Hawks have not drafted a 1st or 2nd Round QB...

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
... in 31 years (1993)

Rick Mirer - 1993

Seems like a a team playing roulette with the position instead of blackjack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scout

Reaction score
The time is coming I think.

But I think the Hawks have a better team structure for a rookie QB soon.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
The time is coming I think.

But I think the Hawks have a better team structure for a rookie QB soon.
I didn't want a trade up and no one merited #16. But if you are going to go through a rookie QB year I wish it was next year than the year after.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Well, this is MM's first year and already took 3 OLinemen along with a blocking TE. To be successful with a rookie QB, you have to put a wall in front of him, I feel like they did a pretty decent job of that already and the lack of QB talent that was there when they picked would've been a huge reach. I for one am tired of them reaching like they used to do JUST because of need, and have no interest in seeing those days come back.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
In 1988 the Seahawks traded three picks including their first round choice along with two additional picks to the St Louis Cardinals for QB Kelly Stouffer. He was on the Seahawks roster for four years. He passed for a total of 2333 yards and had a 7-19 TD/INT ratio.

In 1991 they used the #16 pick overall on QB Dan McGwire. Could have had Favre who went in the 2nd round but ******* Ken over Behring and his vast football knowledge wanted the 6’8” McGwire.

Two years later in 1993 they used the #2 pick on Rick Mirer. At least they got a 1 back in trade for him from Chicago.

So in 5 years they spent three #1s and two additional draft picks on three QBs who all together sucked major ass.

This might be one of the reasons a lot of us old guard Seahawks fans fear the over drafting of QBs.

The best QBs in Seahawks history:
Russell Wilson 3rd pick

Matt Hasselbeck late round trade.
Took Seahawks to a Super Bowl

Warren Moon free agent. Really wish they could have gotten him straight from the CFL instead of Houston.

Dave Krieg UDFA

Jim Zorn UDFA to the Cowboys. Released and signed to the Seahawks.

Jon Kitna UDFA I had to include him because we are both CWU alums!

Last edited:

NoGain

Reaction score
In 1988 the Seahawks traded three picks including their first round choice along with two additional picks to the St Louis Cardinals for QB Kelly Stouffer. He was on the Seahawks roster for four years. He passed for a total of 2333 yards and had a 7-19 TD/INT ratio.

In 1991 they used the #16 pick overall on QB Dan McGwire. Could have had Favre who went in the 2nd round but ******* Ken over Behring and his vast football knowledge wanted the 6’8” McGwire.

Two years later in 1993 they used the #2 pick on Rick Mirer. At least they got a 1 back in trade for him from Chicago.

So in 5 years they spent three #1s and two additional draft picks on three QBs who all together sucked major ass.

This might be one of the reasons a lot of us old guard Seahawks fans fear the over drafting of QBs.

The best QBs in Seahawks history:
Russell Wilson 3rd pick

Warren Moon free agent. Really wish they could have gotten him straight from the CFL instead of Houston.

Dave Krieg UDFA

Jim Zorn UDFA to the Cowboys. Released and signed to the Seahawks.

Jon Kitna UDFA I had to include him because we are both CWU alums!
Yeah, but maybe we just sucked at evaluating QB talent in the draft. LOL

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Huh. During that time, we've been one of the better teams at finding QBs outside of the first round.

NoGain

Reaction score
I like Geno, and think he's a decent middle of the pack bridge QB until we potentially find a young QBOTF. I think that's a fair assessment for a journeyman QB who's going to be 34 years old this year, and probably how most fair-minded observers view him.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
You guys all talk as if our current starter isn't the all time single season passing leader in team history.

I know, "Geno sucks" and to a large crowd this is true despite all evidence.
Way to take a thread about 31 years of draft history and try to make it Geno Geno Geno!

NoGain

Reaction score
If it’s a list you want, see my post an hour ago
I'm sorry, I was referring to QB's we actually drafted outside the 1st or 2nd round. RW was obviously the best. And I agree that Zorn and Krieg were solid pick ups. But this leans a bit toward the ancient history side of things, with the exception of RW.

As far as getting QB's through trade, the trade for Hasselbeck was tremendous value in hindsight.

Anyway...

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I wonder if Behring ever looked back at that moment with regret.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
2018 - Alex McGough 7th Round
2012 - Russell Wilson 3rd Round
2009 - Mike Teel - 6th Round
2005 - David Greene 3rd Round
2003 - Seneca Wallace - 4th Round
2002 - Jeff Kelly 7th Round
2001 - Josh Booty 6th Round
1999 - Brock Huard 3rd Round
1993 - Rick Mirer 1st Round
1991 - Dan McGwire 1st Round
1990 - John Gromos - 12th Round
1986 - David Norrie - 11th Round

That is as far back as I can go without actually vomiting sorry

xray

Reaction score
That's hilarious . And yet there some folks that say don't rush it , cuz we got Geno . ;)