Why Do We Care How The Seahawks Win?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yes I do care. The reason being, if you leave the door open for too long it will eventually bite you against good teams. When Pete gets a lead he immediately backs off. We go into a prevent defense, and run heavy offense that's sole purpose is to not mess up. Hell, Pete Carroll also has been known to do that in the first, second and third quarters. We've seen less of that in the beginning of games this year, but it still is an issue. This is why we didn't make the playoffs in 2018, this style right here. Our team was flawed, yes but it also lost us some close games that maybe we should have won. In fact during that period we broke the record for most starting drives without a TD, believe it was a record two years in the making.

Playing this way makes it a lot easier for some flukey element to decide a game and it has in the past. Against good football teams this style is punished harder. It is one of the reasons why we have not had success in the playoffs since 2014. We are under .500 in the playoffs after that SuperBowl.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Joshoeuh":3vl31dma said:
I think it’s just a perception thing. To some, if you win ugly it doesn’t show that you’re a good team. You have to win in a blowout to validate your standing.

I’ll take a close win over a loss any day. I don’t care how they get there as long as they get there.

I'm kind of in this camp. It reflects on the strength of the team and it's prospects for the rest of the season. The more convincingly they win the better I feel about the up coming games. In the end of the season I care not one wit how they won any game. Looking back at 2013 there were several last minute wins and saves against teams we should have crushed, but in the end we went to the Super Bowl and won. But during the season it's all about how we stack up against the teams left on our schedule. Anyone feel confident we beat the 9ers?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I will enjoy the ride and save any real complaints at the end of the season. This thing is only half over and the Hawks ALWAYS start slow from a season perspective. As far as I am concerned, they are winning the division until they don't and advancing in the playoffs until they don't. They are 6-2 where in previous years they have held under 500 or 500 records near the halfway point. As long as RW is under center, this team is dangeruss.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1q9autw7 said:
Because great teams don't play down to their opponents, they kick their ass. Look no further then the Pats, or how the Niners are rolling their bad opponents this year.

That's how you create the kind of culture, killer instinct and total team discipline that wins championships.

Championship caliber teams and organizations win close games through discipline and execution, and win games against bad opponents by double digits allowing their starters to relax and even sit in 4th quarters that create a benefit of rest by the end of the season that other teams constantly scrapping and clawing to eek out close games don't get the advantage of.

Only funny thing is that our 2013 season flew quite in the face of this trend. So I do believe in the "get hot at the right time" mentality, to a point.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":edcmth44 said:
bmorepunk":edcmth44 said:
Sgt. Largent":edcmth44 said:
Because great teams don't play down to their opponents, they kick their ass. Look no further then the Pats, or how the Niners are rolling their bad opponents this year.

Yes, so far at the halfway mark. We'll see if both these teams can keep it up, but odds are they're gonna have their dog games just like everybody else.

The Patriots won the Super Bowl last year. They "played down" in their Jacksonville game (against what would become a 5-11 team). They "played down" in their Detroit game (finished 6-10) and lost. They "played down" in one of their Miami games (finished 7-9) and lost. They "played down" in Tennesse game (only mustered 10 points) and lost. They "played down" in that Steelers game and lost. They "played down" against the Bears and were down 10 points in the second quarter. They were up 15 points at the half and allowed the Texans to pull within 7 within two minutes. They couldn't even get up at the half against the lowly Jets in one of their games.

That Patriots defense is on some kind of insane tear this year so far. But that Super Bowl winning Patriots team last year "played down" plenty to crappier teams. The Patriots are not some juggernaut that just annihilates every weak team they play when they step on the field. Even with their great success, they still struggle against teams with poor records, and sometimes it costs them games. Because it's the NFL, teams aren't that far away in talent, and even beating the Dolphins this year isn't a gimme.

For sure, I'm not saying the Pats haven't really been tested or NEVER play down to their opponents. But over the past 15 years they usually beat bad opponents handily, and squeak out FAR too many close games by out-executing good teams.

