Why Do We Care How The Seahawks Win?

pmedic920

Reaction score
Answer is simple.

We’ve grown to have higher expectations than we did prior to the 2000s.

W is a W but this is a situation where the journey is as important as the destination because of our expectations.

How they win effects our expectations for the next game and the remainder of the season.

We all want to have high expectations because we’ve been given reason to have them.

Having said that, I’d be just fine with barely winning 19 straight games.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, hard NOT to have high expectations, it's a good problem to have.
Here's to a bunch more not good enough ugly wins :irishdrinkers:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is a harbinger of future losses.

When you have these small margins for error, inevitably you have errors that erase the margins.

Sure we win a few by small margins, but what about those we lost that we could have won but for our own perplexing unwillingness to focus our offense on scoring in the 1st halves? (It is not as bad this year, likely because our defense IS as bad...so we have to score more).

Also, you leave yourself open for a bad call or unpleasantly aligned referee to remove a potential victory. That single TD that was given up is not as much an issue if you have a 14 pt lead. But it becomes a problem when you only have a 3 point lead.

Finally, the ball eventually bounces the other way. You can only rely on luck for so long. Eventually, the other team makes those close kicks. Eventually, you face a team with a starting QB (though we have faced 4 this year without one). You can rack up a record of success with an approach that works on weaker teams but it won't be successful against the better ones.

Taken together, making a choice to score less in a game where the outcome is determined by the greater score makes little sense. This is especially true when fielding a defense that may not quite be garbage but isn't anything better than average. In fact, it looks worse.

The margin for the win is not the issue, the issue is that some of those approaches that lead to wins will instead lead to losses later. And they will have been avoidable losses, in many instances.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":w7j1iwx2 said:
Speak for yourself, I'm enjoying it. Not entertaining for YOU maybe. I go thru all the emotions, including screaming at the TV when they let up and/or wait til the end to get it done. It's gonna' be ugly, so what? Suck it up and enjoy the rollercoaster. Why not enjoy a win, even if it makes you mad during the game how it happened? 6-2, all that matters.
This isn't the BCS. If you keep getting mad and expect Pete to somehow change how he does things, you're gonna' have a hard time enjoying the sport. This isn't a perfect game, and they are gonna' be an up and down team all year. Big deal. Maybe fan how you want and stop assuming that others are not enjoying the ride? :lol:
Exactly ^This^
I've Seahawks Fanned from the get-go, and I KNOW lousy Seasons, I RELISHED the skinny Wins then, and still do TO THIS DAY.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
JustTheTip":12m2ddwp said:
If it doesn't matter how they win why bother watching, you can find out they won at the end and save yourself the 3-4 hours. People care how we win because they watch football to be entertained and for many fans right now, what Pete brings to the table is more frustrating than entertaining.

I was scrolling, and scrolling, reading replies and while most of them echoed my sentiments, I got to yours and realized that you nailed it.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
And, YES, it's entertaining watching Crip Carson wiggle outta SURE tackles and go on to TRUCK a ninja just bcuz 'why not?'. And to see drop matrix glitches into the hands of 'No E'. But my blood pressure is insanely high after games bcuz PC seems effin bipolar or something. Like he's playing 2 different sports at the same time.

And I was joking in the Game Day thread, but after a little bit more reflection I truly believe that Pete was trying to help keep his folks Dan Quinn employed a week longer by ALLOWING the dirty birds to hang around. I just think he has that kinda mindset.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":kl3svjaf said:
chris98251":kl3svjaf said:
I think winning as you back peddle so to speak like last week and / or having to come from behind last second because you left the door open is rolling the dice eventually those wins become losses when your flipping the coin every week and hoping for a good call or a the right bounce to turn the tide, especially when you shown you were superior early in the game and changed your level of aggressiveness on both offense and defense. Having played sports almost all my young life to an adult winning going away and taking the heart out of an opponent and getting in their heads is what superior teams do. You don't have to humiliate them, but learning to win with class and put someone away is also a valuable trait.

Winning convincingly isn't a bad thing if you do it with class.

As fans, we have become accustomed to winning. For the part 21 years beginning with Mike Holmgren, this team has been a winning franchise. Take away the Mora year, and its been a thing of beauty. Three Super Bowls in 9 years will do that. As Aros pointed out, a win in the 80's and 90's was celebrated all week. Those of us older fans who had to endure not only the first 38 years without a championship but also the XL debacle as well as many years of being an AFC West doormat, are able to look at the big picture and appreciate what we have. At least some of us. I think one of the things we forget as fans is that winning is not a right.

I learned a long time ago to appreciate the journey and to savor the wins no matter how they occur. Even the losses are less impactful on my psyche. The video game mentality has settled into the football world in that winning is no longer the only thing. Winning with style almost counts more than actually winning. Fantasy football has also contributed to this mental critiquing of a football game. By some standards Russell Wilson had a substandard game because he threw for under 200 yards. In many minds, a QB isn't successful unless they throw for over 300 yards.

I don't believe there is an easy answer to the thread question. I care because I'm a fan. Win by one or win by forty, the result in the w/l column is the same.
AMEN! Preach it brother. Great post. :2thumbs: