Schneider to speak to media 11am PST today

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
So how does his “contractual” authority over coordinators effect his choice of a coach and a coach‘s choice to take the job?

BTW I don’t dislike JS but since it is nearly impossible as a fan to know which decisions were whose I am simply going to judge him by what he does going forward starting at zero.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It’s now been two days since the Carroll regime ended. There are lots of questions surrounding parameters and the directions the team will take in their search for a new HC. Questions were being posed and the void was filled by JS.

He’s now the man, and it’s his time to make the final decisions, he said that and gave some clues of the direction of his search, I thought he was fine in his delivery and his usual somewhat understated self.

He is is a smart personnel man, he knows the direction he wants this team to move in. He sees some talent already here but has HiS ideas as to what the team needs. I believe he will do a great job, sorting out the problems we’ve seen arise here over the past few years, while keeping the great parts of the organization he shaped with PC.

It’s hard not to notice there are several style criticisms of him here, and his delivery. He’s JS not PC and we know he knew he just needed to step forward and occupy the empty space to set out in his own style which doesn’t impart a huge amount of grindage in term of raw info but we know it’s now his show, and some raw parameters of the direction(s) the team will take in finding a new HC. WE ALSO KNOW there was a perceived underperformance this season and that change was needed. Change is coming. Get used to His style which is far more understated than that of PC.

It’s going to be a big job and there is a lot to do. Unlike some others here I truly think he’s already demonstrated he’s up to the task.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Meanwhile we need to think on the idea that this change is very recent, and finding the right guy(s), is a process that will take longer than a drive through fast food style mentality.

Whether it’s an offensive focused, or defensive focused new HC, there are league rules as to this selection process, and care will be required to to taken.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It’s now been two days since the Carroll regime ended. There are lots of questions surrounding parameters and the directions the team will take in their search for a new HC. Questions were being posed and the void was filled by JS.

He’s now the man, and it’s his time to make the final decisions, he said that and gave some clues of the direction of his search, I thought he was fine in his delivery and his usual somewhat understated self.

He is is a smart personnel man, he knows the direction he wants this team to move in. He sees some talent already here but has HiS ideas as to what the team needs. I believe he will do a great job, sorting out the problems we’ve seen arise here over the past few years, while keeping the great parts of the organization he shaped with PC.

It’s hard not to notice there are several style criticisms of him here, and his delivery. He’s JS not PC and we know he knew he just needed to step forward and occupy the empty space to set out in his own style which doesn’t impart a huge amount of grindage in term of raw info but we know it’s now his show, and some raw parameters of the direction(s) the team will take in finding a new HC. WE ALSO KNOW there was a perceived underperformance this season and that change was needed. Change is coming. Get used to His style which is far more understated than that of PC.

It’s going to be a big job and there is a lot to do. Unlike some others here I truly think he’s already demonstrated he’s up to the task.
It sounds like you are absolving him of any responsibility for drafting, trading and signing of free agents. The vast overpay for Adams, the loss of a 2nd rounder in this draft for either a 1 year rental or high priced new contract, the failure to draft a QB etc etc. ?
because that is how it sounds. Nothing that has happened good or bad is “his vision”? just that of PC who is texting him constantly right now? (Per ESPN)

again I am starting from zero with him with no pedestal and no hole. I don’t think that having PC whispering in his ear is a good thing for anybody but friends of Pete.

James in PA

Reaction score
John may have tipped his hand that he's leaning towards a guy with an offensive background. If you have a defensive HC with a great OC, that OC is going to get plucked right away by another team for their head coaching gig. Changing OC's can really screw up a young QB's development. He used Alex Smith back in the day as an example. Stroud might regress when another team plucks Slowik in the coming weeks. Gotta go offense. Makes sense given John's Green Bay roots.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It sounds like you are absolving him of any responsibility for drafting, trading and signing of free agents. The vast overpay for Adams, the loss of a 2nd rounder in this draft for either a 1 year rental or high priced new contract, the failure to draft a QB etc etc. ?
because that is how it sounds. Nothing that has happened good or bad is “his vision”? just that of PC who is texting him constantly right now? (Per ESPN)

again I am starting from zero with him with no pedestal and no hole. I don’t think that having PC whispering in his ear is a good thing for anybody but friends of Pete.
Jay makes a good point here about the delineation of responsibility. John was almost certainly both involved and approving of the majority of the poor decisions this franchise has made.

We can't absolve John of that fully just because Pete was tops on the org chart. It doesn't track with everything we know about how that pair operated. John shoulders that blame too.

Fade

Reaction score
A little late, but this was an amazing presser!

My key takeaways:

-Acknowledged hiring a non offensive playcalling coach creates issues with continuity and is rough on the QB. John references Alex Smith's situation in SF, and how that screwed him up.

The large amount of DC interviews are more likely about building connects for when they hire their young offensive coach and need to get him a DC. And to gather intel of course. At least I hope this is the case. What is acknowledged by John himself needs to be applied here.

-Fully acknowledged they underachieved as a whole (Protected Pete). So the folks out there that are cool with 54% winning percentage and early playoff exits--this is not acceptable to the Seahawks. This is a good thing!

-Stagnate. Keeping a coach longer than 10 years is not smart. (If given truth serum, the Seahawks would admit they hung on to Pete for far too long. Otherwise, why would John reference this in his opening statement? John wasn't asked this, he just said it. Very telling.)

-John confirmed he now finally has full roster power. (Referenced by Pete in his final presser that the power was transferred, but now have full confirmation here.)

-John is leading the HC search, and will have power over the coaching staff. (So now if a bad DC is hired for example. John has the power to fire that guy. Big improvement over how they were doing it before.)

