Why Do We Care How The Seahawks Win?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was thinking about this earlier today. Why, as fans, do we really care if we win by 1 point in a ugly game we assumed we would win convincingly, or by 40 points in a surprisingly dominant performance? After all, a win is a win in this league. At the end of the season, nobody cares about style points. It's W or L in the column that matters.

Of course, as a fan, it's much more enjoyable to watch our favorite team dominate on gameday. But truly, in the end, what does it really matter? We poke fun at the Patriots for beating up on what many consider a weak division for many years, racking up Lombardi's along the way. Do they care? Last I checked those Lombardi's look very real and shiny to me, even at the Bills, Dolphins and Jets' expense.

I get that being a diehard, it's in our collective DNA to dissect wins and losses, good bad or ugly. But, I can't help but wonder, why do we really care HOW we won, IF we won? Is it a personal insult if a team we assume we will beat - especially at home - almost beat us? The Bengals is a good example. Most of us assumed we would destroy them in our home opener, yet they gave us a good scare. Now they are 0-8.

I guess for me personally, I feel like the team is underachieving unless they blow out a team like the 1-7 Falcons. So I get upset when I see them let them back in to make it a game in the second half. The Ravens and Saints are both solid teams we lost to at home. But, both games should have been wins. It's not like they were heads and shoulders a better team than us. a 2-2 record at home is garbage for a team with this pedigree.

So when we do win, why don't we embrace each victory for the blessing it is? Instead, we bitch and moan about every shortcoming or expectation dashed. Is this just what it means to be a diehard fan?

Curious to hear your thoughts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I usually don't. For some stupid reason, it really bugged me this time. But, it's Tuesday, and I'm back to not caring one big how they win :lol:

Seriously thought, I think it's just hard to not have high expectations of this team, even with it being so young and needing to improve. We want to tell ourselves they are a contender, even IF they are likely a year away. That being said, the fact that we do care so much after a game shows passion, and that's good.
Being angry like the world came to an end after a loss is a little over the top though. And maybe the thought of actually blowing out a team for once just got us stoked. Only to see them let up a little AND the Falcons play a lot better. We joke all the time at home about how it would be amazing to have a comfortable win "just once in my lifetime" :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1a417232 said:
I would just like to have a relaxed 4th quarter viewing day for a change. Other than that, it makes no difference.

I hear that. It was weird Sunday to feel like we kind of lost when we beat a team on the road. Something that is always, always difficult to do. I couldn't quite figure out why I wasn't elated with the win. Instead I felt butthurt somehow. I think the success in the PC/Russ/LOB Era has tainted my perceptions and expectations. Hell, in much of the 80's and 90's ANY victory was a week-long celebration, lol!

Joshoeuh

Reaction score
I think it’s just a perception thing. To some, if you win ugly it doesn’t show that you’re a good team. You have to win in a blowout to validate your standing.

I’ll take a close win over a loss any day. I don’t care how they get there as long as they get there.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":nvbnogf6 said:
I usually don't. For some stupid reason, it really bugged me this time. But, it's Tuesday, and I'm back to not caring one big how they win :lol: Seriously thought, I think it's just hard to not have high expectations of this team, even with it being so young and needing to improve. We want to tell ourselves they are a contender, even IF they are likely a year away. That being said, the fact that we do care so much after a game shows passion, and that's good.
Being angry like the world came to an end after a loss is a little over the top though. And maybe the thought of actually blowing out a team for once just got us stoked. Only to see them let up a little AND the Falcons play a lot better. We joke all the time at home about how it would be amazing to have a comfortable win "just once in my lifetime" :irishdrinkers:

I think you are right. Logically, this team is probably another year or so away from REALLY being championship contenders but with Russ as we know, we are always in every game no matter the opponent, so perhaps expectations get amplified a bit from that alone. We want to believe we still have a dominant defense but we simply do not. Maybe in a year or two or three, but right now they are middle of the pack and it's hard to come to terms with that after being spoiled with the LOB over the last six years or so.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Because great teams don't play down to their opponents, they kick their ass. Look no further then the Pats, or how the Niners are rolling their bad opponents this year.

That's how you create the kind of culture, killer instinct and total team discipline that wins championships.

Championship caliber teams and organizations win close games through discipline and execution, and win games against bad opponents by double digits allowing their starters to relax and even sit in 4th quarters that create a benefit of rest by the end of the season that other teams constantly scrapping and clawing to eek out close games don't get the advantage of.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aros":13pgd1fa said:
hawksfansinceday1":13pgd1fa said:
I would just like to have a relaxed 4th quarter viewing day for a change. Other than that, it makes no difference.

