Pete to LA Chargers?

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
As of right now, it's just a rumor.

"However, regardless of whether Harbaugh and the Chargers come to terms on a contract that makes him the next head coach of the team, according to a report from Pro Football Talk, a familiar rival is lurking behind the scenes and making a push to potentially steal the job. Specifically, PFT reports that,

Earlier today, we heard that former Seahawks coach Pete Carroll is making a behind-the-scenes push for consideration.

What exactly that means for the Chargers, Carroll and Harbaugh remains to be seen, but the two are no stranger to one another, dating back to their time as coaches in both the PAC-10 and the NFC West."

Torc

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Pete, and whatever the opposite of a huge fan is for Harbaugh.....but I can't imagine the chargers picking a 72 year old, no matter how young he acts, over a guy who still has 15 or more years of career ahead of him.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I do get the appeal from both sides, it it were to happen.

Just because Pete got stale here doesn't mean he isn't an excellent NFL Head Coach. Even approaching his mid-70s he's a great candidate for any organization looking for a culture change and to inject some winner dna into loser organizations. Pete has shown that his floor as a HC is 7 wins, regardless of the level of talent he has on his team, more often than not puts a winning product on the field , and I think that floor is raised considerably with Justin Herbert.

Pete already put that Harbaugh pelt on his wall and vanquished him to the minors.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I like the Chargers. One of the non-Seahawks teams I tend to root for if they don't affect us adversely. It would be a lot easier to root for them even harder if Pete was their coach instead of that knucklehead. However, that knucklehead will probably get the Chargers into contention finally.

knownone

Reaction score
If Snoop Dog is to be believed, the Chargers are the only team Pete is interested in coaching.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Just don't see it. Not enough sand in the hourglass.

If Pete wants to (head) coach again, I think it will be at a D1 program that needs a spark to sell some tickets.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is a perfect hire for LA if Jim wants too much latitude/money/whatever.

Pete is an LA legend who will get asses in seats for a floundering franchise in a city apathetic to their existence. He's also a proven quarterback elevator, which Herbert will need.

They'll have an outside shot at contention and Pete will be in a scenario where he isn't beholden to anyone by loyalty. He'll be free to tear the roster up, which is when he's at his best.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Pete would make them an instant winner with a great culture that is much needed there. However Jim is who they want.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hirer Both and see if they can work together, wouldn't that be something, Jim offense and Pete defensive head coaches.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Do we get anything if they hire Pete, since he is an advisor in the front office. 🤣

Somos doces

Reaction score
To me, citing "we heard" as a source doesn't lend much credibility to a rumor — in fact, just the opposite.

That said, it would not surprise me if someone in the Chargers' organization did say this to a trusted media contact, to try and get the team into a slightly better bargaining position against Harbaugh.