-John has a boner for Mike McCarthy, brought him up several times at different points. Let us all hope he doesn't end up here, the guy is the offensive version of Pete Carroll, a relic of his time.

-John thinks the team is young, talented, and right on the cusp. (I agree, coaching was the problem. They stagnated and fell behind the rest of the league.)

-John & Pete presented their own thoughts/plans separately to Jody. "Jody understood" -John's words.

-Pete's "advisory" role was asked to John. John has no idea what it will be, and is just excited to move forward. (Pete was fired, and he has no real role with the team going forward, confirmed again.)

-References the Seahawks HC position is a very desired job around the league. (Geographical biases aside. It could be easily argued Seattle is the best job available right now.)

-Kept it real with Geno. Started fast last year, and then faded. Started slow this year, and finished strong. No big seal of approval, or declarative statements. I personally think, they will keep him on as a bridge, but it will be interesting to see if they do anything with his contract.

The future is bright!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
And from the ESPN article

"I look forward to being able to call Pete and text him. He's already texting me like crazy all the time, like, 'Hey, Johnny, what's going on with this and that?'"

thoughts?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was talking about the press conference. Come on, man, I didn't say, "Nothing about John inspires confidence."
Fair enough. It's a press conference from someone who doesn't do pressers on his own. Very rare.

Crap, Fade liked the presser. I take it back, we're screwed.............book it! :LOL: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
And from the ESPN article

"I look forward to being able to call Pete and text him. He's already texting me like crazy all the time, like, 'Hey, Johnny, what's going on with this and that?'"

thoughts?
Pete and John having a good relationship is a good thing. You don't want to end eras with hatred. It speaks to the fact that they were always comfortable collaborating.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I am sure I am undervaluing those relationships. And I’m probably undervaluing culture. And maybe overvaluing post season success but that is why I have wanted a change for so long.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Serious?
The culture of 2023 was not in the same universe as the culture of 2013. I don’t think it was even close.
Yeah I agree. The overall culture was maybe the same, in the sense how PC sets up the culture, but in the locker room, much different because in the later years, less and less players bought into the culture. In '13, everyone from the top down to the bottom totally bought in.

strohmin

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. The overall culture was maybe the same, in the sense how PC sets up the culture, but in the locker room, much different because in the later years, less and less players bought into the culture. In '13, everyone from the top down to the bottom totally bought in.
I think the culture was more a result of players lile Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin who actually cared only about winning and were very vocal that it rubbed off on the rest of the team. Then you had Marshawn Lynch who gave it his all on every play. Without thia Petes culture is basically one of no axxountabiity.

chris98251

Reaction score
A little late, but this was an amazing presser!

My key takeaways:

-Acknowledged hiring a non offensive playcalling coach creates issues with continuity and is rough on the QB. John references Alex Smith's situation in SF, and how that screwed him up.

The large amount of DC interviews are more likely about building connects for when they hire their young offensive coach and need to get him a DC. And to gather intel of course. At least I hope this is the case. What is acknowledged by John himself needs to be applied here.

-Fully acknowledged they underachieved as a whole (Protected Pete). So the folks out there that are cool with 54% winning percentage and early playoff exits--this is not acceptable to the Seahawks. This is a good thing!

-Stagnate. Keeping a coach longer than 10 years is not smart. (If given truth serum, the Seahawks would admit they hung on to Pete for far too long. Otherwise, why would John reference this in his opening statement? John wasn't asked this, he just said it. Very telling.)

-John confirmed he now finally has full roster power. (Referenced by Pete in his final presser that the power was transferred, but now have full confirmation here.)

-John is leading the HC search, and will have power over the coaching staff. (So now if a bad DC is hired for example. John has the power to fire that guy. Big improvement over how they were doing it before.)

-John has a boner for Mike McCarthy, brought him up several times at different points. Let us all hope he doesn't end up here, the guy is the offensive version of Pete Carroll, a relic of his time.

-John thinks the team is young, talented, and right on the cusp. (I agree, coaching was the problem. They stagnated and fell behind the rest of the league.)

-John & Pete presented their own thoughts/plans separately to Jody. "Jody understood" -John's words.

-Pete's "advisory" role was asked to John. John has no idea what it will be, and is just excited to move forward. (Pete was fired, and he has no real role with the team going forward, confirmed again.)

-References the Seahawks HC position is a very desired job around the league. (Geographical biases aside. It could be easily argued Seattle is the best job available right now.)

-Kept it real with Geno. Started fast last year, and then faded. Started slow this year, and finished strong. No big seal of approval, or declarative statements. I personally think, they will keep him on as a bridge, but it will be interesting to see if they do anything with his contract.

The future is bright!
I think the whole Alex Smith thing is about changing coordinators 3 times and having no consistency or real vision about where they were going. Not McCarthy.

jammerhawk

Reaction score

Absolving him?

Not at all, but this a new situation. The past is the past, and it was time to move from the 'blame' that surrounded a few of these in the end very poor decisions, and from the Pete way of getting things done. I suspect we will see a more conventional less flamboyant GM style from him as that is his background.

Perhaps we will find that JS in fact had more say in these decisions like Adams or Harvin or that McDowell they drafted that didn't play a down for the team after he cracked his coconut urban ATV riding, or perhaps not. In the end no GM is perfect, and they all make clangers that make you wince at times.

Perhaps you'd like him to be gone, I don't, and want to see what he can do out from Carroll's shadow. i think he has demonstrated some legit personnel ability.

For him it's a fresh start in my book.

Last edited:

Latest posts