Us? We like to shoot ourselves in the foot, make a bunch of dumb mistakes which keeps games close.....along with a HC that plays far too conservatively with a lead.

That's all I'm saying.

I got you. It's hard to tell how often the Seahawks do it versus other teams. But obviously I'd like to see a lot less than we are.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3cmqc852 said:
Sgt. Largent":3cmqc852 said:

That's how you create the kind of culture, killer instinct and total team discipline that wins championships.

Championship caliber teams and organizations win close games through discipline and execution, and win games against bad opponents by double digits allowing their starters to relax and even sit in 4th quarters that create a benefit of rest by the end of the season that other teams constantly scrapping and clawing to eek out close games don't get the advantage of.

Only funny thing is that our 2013 season flew quite in the face of this trend. So I do believe in the "get hot at the right time" mentality, to a point.

Eight wins by 10 points or more, SIX wins by 20 points or more.

Rat

Reaction score
At the end of the season, it doesn't matter, but when projecting future performance, I feel a lot more optimistic when we're not pumping out just one possession wins against the combined 1-15 Bengals and Falcons.

SeaMeat

Reaction score
I feel better, and am more confident, about a post season run if the Hawks won with dominance throughout the regular season.

Beating a terrible team by one point does not instill that confidence. And being mediocre, at best, throughout the regular season is a bummer too.

How confident is a Patriots fan right now?

THAT is how I want to feel.

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ck3695jk said:

WINNER!!!!

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Past performance is the best indicator of future performance, and we've seen how well we play during the regular season when we can contend for a Super Bowl (2005, 2012-2014). All those teams finished in the top 4 for DVOA by year's end with a variety of impressive wins. Despite having one of the league's best offenses, the current team has been hovering between 6-10 (about where the 2007, 2015, 2017 teams were). I care because we're playing like a playoff team but not yet a champion. I want excitement and hope for a title - not the illusion of it just because we're 6-2.

knownone

Reaction score
SeaMeat":bo7i1un0 said:
I feel better, and am more confident, about a post season run if the Hawks won with dominance throughout the regular season.

Beating a terrible team by one point does not instill that confidence. And being mediocre, at best, throughout the regular season is a bummer too.

The Patriots have played 6 games against teams with a combined record of 7-37... You want the Patriots fan experience? Re-watch our game against the Cardinals, now imagine the Cardinals are even worse, then pretend we've already played them 4 times this year. Look at all those double digit wins.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
For me, the Baltimore and New Orleans losses at home are more frustrating. They barely escaped at home against Cincy and the Rams. There was a time when the Seahawks never lost at home. It's great that they are winning on the road but really they have played non playoff teams for the most part on the road. So they should win those games. The close game are way too tough to handle. Like someone said above, it would be nice to relax and watch the Seahawks drubbing an opponent for once. Well they did that for 30 minutes last Sunday.

Elemas

Reaction score
A win is a win. But, if you're a glass is half empty kind of person (guilty), you tend to think too far in advance and say/post/think about things like "This won't work against SF".

It's hard to navigate away from that line of thinking. Especially in a forum where the consequences are nil. The subsequent discussions often get nasty (guilty again).

Regardless of what we think W-L projection wise, 6-2 is 6-2 and at this point in the season, all Hawks fans should be proud of this young, essentially rebuilding team.

SeaMeat

Reaction score
knownone":3r5bsqxd said:
SeaMeat":3r5bsqxd said:

The Patriots have played 6 games against teams with a combined record of 7-37... You want the Patriots fan experience? Re-watch our game against the Cardinals, now imagine the Cardinals are even worse, then pretend we've already played them 4 times this year. Look at all those double digit wins.

So what???!!!

Total Win/loss of opponents means nothing, if a team plays DOWN to those opponents week after week.

It's real easy to lose a game that you should have won when you do dumbass crap like that.

This Seahawks team can play a high school team and can come close to losing. Are the Seahawks better then that? Of course, absolutely!

