Why Do We Care How The Seahawks Win?

John63

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":z7dksdqs said:
Past performance is the best indicator of future performance, and we've seen how well we play during the regular season when we can contend for a Super Bowl (2005, 2012-2014). All those teams finished in the top 4 for DVOA by year's end with a variety of impressive wins. Despite having one of the league's best offenses, the current team has been hovering between 6-10 (about where the 2007, 2015, 2017 teams were). I care because we're playing like a playoff team but not yet a champion. I want excitement and hope for a title - not the illusion of it just because we're 6-2.

Except that past performance showing future depends upon the parts staying the same and at the same level, which is not the case. Overall I agree with you.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Look at that, yet another thread discussing the exact same thing being discussed in 20 other threads on the first page alone. If you don't like the answers you have seen so far, regardless of which side of the argument you are on, another thread isn't going to help you.

seedhawk

Reaction score
If or when we win, I could give a rat's butt how it happened. When another team just plain kicks our butt, so be it. The games that really piss me off are the games when thru stupidity we shoot ourselves in the foot too many times, and just piss away what could/should be another W.

We actually do that too frequently lately, and it does nasty things to my disposition.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
That said I do feel that the “blowing out bad opponents” narrative is overblown. The Niners only beat the Redskins by 6 points.

Had the Seahawks dominated teams lately, I’d be completely okay with what happened in the Falcons game. I’d chalk it up to them having a great gameplan and Schaub outplaying the overrated Matt Ryan. But given our recent patterns, I couldn’t feel good about the win

Rat

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1j6pvyq0 said:
That said I do feel that the “blowing out bad opponents” narrative is overblown. The Niners only beat the Redskins by 6 points.

Clearly you didn't actually watch that game. Nobody was going to score much in those conditions.

chris98251

Reaction score
I'm sure the Mods do, policing the Game day Forum is much nicer when we win going away :)

WilliamCooper never shows up on those days.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":27j9l261 said:
I think there is general anxiety over two undeniable points:

1) San Fran is kicking ass and taking names right now.
2) After the TB games, the schedule gets a lot harder.

So 6-2 just doesn't feel as good as it should.

Close games against bad teams tells me we arent going to do well when we get to the tough teams on our schedule.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Dear God, it's the same crap every year. If they barely beat a crap team, they'll automatically lose to the better teams. This team has always played down and UP to their competition. :roll:
Why even bother playing the upcoming games? I mean they clearly have no shot vs. the mighty Niners or any other good team. 6-2

JustTheTip

Reaction score
If it doesn't matter how they win why bother watching, you can find out they won at the end and save yourself the 3-4 hours. People care how we win because they watch football to be entertained and for many fans right now, what Pete brings to the table is more frustrating than entertaining.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Speak for yourself, I'm enjoying it. Not entertaining for YOU maybe. I go thru all the emotions, including screaming at the TV when they let up and/or wait til the end to get it done. It's gonna' be ugly, so what? Suck it up and enjoy the rollercoaster. Why not enjoy a win, even if it makes you mad during the game how it happened? 6-2, all that matters.
This isn't the BCS. If you keep getting mad and expect Pete to somehow change how he does things, you're gonna' have a hard time enjoying the sport. This isn't a perfect game, and they are gonna' be an up and down team all year. Big deal. Maybe fan how you want and stop assuming that others are not enjoying the ride? :lol:

JustTheTip

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":pr03util said:
Speak for yourself, I'm enjoying it. I go thru all the emotions, including screaming at the TV when they let up and/or wait til the end to get it down. It's gonna' be ugly, big deal. Suck it up and enjoy the rollercoaster. Why not enjoy a win, even if it makes you mad during the game how it happened? 6-2.

I am speaking for myself. I said for many because I talk to people who feel the same way and see the posts here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JGreen79":3g9lz8b3 said:
Sgt. Largent":3g9lz8b3 said:
MontanaHawk05":3g9lz8b3 said:
Only funny thing is that our 2013 season flew quite in the face of this trend. So I do believe in the "get hot at the right time" mentality, to a point.
Eight wins by 10 points or more, SIX wins by 20 points or more.

Also needing overtime to beat a Matt Schaub led team that eventually went 2-14 in week 4.
Or needing overtime at home over a that finished 4-12 in week 9.
Or playing down to the Rams in week 8. A game that was more of an ugly win than any game this season.

First Downs: Sea - 7, STL - 23

Rushing: Sea - 15 rush, 44 yds, STL - 37 rush, 200 yds

Passing: 10/18, 139yds, 2td, 0 int STL - 15/31, 158yds, 0td, 2int

Total Yards: Sea - 135, STL - 339

ToP : Sea - 21:51, STL - 38:09

So I gave eight convincing wins by 10-20 pts or more as an example of what I'm talking about, and you gave three examples, two of which were divisional opponents.

You guys have your Hawk colored glasses on so thick it's not even funny. This is not a championship caliber team, they're just not.