I hear that. It was weird Sunday to feel like we kind of lost when we beat a team on the road. Something that is always, always difficult to do. I couldn't quite figure out why I wasn't elated with the win. Instead I felt butthurt somehow. I think the success in the PC/Russ/LOB Era has tainted my perceptions and expectations. Hell, in much of the 80's and 90's ANY victory was a week-long celebration, lol!
Same with any 10 AM east coast road win under Holmgren
oh wait, there weren't any of those. Never mind

chris98251

Reaction score
I think winning as you back peddle so to speak like last week and / or having to come from behind last second because you left the door open is rolling the dice eventually those wins become losses when your flipping the coin every week and hoping for a good call or a the right bounce to turn the tide, especially when you shown you were superior early in the game and changed your level of aggressiveness on both offense and defense. Having played sports almost all my young life to an adult winning going away and taking the heart out of an opponent and getting in their heads is what superior teams do. You don't have to humiliate them, but learning to win with class and put someone away is also a valuable trait.

Winning convincingly isn't a bad thing if you do it with class.

xray

Reaction score
If a team plays hard and as good as they are capable for 4 quarters and loses ; that's fine with me . They tried their best .
When a team plays their best for only 2 or so quarters ...in other words ; just enough to squeak out a win ; it pisses me off . Players and coaches are paid very handsomely to do their best ; and when they don't or won't ; the organization and the fans are being cheated IMO .

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think there is general anxiety over two undeniable points:

1) San Fran is kicking ass and taking names right now.
2) After the TB games, the schedule gets a lot harder.

So 6-2 just doesn't feel as good as it should.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1atr705b said:
Because great teams don't play down to their opponents, they kick their ass. Look no further then the Pats, or how the Niners are rolling their bad opponents this year.

Yes, so far at the halfway mark. We'll see if both these teams can keep it up, but odds are they're gonna have their dog games just like everybody else.

The Patriots won the Super Bowl last year. They "played down" in their Jacksonville game (against what would become a 5-11 team). They "played down" in their Detroit game (finished 6-10) and lost. They "played down" in one of their Miami games (finished 7-9) and lost. They "played down" in Tennesse game (only mustered 10 points) and lost. They "played down" in that Steelers game and lost. They "played down" against the Bears and were down 10 points in the second quarter. They were up 15 points at the half and allowed the Texans to pull within 7 within two minutes. They couldn't even get up at the half against the lowly Jets in one of their games.

That Patriots defense is on some kind of insane tear this year so far. But that Super Bowl winning Patriots team last year "played down" plenty to crappier teams. The Patriots are not some juggernaut that just annihilates every weak team they play when they step on the field. Even with their great success, they still struggle against teams with poor records, and sometimes it costs them games. Because it's the NFL, teams aren't that far away in talent, and even beating the Dolphins this year isn't a gimme.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Also it's more fun when this team has a defense that kicks the crap out of the opposing offense, and I don't really care how the offense plays as long as they get enough points. But the first thing is missing, and I think that's the caveat on the wins. This team doesn't have the defense to hang with the best teams; it could materialize but giving up nearly 25 points a game is untenable.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
chris98251":78robr9g said:
I think winning as you back peddle so to speak like last week and / or having to come from behind last second because you left the door open is rolling the dice eventually those wins become losses when your flipping the coin every week and hoping for a good call or a the right bounce to turn the tide, especially when you shown you were superior early in the game and changed your level of aggressiveness on both offense and defense. Having played sports almost all my young life to an adult winning going away and taking the heart out of an opponent and getting in their heads is what superior teams do. You don't have to humiliate them, but learning to win with class and put someone away is also a valuable trait.

Winning convincingly isn't a bad thing if you do it with class.

As fans, we have become accustomed to winning. For the part 21 years beginning with Mike Holmgren, this team has been a winning franchise. Take away the Mora year, and its been a thing of beauty. Three Super Bowls in 9 years will do that. As Aros pointed out, a win in the 80's and 90's was celebrated all week. Those of us older fans who had to endure not only the first 38 years without a championship but also the XL debacle as well as many years of being an AFC West doormat, are able to look at the big picture and appreciate what we have. At least some of us. I think one of the things we forget as fans is that winning is not a right.

I learned a long time ago to appreciate the journey and to savor the wins no matter how they occur. Even the losses are less impactful on my psyche. The video game mentality has settled into the football world in that winning is no longer the only thing. Winning with style almost counts more than actually winning. Fantasy football has also contributed to this mental critiquing of a football game. By some standards Russell Wilson had a substandard game because he threw for under 200 yards. In many minds, a QB isn't successful unless they throw for over 300 yards.

