ for not doing better and at Pete for not making him. So if the result is us being 'boring' and running more when we shoukd have been able to move the ballbthrough the air better... well that's always been the case save for those periods when Russ would thrive on play action and make hay with his unparalleled ability to create. But in the regular rhythm of thr game, the rhythm that the offense needs for consistency and the defense needs to succeed, we've never been great under Russ. When the defense bailed us out game after game while the offense stalled until late in games or when Lynch would go Beatsmode, they were passed. Even more so when media elements glammed onto Russ as the Hawks star without understanding well enough that Russ was the beneficiary of a team that provided him a close enough game in the 4th qtr to make a few improv plays and win.

Pete should have played it all differently, if not during the LOB days then certainly before Russ's extension.

Instead, he put faith in Russ to move forward with, but was never able to surround him with enough defense or enough of a running game to recreate what we had. And Russ turned on the notion that he was a product of a pretty sweet situation, and rebelled against the only thing that ever brought him sustained success here.
I think we are so on the same page, I remember media etc. did question Pete on his treatment of Russ, and Pete's answer was "I don't care". Basically, he had no answer.

John did scout Mahomes, if the team traded Russ at that point, and go grab Mahome .... Pete and John would be genius. I like to speculate that John saw something but was vetoed by Pete.

keasley45

Reaction score
This just doesn't line up. The D got the lions share of the cap throughout. Yet the O was always top 10 while the D slipped greatly.
The front office was not able to make the right moves and keeping Ken Norton was a perplexing decision to say the least.
Trying to blame Russ who does not make front office decisions whether it's drafts or free agent moves or trades is passing the blame where it doesn't belong.
You want to blame him for leaving ok. I feel both sides had a hand in it but Russ is not responsible for Pete's reset or its failure.
The offense was top 10 on the strength of a running game. And then, we decided to skew to the pass over the last 3 or 4 years. A prolific passing game was never our strength.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think we are so on the same page, I remember media etc. did question Pete on his treatment of Russ, and Pete's answer was "I don't care". Basically, he had no answer.

John did scout Mahomes, if the team traded Russ at that point, and go grab Mahome .... Pete and John would be genius. I like to speculate that John saw something but was vetoed by Pete.

I think Pete vetoed John as well. At the post trade presser, of the two, John seemed far more ambivalent and in some of his answers you could sense maybe annoyance, around Russ and the process.

Pete was 10000% the advocate for Russ and champion for trying to keep Russ happy and get him to understand that his path to success lied within the team, not above it.

You could hear that at the close of the season after our last win when he was interviewed and asked point blank when a skeptical interviewer asked him whether Russ would be on board with working within a balanced attack that leaned on the run, guven the turnaround theboffense sjowed to close the season. Pete pushed back on the pessimism and said he though Russ would buy in. From Pete's perspective and any logical person, why wouldn't he. The offense was explosive, dynamic and ran on the same formula that brought us success 10 years ago. But Pete underestimated Russ want to be something else.

If only John could have convinced him 5 years ago...

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I think Pete vetoed John as well. At the post trade presser, of the two, John seemed far more ambivalent and in some of his answers you could sense maybe annoyance, around Russ and the process.

Pete was 10000% the advocate for Russ and champion for trying to keep Russ happy and get him to understand that his path to success lied within the team, not above it.

You could hear that at the close of the season after our last win when he was interviewed and asked point blank when a skeptical interviewer asked him whether Russ would be on board with working within a balanced attack that leaned on the run, guven the turnaround theboffense sjowed to close the season. Pete pushed back on the pessimism and said he though Russ would buy in. From Pete's perspective and any logical person, why wouldn't he. The offense was explosive, dynamic and ran on the same formula that brought us success 10 years ago. But Pete underestimated Russ want to be something else.

If only John could have convinced him 5 years ago...
Based on the draft room video, no doubt Pete sat between Jody and John, one could speculate based on body language that John was driving the bus, with a smiling Jody. Pete was more passive, kind of out of it, to the extend that he asked Charles Cross on the phone "where are you?" only to be reminded by Cross that of course he was in Vegas. I was so taken aback, why would anyone asked a 9th overall pick where're you?

