The younger generation doesn’t understand how good we had it…

Parallax

Reaction score
It's wild to think that those defenses were so deep/had so much personality, that nobody ever mentions us having an all pro first ballot HOF mlb calling the plays during the run lol.

Perhaps that will change once he retires, but even in the midst of it, Bobby has never been in the forefront of the discussion around those defenses.
Yes, Bobby deserves his due. He's the other one who could get to the HOF. Really, there were a bunch of valuable parts. KJ could really sniff out screens. I loved Michael Bennett. But the core of it had to be the big three. Or big four if you prefer.

Parallax

Reaction score
I don't know if you've ever watched curb your enthusiasm, but larry David has a great bit about aggressive honking vs love taps

I'd never really made the connection, but I 100 percent see what you're saying with the parallels between talking to people online and between cars while driving.

Not as popular, but there's a term called drive by posting (not making this up) that kind of connects the two now that I think about it
Will try to find that Larry David piece. He was so funny in his deeply cynical way. Perfect for the "90s. Perfect for any time since the "70s really. Our world since Vietnam and Watergate woke America up to things we may have preferred not to see or fathom. I don't want to stray into politics so I'll shut up now. Consider just a quick political drive-by. ;0)

Ozzy

Reaction score
You sum up my perspective well. A diversity of opinions is a good thing. There's a richness when we see things differently. Then we can learn from each other.

I don't know why some seem to feel threatened by opinions different from their own. I don't get the need to call others out as "wrong" or deficient. That sort of behavior detracts from the pleasant experience of conversing with other fans, all of us pulling for the same team. We've chosen to be part of this tribe so why not act like it. We can be brothers and sisters here or we act like jerks. It seems a silly waste of an opportunity to have a community when we call each other out needlessly.

So if anyone catches me calling others out, feel free to gently remind me of what I wrote here now. My goal is to approach differences of opinion with curiosity and openness rather than condemnation. Always.

I think social media and how politics are discussed in this country has made a lot of people use that us vs them, good vs evil in every situation out of habit. I think people that are passionate about that topic are going to be the worst offenders when discussing other topics. Not trying to talk about the “P” word as it’s not allowed but just in the general sense and how it shapes discussions if that makes sense

Seahawker

Reaction score
I think social media and how politics are discussed in this country has made a lot of people use that us vs them, good vs evil in every situation out of habit. I think people that are passionate about that topic are going to be the worst offenders when discussing other topics. Not trying to talk about the “P” word as it’s not allowed but just in the general sense and how it shapes discussions if that makes sense
1708781016 img 7715 mmthumb

Parallax

Reaction score
I appreciate your point about how our passions drive us. I see people get passionate about different things. We're a weird clique, those of us who can get worked up about a game. I know some very dedicated people who get worked up about issues with big social implications. I get a bit worked up myself around social justice issues. Things that really impact people's lives. Those born into this world without much chance for success or happiness while others are born with so much -- sometimes too much. But then life is like that. Not always fair. Nature isn't fair. When I was growing up, a kid across the street suffered leukemia for several years and then died a painful death. But then his death brought together our families.

My father and his father had disliked each other for years but, when the son died, we were invited over to sit shiva, a Jewish tradition. We all got dressed up in our best and crossed the street. The father spoke of his son so movingly. After that, our families bonded. Our parents liked each other after that. Our fathers respected each other. His parents went from treating me like persona non grata to someone they were consistently glad to see. When I came home to college, I made a point of going by to greet them. It taught me that beauty can grow out of tragedy. The broken hearts can open to love.

Football, by comparison, seems meaningless. Except that it's an artificial way to inspire feelings that can be in many ways similar. Who's to say what has real importance, real meaning? It's a kind of artificial warfare that deliberately creates winners and losers, which can give rise to a sense of meaning.

Ozzy

Reaction score

lol I’ll just agree to disagree. I think it’s fairly obvious to me that habits are formed in how people talk to strangers on the internet and it’s becoming more prevalent to be combative in a sense. Maybe I’m crazy as you say. Who knows

Seahawker

Reaction score
The meme wasn't meant towards you 25. It's just a reflection of how political dialog usually ends up.

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
If you think last year was bad? Three words Tom Flores Era! Fan since 1976 here

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Carroll, JS, (and likely McCloughan) created one of the most dominant teams in the NFL ever. We had some slips and certainly missed a few more dominant years by losing Tate, Unger, and a few more (Harvin was part of the SB, but probably heralded the other side of the slide the moment he got here).

Nobody can deny how lucky we were to get Carroll.

It just didn't make sense to keep him longer. It never meant he did not give us an incredible run. And likely a run we won't see again for some time.

Expectations probably need a reset. The chances of getting a top 5 coach again is ridiculously low.

bigcc

Reaction score
I appreciate your point about how our passions drive us. I see people get passionate about different things. We're a weird clique, those of us who can get worked up about a game. I know some very dedicated people who get worked up about issues with big social implications. I get a bit worked up myself around social justice issues. Things that really impact people's lives. Those born into this world without much chance for success or happiness while others are born with so much -- sometimes too much. But then life is like that. Not always fair. Nature isn't fair. When I was growing up, a kid across the street suffered leukemia for several years and then died a painful death. But then his death brought together our families.