I don't believe there is an easy answer to the thread question. I care because I'm a fan. Win by one or win by forty, the result in the w/l column is the same.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1u95fiqz said:
Sgt. Largent":1u95fiqz said:

Yes, so far at the halfway mark. We'll see if both these teams can keep it up, but odds are they're gonna have their dog games just like everybody else.

The Patriots won the Super Bowl last year. They "played down" in their Jacksonville game (against what would become a 5-11 team). They "played down" in their Detroit game (finished 6-10) and lost. They "played down" in one of their Miami games (finished 7-9) and lost. They "played down" in Tennesse game (only mustered 10 points) and lost. They "played down" in that Steelers game and lost. They "played down" against the Bears and were down 10 points in the second quarter. They were up 15 points at the half and allowed the Texans to pull within 7 within two minutes. They couldn't even get up at the half against the lowly Jets in one of their games.

That Patriots defense is on some kind of insane tear this year so far. But that Super Bowl winning Patriots team last year "played down" plenty to crappier teams. The Patriots are not some juggernaut that just annihilates every weak team they play when they step on the field. Even with their great success, they still struggle against teams with poor records, and sometimes it costs them games. Because it's the NFL, teams aren't that far away in talent, and even beating the Dolphins this year isn't a gimme.

For sure, I'm not saying the Pats haven't really been tested or NEVER play down to their opponents. But over the past 15 years they usually beat bad opponents handily, and squeak out FAR too many close games by out-executing good teams.

Us? We like to shoot ourselves in the foot, make a bunch of dumb mistakes which keeps games close.....along with a HC that plays far too conservatively with a lead.

That's all I'm saying.

erik2690

Reaction score
To me it seems super obvious. You want the team you root for to play optimally. I mean if all we're doing is comparing winning to losing, of course you take any win over any loss, but there's so much more to it than that clearly. You want your team playing their best football for full games or as close to that as possible. And you also grade on the scale of opponent to some extent. A squeaker vs. a good team is much easier to accept than one vs a bad team and so on.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I do think that how you win matters. I don't see the reaction to this most recent win as an overreaction.

- We allowed 500 yards to an offense led by Matt Schaub. I think that's appalling.
- We haven't had a signature win all season. Every single game has been close enough to call them "lucky wins." Granted, it's better to be lucky than good. But I've been watching football long enough where we've seen "pretenders" get off to hot starts. I don't want to believe this team is a pretender.

I want to believe that Russ and Pete will figure it out, but it's been 8 games already. At what point should we react? I'm grateful we make it to the playoffs pretty much every year. But if we believe we have a HOF coach and QB, it's okay to expect more and to not be okay with our special teams and defense.

sutz

Reaction score
I'll fall back on my pat answer and blame Fantasy Football. :twisted:

No, really, since the internet (and yes, I remember pre-internet football) there have been literally thousands of people come out of the woodwork who fancy themselves coaches and general managers, which wouldn't be so bad if 90% of them didn't come off like they are dead certain that they know far more than the professionals who are running the team. They are all over the internet, and I'm sure there are generally dozens of them on every fan board.

I used to enjoy x's and o's talk, but now it always seem to come down to some BS internet whizzing contest between self-styled experts. :pukeface:

Yeah, yeah, we all want the 'Hawks to kick ass and take names, and they never seem to do it often enough to suit anybody. But all the armchair QB-ing and monday morning coaching gets a little tiresome.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":3caa4vxw said:
But all the armchair QB-ing and monday morning coaching gets a little tiresome.

Isn't that what a sports forum is for?

Jville

Reaction score
sutz":1sck00mm said:
I'll fall back on my pat answer and blame Fantasy Football. :twisted:

No, really, since the internet (and yes, I remember pre-internet football) there have been literally thousands of people come out of the woodwork who fancy themselves coaches and general managers, which wouldn't be so bad if 90% of them didn't come off like they are dead certain that they know far more than the professionals who are running the team. They are all over the internet, and I'm sure there are generally dozens of them on every fan board.

I used to enjoy x's and o's talk, but now it always seem to come down to some BS internet whizzing contest between self-styled experts. :pukeface:

Yeah, yeah, we all want the 'Hawks to kick ass and take names, and they never seem to do it often enough to suit anybody. But all the armchair QB-ing and monday morning coaching gets a little tiresome.

I hear what your saying. But, isn't it also an extension of traditional water cooler bragging rights? As in, who can crow the loudest in the face of opposing fans.

Latest posts