Drew Lock is back according to Field Gulls..

CPHawk

Reaction score
Good.

It has been a bit disheartening this preseason to see 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string QBs around the league looking 800x better than anyone on our roster. But I keep reminding myself that this team isn't built to win right now, anyway.
I keep wondering why every QB the ravens roll out, look way better than anyone on our roster. And 2 are a late round draft pick and a UDFA who looked like hot garbage at Oregon. Should have hired their QB coach.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I keep wondering why every QB the ravens roll out, look way better than anyone on our roster. And 2 are a late round draft pick and a UDFA who looked like hot garbage at Oregon. Should have hired their QB coach.
I was hoping that Seahawks would bring in Brian Callahan as HC when PC is gone. He's been incredible every place he's gone, so it can't be a coincidence.

Brian Callahan has worked for Jim Caldwell (quarterbacks), John Fox (offensive assistant), Jon Gruden (quarterbacks), Gary Kubiak (offensive assistant), Josh McDaniels (coaching assistant), and Zac Taylor (offensive coordinator)

Denver Broncos - Worked with Manning during some of his best statistical years and SB win.

Detroit Lions - Worked with Stafford during his best statistical years.

Oakland Raiders - Worked with Carr during his best statistical years.

Cincinnati Bengals - Currently working with Joe Burrow.

Last edited:

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
This whole deflecting, defensive attitude about being 'attacked' over an opinion is beyond silly. When you state opinion in a conversation about fact and reference it as fact, you invite criticism.

If current facts say one thing and those facts are being actively discussed in a conversation, then don't expect to jump into that convo with what you think might happen in the future based on what happened in the past, or your particular feelings about a situation and project that onto what's happening now, without someone asking what makes you hold that position.

And if you do wanna hold it, then that's fine. But then dont go calling out someone else for actually considering facts ... and saying that they're crazy, blind, or whatever equivalent that regularly gets thrown around here because they aren't as willing to just take what's been as gospel.

That invites criticism, questioning and turns a DISCUSSION forum into a 'bickering back and forth' forum. Discussion can be about opinion. But if you choose to completely disregard obvious evidence to maintain your position... you get what you got.

You think cake sucks. I think it's great. That's opinion. There's nothing to discuss there. Trying to interject that level of thought as the BASIS of a DISCUSSION forum is a non-starter.
Did you watch Carrolls PC? Very interesting him saying that there is the possibility that they have two number ones QBs...

Then he brings up the 72 Dolphins there running backs, Qbs, and D... i start to read about Shula and the Dolphins and realize that Carroll is building the Seahawks under that mold. Wow thats really cool. Even defensively the Dolphins were the first team to be successful running the 3-4 (google) that team ran for over 3000 yards between the inside out attack of czonka and Morris.....

Carroll also talked about Bart Star and the packers... Bart star had 294 passes with out an INT. It is his effciency that Carroll is teaching his qbs
then i remember the combination of Montana and Young in SF together with Bill Walsh influence on Carroll when Carroll was DC for Seifert for becoming ground breaking and unique in the way he looked at football philosophy and how that is playing out now...

i look at the current Seahawk roster and its starting to make a lot of since to me because of the history of what Carroll has been talking about over the last couple of years... its even more clear to me of why wilson is NOT here any more extremely clear in every way ... Carroll has a crap load of respect for bart Star and his philosophy around the QB position and it just all fits like a glove now i know im being very general but i know that your going to know EXACTLY what im talking about... maybe you could explain it better but i just think that as usual Carroll is approaching this team with some older principles but at the same time he is adding new philosophy in which i think we are going to see in many different avenues but especially at the QB position... and people are NOT going to understand it because its different... but this team has a chance to be very special not sure if its going to exactly happen this year it might but next year watch out especially if they get the qb position going...

keasley45

Reaction score
Did you watch Carrolls PC? Very interesting him saying that there is the possibility that they have two number ones QBs...

