Why do the Rams own the Seahawks?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Beat them BOTH TIMES last year, so what's your excuse for the Rams shitting the bed then?
I BELIEVE that Pete THOUGHT that he could just give Timothy McVay (er excuse me Sean McVay) the same ass kicking that he'd done last year and will his Seahawks a just coast win....(egg on the face)

One reason I was confident about this game is because we basically played Seattle straight up both times last year without Stafford or Kupp, missing AD for one and the OL in shambles for both games

Scout

Reaction score
One reason I was confident about this game is because we basically played Seattle straight up both times last year without Stafford or Kupp, missing AD for one and the OL in shambles for both games
Straight up the Rams, Packers, and Bucs still look like physical teams. The "experts" had them all in tank mode but that is far from the truth.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Straight up the Rams, Packers, and Bucs still look like physical teams. The "experts" had them all in tank mode but that is far from the truth.
The rams one.. idk why the "Experts" thought they'd tank. 21 of 53 on IR.. that'll screw up anyone plans. lol Fast forward to this year, they're down only Kupp, and without Ramsey... so nothings really changed. And they have a rookie who is seemingly so far.. Kupp Clone lol.

Scout

Reaction score
The rams one.. idk why the "Experts" thought they'd tank. 21 of 53 on IR.. that'll screw up anyone plans. lol Fast forward to this year, they're down only Kupp, and without Ramsey... so nothings really changed. And they have a rookie who is seemingly so far.. Kupp Clone lol.
I kind of see why the experts are down with the Packers and Bucs as both lost HoF QBs. But both the Packers and Bucs are still physical teams without Rodgers or Brady.

And the Rams are still a physical team and they have Stafford.

Think of it this way. Brady retired and Rodgers went to the AFC while Carr came to the conference (Saints). So Stafford by default is a top five QB in the NFC conference.

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
Beat them BOTH TIMES last year, so what's your excuse for the Rams shitting the bed then?
I BELIEVE that Pete THOUGHT that he could just give Timothy McVay (er excuse me Sean McVay) the same ass kicking that he'd done last year and will his Seahawks a just coast to a win today....(egg on the face)
You mean when they were missing half their starters last year including their QB? Smh, dumb grade school post. Wasn't an ass kicking last year and obviously that isn't Pete's mindset, it's a scheme/matchup issue.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I kind of see why the experts are down with the Packers and Bucs as both lost HoF QBs. But both the Packers and Bucs are still physical teams without Rodgers or Brady.

And the Rams are still a physical team and they have Stafford.

Think of it this way. Brady retired and Rodgers went to the AFC while Carr came to the conference (Saints). So Stafford by default is a top five QB in the NFC conference.

There has been a really weird thing with the Rams going back to St. Louis where our solid players are completely unknown.

Even now you'll see things like "Donald and jags" for our defense. But we have about four really solid starters, two of which who are still ascending, and then another two who were day two picks this year who looked great today (Byron Jones and Kobie Turner).

Then three who are probably closer to jags, but two of them were late picks last year who seem to have some potential.

But what really struck me watching Detroit shut KC down on Thursday was that our d is very similar to theirs in terms of talent.

With Stafford - reports were he looked better in camp than he did in 2021 so this wasn't too surprising.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Well, Seattle primarily plays zone coverages and does very little to disguise those coverages. Mcvay knows how to draw up plays to exploit the holes in the zone, knowing that the play will be successful if Seattle can't get pressure. After a few big completions, our LBs start cheating toward the pass, running lanes open, and our defense is so discombobulated that the Rams can do whatever they want.
This is primarily the issue.

Pete is very vanilla. Doesn't disguise a whole lot. McVay/Stafford knows the coverage & takes advantage. It's that simple.

This has been an issue going back several years (since LOB era).

Last edited:

Hawknight

Reaction score
Can anyone with high football IQ explain why the Rams under McVay own Seattle? It's obviously a scheme and matchup issue that McVay is able to take advantage of. I'm just wondering why, even in a bad year, he somehow out schemes Pete every game. Can someone explain, on a technical level, what he is exploiting? This goes beyond a team just playing their rival tough, something else is in play.
MacVay is to Carroll like Carroll was to Harbaugh...it just can't be explained

CactusJack

Reaction score
MacVay is to Carroll like Carroll was to Harbaugh...it just can't be explained
Actually it can be explained.

For years, everyone knew they we're primarily a Cover 3 team. They didn't disguise it. So opposing teams focused on attacking that coverage.

Today, whenever the defense was playing soft zone coverages, they knew exactly how to attack it. They we're too predictable.

That's the problem.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Have to feel a little for Bobby....I think that's now six straight losses for him in this rivalry dating back to the playoff game in the 2020/2021 season.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
It’s just not McVay Hawks had problems with the Rams when Jeff Fisher was coaching them. PC has a tendency to be predictable

That was a Russell Wilson thing. Look at what we did to him last year in a year where we were ravaged by injuries.

With Fisher we almost never had success offensively - we could just play Wilson really well. Obviously he had some good games against us, but they were less than the bad ones.

Seattle played man a few times today and got torched. They blitz and got torched. Zone, torched. No pass rush, and if there's no pressure......

I can't remember a single team having success against us that couldn't pressure.

hawks85

Reaction score
The Hawks are unable to adapt to the motion and misdirection that the Rams use on offense. The Patriots showed the league how to counter that years ago but a lot of teams lack the discipline on defense to pull it off.

Keep in mind that the Rams did this without Kupp.
Kupp's replacement lit up our best Corner for 100 yards plus.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This question almost answers itself if you also ask the question - why do we always seem to beat the 49ers, even when they had better teams? Then usually struggle with the Rams?

(Hint: We aren't beating the 49ers anymore, the guy that offset a huge Pete Carroll trait that let us beat the Niners but lost to the Ram....is no longer here)

But Cactus nailed a big part of it. Pete comes in with a plan that he knows, his players know, and the opponents know. He does not change this regardless of opponent, matchups, history, or anything else. He will do the same thing regardless of opponent strengths or weaknesses, schedule or standings, and likely even weather.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
No, it's never a shootout with the Rams. We had a few chunk plays, but they were getting pressure while dinking and dunking with ease. It's 100% the scheme
This is true. They seem to do all of their damage in the middle whether it is in the run or pass.