Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

Rosco

Reaction score
Open Question to anyone, How’s the offense running now as opposed to the last half of the season last year? Any new wrinkles or about the same?

LTH

Reaction score
Based on the fact that DK,Lockett, Smith etc have been playing in the same system for almost a couple years now. The offense would have already broken wide open if it was going to happen. Geno is what he is
Yeah... I don't see your logic at all. I think Lockett and Metcalf are among the most dynamic and talented receiver's in the league. Geno is one of the most accurate QB in the league, along with the depth the Hawks have at WR and RB this is the most talented offense the Hawks have had in many years. The problem is some in the fan base just doesn't have any patience to let them get in stride.

You don't want the Hawks to be peaking right now. The time to peak is the latter part of the season... the Hawks are right on schedule...all they have to do is stay close to SF and that's exactly what they are doing. SF peaked early Hawks are exactly where they need to be. You watch and see with in the next 4 or 5 games the O is going to have a break out game. when they do, the Hawks are going to go on a winning streak ,leading them into the play offs. Its the way Carroll teams work.

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
Open Question to anyone, How’s the offense running now as opposed to the last half of the season last year? Any new wrinkles or about the same?
This Hawks O is way more talented then last years team its not even close. Way more talented depth on both sides of the ball.

Rosco

Reaction score
Yeah... I don't see your logic at all. I think Lockett and Metcalf are among the most dynamic and talented receiver's in the league. Geno is one of the most accurate QB in the league, along with the depth the Hawks have at WR and RB this is the most talented offense the Hawks have had in many years. The problem is some in the fan base just doesn't have any patience to let them get in stride.

You don't want the Hawks to be peaking right now. The time to peak is the latter part of the season... the Hawks are right on schedule...all they have to do is stay close to SF and that's exactly what they are doing. SF peaked early Hawks are exactly where they need to be. You watch and see with in the next 4 or 5 games the O is going to have a break out game. when they do, the Hawks are going to go on a winning streak ,leading them into the play offs. Its the way Carroll teams work.

LTH
The logic is, they been playing in the same system together for long enough that the offense should be running on all cylinders. They should have started the season in stride or at least be in stride by now. it’s not about patience

LTH

Reaction score
The logic is, they been playing in the same system together for long enough that the offense should be running on all cylinders. They should have started the season in stride or at least be in stride by now. it’s not about patience
Ok... I guess I just completely disagree with you.

toffee

Reaction score
You know what? Brock Purdy single handedly cost 9ers the game tonight: 2 INTs in 4th that were bad decision and bad throws. REMEMBER, all QBs had bad days!!

toffee

Reaction score
This Hawks O is way more talented then last years team its not even close. Way more talented depth on both sides of the ball.
Umm, let's see:

OL, we found better centers, but our starting tackles have been hurt. So no, OL23 isn't better than OL22, not in the games played.
WR, Lockett's a year older, Lockett23 is not better than Lockett22. DK23 and DK22, about the same? JSN wasn't a factor. Before Bobo, our WR corp wasn't better.
TE, ummm same?
RB, somewhat better?

LTH

Reaction score
I'm talking about the roster. Look at the depth behind DK and Lockett. Look at the depth behind walker at running back. Look how the O line depth has carried the Hawks. This team has really nice depth and that is the reason they are 4-2. Metcalf and Lockett are just getting warmed up... this is going to be a highly potent nasty offensive unit with in 5 games.

LTH

themunn

Reaction score
What difference does it make if you get into the red zone and don't score, other than time of possession? It used to be a given that we would score once we were in the red zone.
Quite a lot really - the more times you get into the red zone the mot opportunities you have to score.

And then even if you don't score you leave the opposition with a long drive for then to take points - e.g. When we turned over on the 1 yard line cardinals then need 99 yards for the score - and the way our defense is playing that's going to result in nil points more often than not now, so it washes out until we get our next chance in the red zone.

keasley45

Reaction score

The offense is sputtering. It has more talent overall, but has been hampered by injuries to the O line, a running game that we for whatever reason don't want to use to its fullest potential, a qb who's gotten into the habit of locking onto his favorite targets in a predictable passing game, and wr's who have been dropping easy grabs.