Then he brings up the 72 Dolphins there running backs, Qbs, and D... i start to read about Shula and the Dolphins and realize that Carroll is building the Seahawks under that mold. Wow thats really cool. Even defensively the Dolphins were the first team to be successful running the 3-4 (google) that team ran for over 3000 yards between the inside out attack of czonka and Morris.....

Carroll also talked about Bart Star and the packers... Bart star had 294 passes with out an INT. It is his effciency that Carroll is teaching his qbs
then i remember the combination of Montana and Young in SF together with Bill Walsh influence on Carroll when Carroll was DC for Seifert for becoming ground breaking and unique in the way he looked at football philosophy and how that is playing out now...

i look at the current Seahawk roster and its starting to make a lot of since to me because of the history of what Carroll has been talking about over the last couple of years... its even more clear to me of why wilson is NOT here any more extremely clear in every way ... Carroll has a crap load of respect for bart Star and his philosophy around the QB position and it just all fits like a glove now i know im being very general but i know that your going to know EXACTLY what im talking about... maybe you could explain it better but i just think that as usual Carroll is approaching this team with some older principles but at the same time he is adding new philosophy in which i think we are going to see in many different avenues but especially at the QB position... and people are NOT going to understand it because its different... but this team has a chance to be very special not sure if its going to exactly happen this year it might but next year watch out especially if they get the qb position going...

So I don't know that Pete is necessarily tipping his hand that he's looking to start both qbs this year. I think he's probably secure in starting either qb and is just going to feel out which one provides the x factor. Whether that X is reliable, steady play, or elusiveness and rare talent. Drew is more mobile, which is a differentiator, but it's nit as though bringing him in off the bench during the game would present some drastic change in terms of what we could threaten a defense with. He's just more talented.

What I gleaned from his presser was just a reinforcing of his core philosophy, which is taking care of the ball, playing complimentary ball, and not unnecessarily overcomplicating the game.

One of the big takeaways was that I think he made it a point to underscore and deserves mention is that contrary to what some on the forum think, his philosophy is NOT to only pass when necessary and have a run first game. He stated pretty clearly that you can control the game with the pass or the run, and that if the QB is effective and efficient, he's fine throwing the ball and having a strong passing game. He's just not going to expect a qb with limited ability to be the lead cog in his offense. He'll elevate other aspects of the offense and team to compliment what his qb can do. But if the qb can sling it, take care of the ball, and manage the game... he can have at it.

This tracks with the frustration he finally began to show over the last few years at being poor on 3rd downs and ineffective, reliably moving the ball through the air. We'd become boom or bust, and a boom or bust passing game isn't part of a ball control formula. If that's what your passing game is (because its proven ineffective at taking the plays that are there), then the only change of pace you can go to, is a running game.

Also notable was that he's saying that the passing game needs to avoid sacks and turnovers. So, secure with the ball, and distributing it quickly.

So I don't know that there was a ton new there. But I also know that Pete prides himself in being an innovator and zigging when others zag. It's a core tenet in innovative leadership and can pay huge dividends. So I wouldn't be surprised that in his coaching curtain call, he didn't test something new, that, similar to the other things he's brought to the game, ends up influences the way football is practiced and played in the future.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
PC didn't name Geno as the starter and is waiting for Lock to play in the last preseason game....Why is that?

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
So I don't know that Pete is necessarily tipping his hand that he's looking to start both qbs this year. I think he's probably secure in starting either qb and is just going to feel out which one provides the x factor. Whether that X is reliable, steady play, or elusiveness and rare talent. Drew is more mobile, which is a differentiator, but it's nit as though bringing him in off the bench during the game would present some drastic change in terms of what we could threaten a defense with. He's just more talented.

What I gleaned from his presser was just a reinforcing of his core philosophy, which is taking care of the ball, playing complimentary ball, and not unnecessarily overcomplicating the game.

