Why do the Rams own the Seahawks?

cymatica

Reaction score
Can anyone with high football IQ explain why the Rams under McVay own Seattle? It's obviously a scheme and matchup issue that McVay is able to take advantage of. I'm just wondering why, even in a bad year, he somehow out schemes Pete every game. Can someone explain, on a technical level, what he is exploiting? This goes beyond a team just playing their rival tough, something else is in play.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I think scheme played a part in this game in that Pete just can’t figure out how to stop that McVey offense. I also think they could have won this game if the tackles hadn’t been out. At the very worst it probably would’ve been a shootout.

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
I think scheme played a part in this game in that Pete just can’t figure out how to stop that McVey offense. I also think they could have won this game if the tackles hadn’t been out. At the very worst it probably would’ve been a shootout.
No, it's never a shootout with the Rams. We had a few chunk plays, but they were getting pressure while dinking and dunking with ease. It's 100% the scheme

Scout

Reaction score
Can anyone with high football IQ explain why the Rams under McVay own Seattle? It's obviously a scheme and matchup issue that McVay is able to take advantage of. I'm just wondering why, even in a bad year, he somehow out schemes Pete every game. Can someone explain, on a technical level, what he is exploiting? This goes beyond a team just playing their rival tough, something else is in play.
The Hawks are unable to adapt to the motion and misdirection that the Rams use on offense. The Patriots showed the league how to counter that years ago but a lot of teams lack the discipline on defense to pull it off.

Keep in mind that the Rams did this without Kupp.

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
The Hawks are unable to adapt to the motion and misdirection that the Rams use on offense. The Patriots showed the league how to counter that years ago but a lot of teams lack the discipline on defense to pull it off.

Keep in mind that the Rams did this without Kupp.
In other words, they take advantage of Pete's teams lacking discipline

Scout

Reaction score
In other words, they take advantage of Pete's teams lacking discipline
That and miscommunication in the secondary.

And they have to play smarter football. You can't allow the Rams smaller WRs to have a clean release at the line. And if you play zone you can't allow the Rams WRs to catch the ball after the sticks because of a super soft zone. Tutu is too good at beating zone and frankly the Hawks have enough DBs with speed to recover so they should be playing more press at the line since they have size and speed.

knownone

Reaction score
Well, Seattle primarily plays zone coverages and does very little to disguise those coverages. Mcvay knows how to draw up plays to exploit the holes in the zone, knowing that the play will be successful if Seattle can't get pressure. After a few big completions, our LBs start cheating toward the pass, running lanes open, and our defense is so discombobulated that the Rams can do whatever they want.

LTH

Reaction score
It's just a division thing... why is it that we owned the niners for years??? Why is it that the niners can't beat the Rams?

James in PA

Reaction score
If someone can figure it out, would you please let Pete Carroll know right away? Thanks.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
We're also not good this year...

I keep saying it, but 5-12, optimistically.

Be LUCKY to have one divisional win this year, unless the Cards sweep, which is quite possible.

Scout

Reaction score
Honestly if the Hawks are going to just rush four and sit so many in zone might as well go back to 4-3 but the Hawks missed their chance to draft an 3 tech UT. D. Jones can do it but the issue is deeper than a defensive alignment because even in a 4-3 you still need to stunt or even send some A gap blitzes to disrupt an offense. Stafford doesn't respond well to pressure in his face and he had a clea pocket all day.

Stafford has the arm to beat a zone all day everyday and he did it with WRs that are not considered elite. With Kupp it would be pitch and catch honestly.

mistaowen

Reaction score
McVay has throughout his entire career eaten Pete's lunch on D. Doesn't matter the roster, he is a terrific scheme manager and attacks weaknesses over and over again. Middle of the field was a graveyard today and he didn't stop attacking it. It's really frustrating that Pete hasn't been able to bring someone in at DC to work on these problems.

Similarly, Shanahan seems to have McVay's number for the 49ers.

Scout

Reaction score
McVay has throughout his entire career eaten Pete's lunch on D. Doesn't matter the roster, he is a terrific scheme manager and attacks weaknesses over and over again. Middle of the field was a graveyard today and he didn't stop attacking it. It's really frustrating that Pete hasn't been able to bring someone in at DC to work on these problems.

Similarly, Shanahan seems to have McVay's number for the 49ers.

The 49ers are aggressive on defense. It is as simple as that because the Hawks sitting back so much given the talent they have is CRIMINAL.

mistaowen

Reaction score
The 49ers are aggressive on defense. It is as simple as that because the Hawks sitting back so much given the talent they have is CRIMINAL.
The sad part is, the bend but don't break style Pete won't give up still was bottom 3(?) in big plays given up last year. So not only are they playing passively to allow dink and dunk style play, I guess hoping for the other team to screw up, they also give up back breaking 20 yard plays more than most other teams. I look around at other good defenses and they'll get burnt once in awhile but the Ravens, 49ers, etc are aggressive every single down. I can't handle these 8 yard cushions, unimaginative 4 man rush, dump offs to no name WR's that get easy yards from poor tackling much longer.

Scout

Reaction score
Playing zone defense exclusively works IF:

You have a gifted interior DL to push the pocket whether with power or speed (eg Mebane). D. Jones can do it but you need to use stunt games to truly use D. Jones properly.

VERY GOOD tackling.

Communication

Disguising zone defenses.

Mix in some delayed blitzes.

I mean Flores did more with less talent on defense with the Vikes today. He would disguise a cover 0 look and it would turn into a zone defense post snap.

Hurtt has to show more in year 2 as a D coordinator.

hoxrox

Reaction score
No Kupp? No problem. Enter Puka fricken Nakua for 10 catches and 120 yards. Middle of the field open all day, and no pass rush to speak of. No second half adjustments. McVay playing 3D chess, while Hurtt playing tic tac toe.

Scout

Reaction score
The sad part is, the bend but don't break style Pete won't give up still was bottom 3(?) in big plays given up last year. So not only are they playing passively to allow dink and dunk style play, I guess hoping for the other team to screw up, they also give up back breaking 20 yard plays more than most other teams. I look around at other good defenses and they'll get burnt once in awhile but the Ravens, 49ers, etc are aggressive every single down. I can't handle these 8 yard cushions, unimaginative 4 man rush, dump offs to no name WR's that get easy yards from poor tackling much longer.
Bend but don't break died with the rule changes that do not allow safeties to hit WRs coming over the middle of the field. That era of defense is over.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
No, it's never a shootout with the Rams. We had a few chunk plays, but they were getting pressure while dinking and dunking with ease. It's 100% the scheme
Beat them BOTH TIMES last year, so what's your excuse for the Rams shitting the bed then?
I BELIEVE that Pete THOUGHT that he could just give Timothy McVay (er excuse me Sean McVay) the same ass kicking that he'd done last year and will his Seahawks a just coast to a win today....(egg on the face)