That being said, I think the ceiling for this offense is considerably higher than last years and could be on par with any in the league. Whether we get there or not depends on our scheme becoming a but more diverse, our running game more consistent, our o- line health returning, and Geno continuing to grow in the system.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's where the frustration comes in. This offense has a ridiculous amount of talent. Obviously, the O Line needs to get their horses back.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You must support mediocre aswell? Go cheer for Dak
I'm not talking about football. I'm talking about you insulting a guy who is right there on gameday weekly, posting about the game. He does watch the games. If you disagree on points, then argue those points instead of trying to make yourself seem like a genius - because as I recall, you've had your ass reddened a good few times in the past by your own takes.

I'll cheer for whoever I god damn well please, including the quarterback of our team.

keasley45

Reaction score
I'm not talking about football. I'm talking about you insulting a guy who is right there on gameday weekly, posting about the game. He does watch the games. If you disagree on points, then argue those points instead of trying to make yourself seem like a genius - because as I recall, you've had your ass reddened a good few times in the past by your own takes.

I'll cheer for whoever I god damn well please, including the quarterback of our team.

Don't let them get to you. You can't waste time arguing with someone who is preconditioned to see things one way. If you ask him what qb he'd rather have here, Russ or Geno, he and other Geno bashers would say Russ in a heartbeat. There's no deep reasoning behind the logic. No analysis of the game, team, or play. Just emotion. Which is fine. It's a fan site. Just can't fight it and expect a reasonable result.

Geno is struggling this year for the same reason he struggled last year. Poor run game down the stretch and now to open the season and poor blocking. That doesn't mean he's perfect or even the end all solution at the position. He's not playing his best ball. Thing is, the things he's not doing now that he should, he actually did before. So it's not as though we are in a dead end situation with the dude. He's developed a trend that he needs to walk back. That's a far cry from not being capable of doing a thing you never showed the capacity to do. His errors are in no small part due to the MASH unit he has blocking for him and the running game.

All you have to do is look at B Purdy in SF and see how he'l feels about his game sans T Williams, or J Geoff when his line fails and drops him for 5 sacks.

And how mortal did even Rodgers look his last year in GB and in the previosu years playoffs when the refs couldn't serve as his 6th o lineman and he was pressured by superior D talent? Not near the elite qb who was the other 17 games of the year.

Anyone who takes the time to watch the games in any format other than the TV broadcast can see plainly that the issues are varied from game to game and play to play. But you will never get those who won't except any present or future with Geno to get it.

We have literally the most injured o line in the league and we are 4-2. And that's not in spite of Geno. He hasn't played his best ball, but he's also still making throws like he did to Bobo, Sunday. But that doesn't seem to factor in anymore than the fact thatbgoing I to last week, we were somewhere around 28th overall in rushing. And last week wasn't stellar either. It was also the first time our lead back had 100 yards. But no one is creating threads that HE isn't the guy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You must support mediocre aswell? Go cheer for Dak
Go Cheer for Dak? Come on man. We're all Hawks fans here, with our own opinions, but we do all dig the Hawks.
I don't like the guy much, but go cheer for Dak? He's a Hawks fan, I respect that. We just don't like each other, and that's cool. It's just a message board, it's nothing personal. I had him on ignore, but meh, that's lame. Some back and forth is a good thing, even if people don't agree.
I'm frustrated with Geno, but he's not "mediocre" at all. He's above average, and pretty damn good if he's locked in.
He's been playing bad lately, doesn't mean that he's a mediocre QB. And it certainly doesn't mean he won't turn it around. Fingers crossed he gets locked in like he was much of last season.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Don't let them get to you. You can't waste time arguing with someone who is preconditioned to see things one way. If you ask him what qb he'd rather have here, Russ or Geno, he and other Geno bashers would say Russ in a heartbeat. There's no deep reasoning behind the logic. No analysis of the game, team, or play. Just emotion. Which is fine. It's a fan site. Just can't fight it and expect a reasonable result.

Geno is struggling this year for the same reason he struggled last year. Poor run game down the stretch and now to open the season and poor blocking. That doesn't mean he's perfect or even the end all solution at the position. He's not playing his best ball. Thing is, the things he's not doing now that he should, he actually did before. So it's not as though we are in a dead end situation with the dude. He's developed a trend that he needs to walk back. That's a far cry from not being capable of doing a thing you never showed the capacity to do. His errors are in no small part due to the MASH unit he has blocking for him and the running game.

All you have to do is look at B Purdy in SF and see how he'l feels about his game sans T Williams, or J Geoff when his line fails and drops him for 5 sacks.