Playing not to lose is friggin dumb!

D

DomeHawk

In a nutshell:

Because when you play it so close there is just as good a chance you are going to lose. The ball has to bounce your way to win and that leaves too much to chance.

Get it?

JGreen79

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bwtam8c said:
MontanaHawk05":3bwtam8c said:
Eight wins by 10 points or more, SIX wins by 20 points or more.

Also needing overtime to beat a Matt Schaub led team that eventually went 2-14 in week 4.
Or needing overtime at home over a that finished 4-12 in week 9.
Or playing down to the Rams in week 8. A game that was more of an ugly win than any game this season.

First Downs: Sea - 7, STL - 23

Rushing: Sea - 15 rush, 44 yds, STL - 37 rush, 200 yds

Passing: 10/18, 139yds, 2td, 0 int STL - 15/31, 158yds, 0td, 2int

Total Yards: Sea - 135, STL - 339

ToP : Sea - 21:51, STL - 38:09

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":4g4kuy7l said:
Yes I do care. The reason being, if you leave the door open for too long it will eventually bite you against good teams. When Pete gets a lead he immediately backs off. We go into a prevent defense, and run heavy offense that's sole purpose is to not mess up. Hell, Pete Carroll also has been known to do that in the first, second and third quarters. We've seen less of that in the beginning of games this year, but it still is an issue. This is why we didn't make the playoffs in 2018, this style right here. Our team was flawed, yes but it also lost us some close games that maybe we should have won. In fact during that period we broke the record for most starting drives without a TD, believe it was a record two years in the making.

Playing this way makes it a lot easier for some flukey element to decide a game and it has in the past. Against good football teams this style is punished harder. It is one of the reasons why we have not had success in the playoffs since 2014. We are under .500 in the playoffs after that SuperBowl.

This. I am tired of the playing not to lose instead of playing to win. That doesn't work against good teams. The 'Hawks have beaten (barely) one decent team this year. They lost to the other two good teams they have played. The other "W"s have been eked out against sub-par teams. I believe they are an average team this year. They will win the games they should win and lose the games they play against good teams. It would be interesting to see them get a lead and keep their foot on the gas for 4 quarters.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Joshoeuh":2218uulu said:
I think it’s just a perception thing. To some, if you win ugly it doesn’t show that you’re a good team. You have to win in a blowout to validate your standing.

I’ll take a close win over a loss any day. I don’t care how they get there as long as they get there.

I think it's likely that some here remember back in the Dome Days, of the Seahawks getting their collective butts handed to them on a regular basis, and want THESE Seahawks to impose their will, and pound the opponents into submission, and I don't think that it's in Pete's makeup to be the kind of a$$#ole to Coach that way, hey, he has a pretty damn decent W / L record, even utilizing a bunch of greenhorns.
ALSO, Dan Quinn KNOW's Pete Carroll's tendencies to getting a comfortable lead, and then go into maintenance Mode.
Me?, I'm perplexed as to why he (Pete) kind of lets teams get back into some games, but when the game is over, I can take a deep breath, and am happy to put another check mark in the WIN column.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Because look at the Patriots. Easily dispatching clearly inferior opponents time after time is, for me, one of the clearest indicators of sustained excellence. Nearly allowing a pathetic team with a backup qb the chance to come back from what should have been an insurmountable lead is also a clear indicator, only in the wrong direction.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seems very obvious to me...because understanding how and why we win and lose helps give one an estimation of future potential.

Or at least, it gives some of us that insight.

Optimus25":1sz8do47 said:
Because look at the Patriots. Easily dispatching clearly inferior opponents time after time is, for me, one of the clearest indicators of sustained excellence. Nearly allowing a pathetic team with a backup qb the chance to come back from what should have been an insurmountable lead is also a clear indicator, only in the wrong direction.
Football Outsiders has also said that is one of the biggest indicators of being elite; that you beat up inferior opponents.