The Hawks are a good team this year for sure, and they've been fun to watch. But so far the best two teams we've played, we've lost to, at home...........AND we've barely beaten four really bad teams, three of which were playing backup QB's.

That's not the recipe for a SB run, it's just not. It's a recipe for scratching and clawing for a WC seed again, like last year.

Now maybe some luck will come our way with injuries to SF and LA down the stretch and we can get back into the divisional race. But bottom line? If you guys can't see that how you win matters, then you haven't been paying attention around the league, or historically with what teams win SB's.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Clearly not a Super Bowl team this year, but the future is bright. I'm confident that in 2020, they flat out ARE going to be a contender. I can't imagine that most honestly thought that this young team w/all the turnover etc. was going to be in the Super Bowl. That being said, 6-2 is a damn good start, regardless who they play. I just don't waste any time assuming that they will lose to any really good team just because they squeak by (the way Pete kind of rolls) against lesser teams. This is all a matter of OPINION, there is nothing wrong with believe this team can beat any team in the league. And Nov and Dec have been when this team hits it's stride. Will they? Maybe. But then again, they may shock us again, just like last year. People wrote them off mid-season, period.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3r7095ok said:
Clearly not a Super Bowl team this year, but the future is bright. I'm confident that in 2020, they flat out ARE going to be a contender. I can't imagine that most honestly thought that this young team w/all the turnover etc. was going to be in the Super Bowl. That being said, 6-2 is a damn good start, regardless who they play. I just don't waste any time assuming that they will lose to any really good team just because they squeak by (the way Pete kind of rolls) against lesser teams. This is all a matter of OPINION, there is nothing wrong with believe this team can beat any team in the league. And Nov and Dec have been when this team hits it's stride. Will they? Maybe. But then again, they may shock us again, just like last year. People wrote them off mid-season, period.

I don't remember anyone writing off the Hawks last year.

We were all having the same conversations we're having this year going into November.........probably not going to win the division but really good chance to nail down a WC spot.

But like last year, when you have glaring deficiencies on defense, mediocre special teams and your utterly and completely dependent on your QB to play perfectly in order to eek out wins against bad teams? Eh, doesn't exactly inspire SB hopes and dreams.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
My reason why I care. Every game will consist of gifted/lucky calls or non calls as well as missed kicks for both teams. When the team wins by double digits no one cares about those intangibles. When the team BARELY wins then haters and critics just point to those intangibles as luck and as a fan I hate the “lucky” narrative that follows the Seahawks game after game. Because I certainly don’t see them as “lucky”.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":tpu6jfrj said:
JGreen79":tpu6jfrj said:
Sgt. Largent":tpu6jfrj said:
Eight wins by 10 points or more, SIX wins by 20 points or more.

Also needing overtime to beat a Matt Schaub led team that eventually went 2-14 in week 4.
Or needing overtime at home over a that finished 4-12 in week 9.
Or playing down to the Rams in week 8. A game that was more of an ugly win than any game this season.

First Downs: Sea - 7, STL - 23

Rushing: Sea - 15 rush, 44 yds, STL - 37 rush, 200 yds

Passing: 10/18, 139yds, 2td, 0 int STL - 15/31, 158yds, 0td, 2int

Total Yards: Sea - 135, STL - 339

ToP : Sea - 21:51, STL - 38:09

So I gave eight convincing wins by 10-20 pts or more as an example of what I'm talking about, and you gave three examples, two of which were divisional opponents.

You guys have your Hawk colored glasses on so thick it's not even funny. This is not a championship caliber team, they're just not.

The Hawks are a good team this year for sure, and they've been fun to watch. But so far the best two teams we've played, we've lost to, at home...........AND we've barely beaten four really bad teams, three of which were playing backup QB's.

That's not the recipe for a SB run, it's just not. It's a recipe for scratching and clawing for a WC seed again, like last year.

Now maybe some luck will come our way with injuries to SF and LA down the stretch and we can get back into the divisional race. But bottom line? If you guys can't see that how you win matters, then you haven't been paying attention around the league, or historically with what teams win SB's.

I have never once claimed this was a championship caliber team.

You stated that championship caliber teams beat bad teams by double digits.

Montana stated that the 2013 season flew quite in the face of that trend.

I provided three examples where a championship team needed OT to beat two of the worst teams in the league, one of which was 0-8 at the time.

I do believe that playing like this late in the year is a sign of trouble in the playoffs. However I have seen Pete and Russ enough to know that at this point in the season a win is a win.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And the season is half over. There is a TON of football to be played. I don't get the assuming the worst stuff, just like people don't understand the positive vibe. God forbid we believe in our team, even if the expectations might be down a little bit overall.
Zag makes a good point, it's funny how close games are somehow just pure luck. But if you win by 10 or more, nobody bats an eye. Teams all over the league barely beat crap teams all the time, it happens. It's annoying, but believe it or not, even the all time great teams and super bowl winners squeak by in games thru the season.
Shoot, it's sad that at 24 zip, I was looking forward to just ONE damn week of not hearing how much the Hawks somehow suck. Oh well, got the W.