Pete sold his soul to Russ, when Russ left, he took a piece of Pete's heart with him.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
At the end of the day we got Russ’s salary off the books. Hawks will have the most cap space next offseason league wide so if we can get average quarterback play out of Lock or Geno we should be sitting pretty the next few years

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
At the end of the day we got Russ’s salary off the books. Hawks will have the most cap space next offseason league wide so if we can get average quarterback play out of Lock or Geno we should be sitting pretty the next few years
A good percentage of folks on dot net rather fire Pete and John, pay Russ $50 mil a year and let Russ hand pick his own HC , GM, and be the decider on team personnel.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
A good percentage of folks on dot net rather fire Pete and John, pay Russ $50 mil a year and let Russ hand pick his own HC , GM, and be the decider on team personnel.
And continue with the same fruitless results? Never mind the fact that he’s regressed out of the top 15 as a player, the value isn’t there when you have to build a defense for his success. That’s too much maintenance for a black Doug Flutie

Stud

Reaction score
They said the same Bs when Pete was announced as coach and proceeded to strip the roster bare. They said he was a cheat, foolish, outdated. Out of touch, and his team, with a roster full of players no one else saw value in, would be garbage.

We were rated similarly when in Pete's first year, we were supposed to be pushovers.

We were the laughing stock of the league when we were 'gifted ' a playoff birth and disgraced the Saints by making then come to our house during wildcard week... where we beat the sh!+ out of them.

All the talk heading into our suoerbowl against Mannings Broncos was about how no defense could realistically expect to keep up with Peyton the great... we were a cute story, but it was Pete and his defense against Manning. No chance.

The following year, it was Brady we wouldn't be able to beat. And were it not for our last play from scrimmage, we would have, and likely written a much different future over the years that would come.

The shadow of that period is over, the greatness, but also the curse... the fallout.

And so here we are again. Right where we are most comfortable. Let them talk. But shame on you if you beleive it.

LOL. Yup. Everything plays out the same. There's no way that the Seahawks could actually miss the playoffs. Nope. 10 years ago, the Seahawks were good so that means we're good now also.

Gotta love Seahawks fans.

Stud

Reaction score

Well, considering Wilson was the reason Seahawks won 10+ games the last 5 years. Without him, you were an average team.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Well, considering Wilson was the reason Seahawks won 10+ games the last 5 years. Without him, you were an average team.
One could count you as a advocate of firing Pete and John , paying $50mil to Russ and let Russ pick his GM HC and OC.

keasley45

Reaction score
LOL. Yup. Everything plays out the same. There's no way that the Seahawks could actually miss the playoffs. Nope. 10 years ago, the Seahawks were good so that means we're good now also.

Gotta love Seahawks fans.
Nope. You could just evaluate the roster now and see what's being done. Or you could just watch the game film from something other than an armchair qb position and draw a similar conclusion.

Gotta love Russel Wilson fans.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At worst the team is 10th worst behind ATL, CAR, DET, NYG and CHI this is a click bait thread.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

To be fair though, Pete rode it through all the storms, and is trying to rectify his Russ Pampering mistakes...Letting him move on is a good start in the right direction.
I don't figure on overwhelming success with the QB's that we have on board right now, but Pete & John have started reloading the right way, & this last Draft gives off some pretty good vibes in that direction...I think we'll find our QB of the future in the 2023 Draft, and I also believe that Pete is setting things up for the next Seahawks HC to succeed when he finally decides to hang up his whistle.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
To be fair though, Pete rode it through all the storms, and is trying to rectify his Russ Pampering mistakes...Letting him move on is a good start in the right direction.
I don't figure on overwhelming success with the QB's that we have on board right now, but Pete & John have started reloading the right way, & this last Draft gives off some pretty good vibes in that direction...I think we'll find our QB of the future in the 2023 Draft, and I also believe that Pete is setting things up for the next Seahawks HC to succeed when he finally decides to hang up his whistle.
John scouted and pitched for the drafting of Wilson, and he was laughed at by all media experts for his effort. John also scouted on Mahomes, had to pull his fingers back when Russ complained about it. Wait, a player complained about his GM scouting? John also went to see Josh Allen. I feel like John were either very lucky or he has good eyes when it comes to QBs.

For toffee the homer, it's in John Schneider I trust!