Does Macdonald keep Geno?

GemCity

Reaction score
The latest mock drafts I’ve seen leave no QB I’m interested in by the time we pick.

Maybe JS sees something in a guy…maybe they make a move.

But, sticking with a top 15 QB with a fair contract isn’t the worst we could do… this year.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I'm fine keeping Geno if it means we fix the trenches. That said, Penix will be the best QB from this draft.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Age is no limitation to technical improvement. I'll give you, and Geno, that. So he might be able to get batter in that respect. But no amount of coaching and practice can teach a giraffe to run like a cheetah. His physical skills have reached a peak that is highly unlikely he can surpass. Another cog is his price tag.
With respect to Lock he throws on par with Geno but is a better runner and seems to adjust better to compressed field view in the redzone. He commands a much lower price at this point. To me that adds up to keeping Lock and cutting Geno loose while we cultivate our QBOF.
I agree with you on the age part. Geno may very well never be better from a physical/athletic standpoint. But how fast and far he drops off every year from now is the thing we just don't know and the problem with Drew is... he simply isn't at Geno's level on any of this criteria now.

As Maelstrom pointed out, Geno is rated extremely highly for deep ball accuracy and big time throws during his time here. Drew's not.
And Drew has never actually proven to be a better runner, it just seems to be something people believe about him (I assume due to age?) when Geno's been able to generate yards much more efficiently with his legs.
And he has been worse than Geno in the redzone consistently. If we compare career for career, if we limit it just to the timeframe Geno's been on the Seahawks, or if we just look at last year... Drew is a significantly worse performer in the redzone however you break it down.

There isn't a single solitary area of QB performance that any version of Drew Lock has done that the Seattle Seahawks version of Geno Smith doesn't do better (and usually significantly better). Can this change? Yeah, sure. Anything can happen (and legitimately, Drew is/was still a Seahawk so I would be happy if Drew shocked the world.)

But Drew has only 2 things going for him in these discussions. His age (legitimate) and his price tag and if those are the two most important factors for you in who to keep that's perfectly reasonable. However, I think we also need to factor in that his price tag is only so much lower because his performance has been so much worse.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Honestly though, does it really matter that much since this is a rebuilding/transition year anyway? Does anyone seriously think this is a sb caliber team? I think it's time for a reality check, which is why I'm not averse to playing a rookie. Who wouldn't want to watch Penix, Nix or JJ sling it as opposed to Geno or Lock? Just about no one if they're being honest, that's who.

chris98251

Reaction score
Honestly though, does it really matter that much since this is a rebuilding/transition year anyway? Does anyone seriously think this is a sb caliber team? I think it's time for a reality check, which is why I'm not averse to playing a rookie. Who wouldn't want to watch Penix or JJ sling it as opposed to Geno or Lock? Just about no one if they're being honest, that's who.
When he's ready, I believe in the learn how to be a Pro, learn about the NFL level of physicality and speed and complexity before thrown to the wolves. More QB's seem to get broken then succeed when thrown in the fire without a good team already built around them.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
As I pointed out earlier...

Geno sucked for 9 years before having a mediocre season while Lock sucked for 5 years thus far.

Lock has a whole 4 more years of sucking left before he gets judged by .NET armchair QBs.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
As I pointed out earlier...

Geno sucked for 9 years before having a mediocre season while Lock sucked for 5 years thus far.

Lock has a whole 4 more years of sucking left before he gets judged by .NET armchair QBs.
You should say it again. It might connect the next time, being that it's such an astute observation and all.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Honestly though, does it really matter that much since this is a rebuilding/transition year anyway? Does anyone seriously think this is a sb caliber team? I think it's time for a reality check, which is why I'm not averse to playing a rookie. Who wouldn't want to watch Penix, Nix or JJ sling it as opposed to Geno or Lock? Just about no one if they're being honest, that's who.
No, doesn't really matter but the quicker you blow it all up the faster you can rebuild the team and whatever the HC envisions it to be in the end.

bigcc

Reaction score
Age is no limitation to technical improvement. I'll give you, and Geno, that. So he might be able to get batter in that respect. But no amount of coaching and practice can teach a giraffe to run like a cheetah. His physical skills have reached a peak that is highly unlikely he can surpass. Another cog is his price tag.
With respect to Lock he throws on par with Geno but is a better runner and seems to adjust better to compressed field view in the redzone. He commands a much lower price at this point. To me that adds up to keeping Lock and cutting Geno loose while we cultivate our QBOF.
I'd be stunned, and frankly quite terrified if the rookie couldn't beat out lock in training camp. And Geno isn't going to improve. He's only really played under 2 offenses, and I sure as hell don't want the OC tailoring the offense so he can make it work.

Let the OC start fresh, we saw what happens when we let the qb make executive choices.

bigcc

Reaction score
The latest mock drafts I’ve seen leave no QB I’m interested in by the time we pick.

Maybe JS sees something in a guy…maybe they make a move.

But, sticking with a top 15 QB with a fair contract isn’t the worst we could do… this year.
Despite championing moving on from him, I'd definitely prefer that over a year of lock 🤮

After all, then we get to have this exact conversation next year before geno gets his 10 million dollar roster bonus 😂

I literally have doubts that lock can be a top 32 qb (counting backups), I really don't get the fascination

bigcc

Reaction score
We'll find out in 9 days whether or not Geno will be here this season.
They need to hurry up and get the OC so he can have input on the qb decision.

I hate the idea of a decision like this being made without anyone on the offensive coaching staff getting a say

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
They need to hurry up and get the OC so he can have input on the qb decision.

I hate the idea of a decision like this being made without anyone on the offensive coaching staff getting a say
The decision could actually be made any day between now and the 15th.
The 16th will be the day the contract goes in effect.

Scout

Reaction score
I'm fine keeping Geno if it means we fix the trenches. That said, Penix will be the best QB from this draft.
I think that is the plan

Fix trenches first and if then draft a QB in 2025. Penix will be a great QB if he goes to a team with a great offensive line but not many teams have that.

GemCity

Reaction score
I think that is the plan

Fix trenches first and if then draft a QB in 2025. Penix will be a great QB if he goes to a team with a great offensive line but not many teams have that.
Definitely need to get the trenches straightened out.

We could do a helluva lot worse than a mid-tier QB like now.

Fix the bigs….get the QBotF when the time is right.

Maybe we find a gem in the later rounds?

Hawknight

Reaction score
Has anyone taken a look at this year's draft to analyze which teams might need QBs and the QBs available up to the point when we pick?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Has anyone taken a look at this year's draft to analyze which teams might need QBs and the QBs available up to the point when we pick?
In the top 5, you'll most likely see Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, and Jayden Daniels all off the board.

From there, you have Bo Nix, Michael Penix Jr., and JJ McCarthy as the next options, all of whom are fringe first rounders on consensus big boards right now.

Between the top 5 to 16 overall, we have the Falcons, Jets, Broncos, Raiders, and Saints as teams who have either a need or an impending need at the position.

Rams, Steelers, and Buccaneers pick after us and would be possible threats to trade up should they have one of those guys they really like and feel like they need to snipe us.

This is why I don't buy the argument that we should force quarterback because of the depth of the class. Yeah, it's a deep class, but that's because there are 3 top 5 prospects. After that, the deep class is a few fringe first round level prospects who have a lot of question marks when we're talking about investing a decent first round pick in them, and then some day 3 guys.