And how mortal did even Rodgers look his last year in GB and in the previosu years playoffs when the refs couldn't serve as his 6th o lineman and he was pressured by superior D talent? Not near the elite qb who was the other 17 games of the year.

Anyone who takes the time to watch the games in any format other than the TV broadcast can see plainly that the issues are varied from game to game and play to play. But you will never get those who won't except any present or future with Geno to get it.

We have literally the most injured o line in the league and we are 4-2. And that's not in spite of Geno. He hasn't played his best ball, but he's also still making throws like he did to Bobo, Sunday. But that doesn't seem to factor in anymore than the fact thatbgoing I to last week, we were somewhere around 28th overall in rushing. And last week wasn't stellar either. It was also the first time our lead back had 100 yards. But no one is creating threads that HE isn't the guy.
Your point about the line is fair. But Geno has had issues that date back to the middle of last year so I think its reasonable to give him some blame.

I think the Geno debate is fascinating because he gives both sides enough ammo to make them feel like their right because in a sense they are. Geno is ultra accurate and has been great when not under pressure this year. He also struggles with his decision making at times and this dates back to last year as well where he lead the league in turnover worthy throws and he has continued that this year. He also makes fantastic throws, drives etc every week. I'm rambling but essentially ou can confirm any priors with him good or bad and that's why people on both sides feel so strongly about him.

He's a good quarterback who needs to play better, the line needs to get healthy and Waldron can clean some stuff up in the red zone to help him as well. Maybe it will all come together.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
You know what? Brock Purdy single handedly cost 9ers the game tonight: 2 INTs in 4th that were bad decision and bad throws. REMEMBER, all QBs had bad days!!
However in the Seahawk case, it’s happened 2 games in a row now. Geno has 2 INTs in the red zone (one against Cincy and another against the Cards) that’s at the very least taken 6 points off the board (2 fgs). Considering that ball security is one of the most important things that Pete coaches, it’s been poor the past two games.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score

LTH
This- we are a fickle bunch - if a single play doesn't go for positive yards, the mutiny starts. Sports fandom is not for the emotionally fragile, and as is true with programs that have become used to success (and, therefore, have higher expectations, demands, etc.), anything less than perfection drums up the fear in the best of us.

Why we get our egos so intertwined is why we gravitate toward sports (and competition) - problem is, we oft get our boundaries blurred and when "we" win, we win, but when "they" lose, they suck - now I'm just meandering and pontificating -

Point being that young players are developing and learning, systems are changing, players shuffling, etc. Not an excuse, an explanation. Sometimes just a smidge of poise and rationality would help us as fans weather the ups and downs of sports fandom. Remember, it is entertainment and is meant to be enjoyable - even with the ups and downs. We have been relatively spoiled since my tenure as a Hawks fan (circa 2002), but I hear some of the veteran fans have had it a bit rougher (circa 1976 to Y2K) - we could probably do a bit of justice by heeding their advice.

Anyway, yeah, that.

keasley45

Reaction score
Your point about the line is fair. But Geno has had issues that date back to the middle of last year so I think its reasonable to give him some blame.

I think the Geno debate is fascinating because he gives both sides enough ammo to make them feel like their right because in a sense they are. Geno is ultra accurate and has been great when not under pressure this year. He also struggles with his decision making at times and this dates back to last year as well where he lead the league in turnover worthy throws and he has continued that this year. He also makes fantastic throws, drives etc every week. I'm rambling but essentially ou can confirm any priors with him good or bad and that's why people on both sides feel so strongly about him.

He's a good quarterback who needs to play better, the line needs to get healthy and Waldron can clean some stuff up in the red zone to help him as well. Maybe it will all come together.
Agree 100%. Its the 'Geno will never be x' assertions that come out everytime he has a mediocre outing that i think get people riled up. The assumption on that group's part is apparently that defensive coordinators and opponents can 'learn' Geno and negate his effectiveness to the point he'll never be able to take us anywhere in the playoffs, but that Geno, who's only been playing as a starter now for a season and 6 games, IS A FINISHED PRODUCT and incapable of growing and adjusting himself.

That was the same (il)logic applied to Geno before last season - that he was a finished product and would never be 'x'. That was proven false, but despite doing so, and the considerable number of contributing factors to the offense's stuggles and his less than stellar play now, the default position from that crowd is the same.

Latest posts