Has the ship sailed again ?

Seahawker

Reaction score
Partial list of where Seahawk QB's have come from.

Cal Poly Pomona
Milton College
Central Washington
Fresno State
Idaho
Colorado State
Dartmouth
UNC at Chapel Hill
San Diego State

Give John a chance to turn over a few more rocks, they don't grow on trees.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
The first order of the year was to fix the defense. It has been broken for 7 years, We're talking historically bad. Nothing else matters until this is rectified. They were not in a position to draft the QB they wanted. With other needs they made great moves. I want a new QB too, but I can't watch any more bad defense. You don't beat good teams with a bad defense.

Last edited:

CPHawk

Reaction score
Not according to Milton.
Weird. I was listening to 710 national guys this morning, and that’s what they said. But they are the guys they make work Sundays. So they could be wrong

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Weird. I was listening to 710 national guys this morning, and that’s what they said. But they are the guys they make work Sundays. So they could be wrong
Oh, they might well have drafted him with the idea of him changing positions. Or maybe that's just how pundits all saw it* because of how crowded that QB room is right now. But from what I've read of Milton's quotes, he has no plans to change positions.

Which could lead to an interesting scenario if he's adamant about not changing and the Pats are adamant about him not playing QB. Maybe he could be had for a low next-year's pick.

*Sporting News listed 10 QBs taken in this year's draft, and Milton wasn't among them.

Germanhawk7

Reaction score
Im fine to go with Howell but how many years we want to say „There was no good QB left until we picked“
If there is someone you love you just have to go all in for him.
Next year will be the same.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Every draft pick is a crapshoot . BTW...waiting to acquire and develop a QB last ; is assuming there is ' QB tree ' ready to harvest anytime you're ready to pick one . Dumb plan .

History suggests that it is a smart plan if you want to go to the Super Bowl in the current era.

QB is your most expensive position, and eats up your salary cap, making it hard to build a team around him, unless he is on his rookie contract. Holding on to “franchise QBs,” after their rookie contract, doesn’t seem to be a high percentage play.

The number of teams who have appeared in the Super Bowl with a QB who isn’t either on his rookie contract, or brought on to a stacked team as a free agent, or isn’t one of the 2 generationally great QB’s is vanishingly small.

Your team should be within a four-year window of competing before you draft your “QBOTF,” or ready to compete before you bring in your free-agent QB.

Looking at the last 11 Super Bowls (22 staring QB positions), there are three types of QBs who have started.

Type 1 - 13 SBs started (69%) - Either on rookie contracts, or brought in as free agents.

Type 2 - 7 SBs started (32%) - GOAT type QBs. (Brady with the Pats, and Mahomes post rookie contract.)

Type 3 - 2 SBs started (9%) - “Franchise QBs” not on their rookie contracts.

SB 48
Wilson 1 vs Manning 1

SB 49
Wilson 1 vs Brady 2

SB 50
Manning 1 vs Newton 3

SB 51
Brady 2 vs Ryan 3

SB 52
Brady 2 vs Foles (Wentz) 1

SB 53
Brady 2 vs Goff 1

SB 54
Mahomes 1* vs Garropolo 1

SB 55
Brady 1 vs Mahomes 2

SB 56
Stafford 1 vs Burrow 1

SB 57
Mahomes 2 vs Hurts 1

SB 58
Mahomes 2 vs Purdy 1

*One might argue that Mahomes should be considered a type 2 at this point, even though he technically was on his rookie contract at the time.

WarHawks

Reaction score
With 31 other teams also trying to get to the SB, it's a very difficult process, and nearly impossible without a blue chip qb as the list above illustrates. We got extremely lucky with Russ in the 3rd, which hasn't happened with any team since. Expecting that to happen again is simply not realistic.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Partial list of where Seahawk QB's have come from.

Cal Poly Pomona
Milton College
Central Washington
Fresno State
Idaho
Colorado State
Dartmouth
UNC at Chapel Hill
San Diego State

Give John a chance to turn over a few more rocks, they don't grow on trees.

No wonder Seattle doesn't have a rich tradition of great QB's.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Some teams are good at drafting and trading and taking some unorthodox chances to win at any costs ; while the rest of the teams look on in awe from their sofas during post season games , and the SB .

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Some teams are good at drafting and trading and taking some unorthodox chances to win at any costs ; while the rest of the teams look on in awe from their sofas during post season games , and the SB .

Where does Seattle fit in?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
You wouldn't want the top projected player in next year's draft? Weird thing to say.
I disagree Sanders that Sanders is the top rated QB next year in college. I have watched a lot of his game film including when he was at Jackson St, he looked good against HBCU teams, not good in Div 1 even though he played in the PAC 12 where most teams don’t play good defense.

Going into the season I like Ewers and Beck over Sanders and do expect a QB or 2 to come out of no where

Seahawker

Reaction score
For a bunch of Seahawk fans that witnessed defense win us a Super Bowl and now with a new defensive coach, it's comical to watch the pleadings for a top QB. Are those fantasy football stats like heroin in your veins or is this Mahomes envy? Carry on.

WarHawks

Reaction score
^So the defense scored 43 points against the Broncos in the SB? I must have missed that.

Seahawker

Reaction score
^So the defense scored 43 points against the Broncos in the SB? I must have missed that.
Well... 23 of those points were from that safety, interception and the D putting us in scoring position from forcing turn overs. When you add Harvin's KO return the offense only really scored 13 points on their own. This against a Manning lead offense taunted as one of the greatest ever. You did miss it.

Rat

Reaction score
This team is going to be pretty bad next season, so this should get solved fairly soon. We'll get to see a lot of Howell, and if he shows he can't be the guy, we'll have a high pick in next year's draft to address QB.