My father and his father had disliked each other for years but, when the son died, we were invited over to sit shiva, a Jewish tradition. We all got dressed up in our best and crossed the street. The father spoke of his son so movingly. After that, our families bonded. Our parents liked each other after that. Our fathers respected each other. His parents went from treating me like persona non grata to someone they were consistently glad to see. When I came home to college, I made a point of going by to greet them. It taught me that beauty can grow out of tragedy. The broken hearts can open to love.

Football, by comparison, seems meaningless. Except that it's an artificial way to inspire feelings that can be in many ways similar. Who's to say what has real importance, real meaning? It's a kind of artificial warfare that deliberately creates winners and losers, which can give rise to a sense of meaning.
Football from playing/coaching helped me develop leadership amongst the other stereotypical traits people associate with it, but more importantly, at least among the men in my family, it's how we bond.

Football is family/friend time for me (and I assume MANY on here), so it's about more than just the game itself, though I'm passionate about that as well.

It's also been long enough that it's easy to forget, but I don't think seattle has ever been as united in my lifetime as during/immediately following the superbowl run. It built a sense of community.

bigcc

Reaction score
Carroll, JS, (and likely McCloughan) created one of the most dominant teams in the NFL ever. We had some slips and certainly missed a few more dominant years by losing Tate, Unger, and a few more (Harvin was part of the SB, but probably heralded the other side of the slide the moment he got here).

Nobody can deny how lucky we were to get Carroll.

It just didn't make sense to keep him longer. It never meant he did not give us an incredible run. And likely a run we won't see again for some time.

Expectations probably need a reset. The chances of getting a top 5 coach again is ridiculously low.
I agree with all of this 100 percent.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Every generation complains about the younger generation. While the younger generation complains the older one doesn't understand today's word. Rinse and repeat. I am starting to see why the oldest generations stop caring entirely. I honestly did not even want to post this because even in posting its just a waste of time and energy

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
Basically 1989-2002 was crap and I watched every game that I could that wasn't blacked out. There was one playoff loss, no 10 win seasons, one division title, and three winning seasons. That's why I wasn't all in on just canning Pete. I get it, and I don't really have a huge issue with it, as it's clear the Seahawks were mired in mediocrity, but McDonald isn't necessarily going to be any better. Be grateful for Holmgren and Carroll. Three Superb Owls and really we should be at least 2-1 if not for stupid play calls and awful refs.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I just got curious and googled whether or not there was any kind of regulation on social media in this country and it looks like the supreme court is attempting something. It is a very interesting time because TV due to its outreach (at the time) needed some form of regulation. However social media was created and blew up so quickly and our country holds freedom of speech as one of its true core values, but at the same time social media is not regulated at all and trusting on the companies themselves to regulate themselves is still a conflict of interest in a lot of ways. It's a very sensitive and interesting topic probably not for here, but I am very curious how/if/when there will be some regulations of social media and internet open forums like this, reddit, etc. in the future. Because as of now although it became a wonderful place to open the eyes of many to a world outside of their own peer circle, it has also created a lot of passion and conflict and unknown long term consequences of human behavior.

Parallax

Reaction score
Football from playing/coaching helped me develop leadership amongst the other stereotypical traits people associate with it, but more importantly, at least among the men in my family, it's how we bond.

Football is family/friend time for me (and I assume MANY on here), so it's about more than just the game itself, though I'm passionate about that as well.

It's also been long enough that it's easy to forget, but I don't think seattle has ever been as united in my lifetime as during/immediately following the superbowl run. It built a sense of community.
Good points. I bond with each of my sons through football. Unfortunately, one is a 49er fans so I am too (throwing up a bit in my mouth). The other is only 9, so we're completely on the same page (Hawks and Dawgs -- he likes to pretend he's a real dawg). The little guy also knows way more than his brother or me. His brother's a software engineer with google, a genius, but the younger fella knows almost all the players on all the teams in the league and their numbers. He has encyclopedic knowledge and I have no idea where it even comes from. Last year he watched the entire draft (so I got roped into watching it too). He plans to watch the combine. It's become a part of his education -- supporting skills like reading, writing and math.

Parallax

Reaction score
Every generation complains about the younger generation. While the younger generation complains the older one doesn't understand today's word. Rinse and repeat. I am starting to see why the oldest generations stop caring entirely. I honestly did not even want to post this because even in posting its just a waste of time and energy
What are you responding to? What have us old guys stopped caring about?

Parallax

Reaction score
Basically 1989-2002 was crap and I watched every game that I could that wasn't blacked out. There was one playoff loss, no 10 win seasons, one division title, and three winning seasons. That's why I wasn't all in on just canning Pete. I get it, and I don't really have a huge issue with it, as it's clear the Seahawks were mired in mediocrity, but McDonald isn't necessarily going to be any better. Be grateful for Holmgren and Carroll. Three Superb Owls and really we should be at least 2-1 if not for stupid play calls and awful refs.
Macdonald might not be better. But we weren't going anywhere with Pete. If you don't try, there's no chance of success.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
What are you responding to? What have us old guys stopped caring about?
You're not the oldest generations i'm referring to that stopped caring. Talking about the people who are like in their 70s+...