One of the big takeaways was that I think he made it a point to underscore and deserves mention is that contrary to what some on the forum think, his philosophy is NOT to only pass when necessary and have a run first game. He stated pretty clearly that you can control the game with the pass or the run, and that if the QB is effective and efficient, he's fine throwing the ball and having a strong passing game. He's just not going to expect a qb with limited ability to be the lead cog in his offense. He'll elevate other aspects of the offense and team to compliment what his qb can do. But if the qb can sling it, take care of the ball, and manage the game... he can have at it.

This tracks with the frustration he finally began to show over the last few years at being poor on 3rd downs and ineffective, reliably moving the ball through the air. We'd become boom or bust, and a boom or bust passing game isn't part of a ball control formula. If that's what your passing game is (because its proven ineffective at taking the plays that are there), then the only change of pace you can go to, is a running game.

Also notable was that he's saying that the passing game needs to avoid sacks and turnovers. So, secure with the ball, and distributing it quickly.

So I don't know that there was a ton new there. But I also know that Pete prides himself in being an innovator and zigging when others zag. It's a core tenet in innovative leadership and can pay huge dividends. So I wouldn't be surprised that in his coaching curtain call, he didn't test something new, that, similar to the other things he's brought to the game, ends up influences the way football is practiced and played in the future.

I tend to agree. Although Pete relies on many concepts that seem fundamentaly simple, it would be just like him to use a creative tactic. I'm remembering those "trick" plays of the past that caught teams off guard.

Having two quarterbacks interchangeably would force defenses to prepare for both not knowing who was playing. The predominant QB for that game would be the one most suited to win against a particular team.

Rosco

Reaction score
PC didn't name Geno as the starter and is waiting for Lock to play in the last preseason game....Why is that?
Likely cause between the mock game, practice and preseason Lock has outplayed Geno. If not for Covid Lock likely outplays Geno again taking the starting job.
Stats don’t tell the whole story.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score

Everybody thinks its the talent of the QB that is going to make this team go.. i think what Pete is saying is it is NOT necisarily the talent of the QB, ITS THE EFFICIENCY OF THE OFFENSE AS A WHOLE...

Scout

Reaction score
The key is to see if Lock understands the offense and situational awareness. Understanding down and distances and making good decisions during 3rd downs and 2 minute/goal line situations. If Lock can show that he has a good shot of winning the job IMO. PC can always go to Geno if he wants a QB that understands the offense and has shown to perform in situational football.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pete just said that Geno is starting on Friday. He has clearly made up his mind. I suspect he did weeks ago.

So much for "always comPETE"
Oh well, this is who we have. Let's see how it plays out.

Reactions: PNW
OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score

I’d say there are 3 NFL coaches who most heavily influenced Pete: Bud Grant, Monte Kiffin, and Bill Walsh.

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score

It’s all about the ball. I’m not sure how many times he has to say it before people actually hear it.

If Geno wins the competition it will likely be because he’s more consistent and takes care of the football.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, and a good point. Talent hasn't been the issue for Lock. It's him making a turnover in the 4th quarter. Which goes against the "it's all about the ball" thing that Pete preaches.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I’d say there are 3 NFL coaches who most heavily influenced Pete: Bud Grant, Monte Kiffin, and Bill Walsh.
I would say that There is a lot that influences Pete, and He doesn't get asked about it as much as he should. There should have been several follow up questions about Carrolls comments on Bart Star and the 72 Dolphins. It's Clear to me that he is influenced by Bart star, Bart star is the QB that has the attributes that Carroll wants to lead THIS particular team especially after I did some research on Bart. It just feels to me that this has been thought out by Carroll because it all fits like a glove.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Calling those guys two 1's is pretty funny. Then again, what is he really supposed to say?
I think that's a very interesting comment! and again, I'm surprised that NOBODY followed up on what he meant by that. Is he going to switch off in the middle of a game? Is he going to maybe use both QB's situationally showcasing their strengths situationally? Or does Carroll just think that both QB's have the talent to be #1 QB's and that at some point both will play?

Latest posts