Make No Mistake, Wilson Sucked, But He is NOT the Concern

AgentDib

Reaction score
Posting that Adams clip indicates that you are either unaware that he couldn't use his right arm due to the shoulder injury, or that you know and don't care about the details if it furthers your agenda.

Sgt Largent":21fxp0ua said:
If you can't see that the only thing that's changed the past three weeks for our offense is the absence of a run threat, then idk what to tell you.
The impact of no running threat and poor defense is huge because it means that we can't win games where Russ isn't good by his own standards, and those are inevitable. I don't have an issue with apportioning blame to the lack of a running game and the defense, but assuming a causative link between them and Russ having a bad day does not fit what we saw on the field. He missed hot routes, took bad sacks, threw late, tried to pick up that fumble instead of falling on it, and was generally inaccurate (compared to himself).

My argument is that you are not considering the variations of player performance when you claim that little has changed besides the Carson injury. Imagine that you could evaluate every one of Russ's performances and then plot a distribution based on how well he personally played against his own average. It would look something like the following:

8QB2V9f

Most of the time, Russ plays within a standard deviation of his own performance mean. However, like any human he will also have occasional games where he is +/- multiple standard deviations as a basic fact of Statistics 101. It's a fundamental concept that 10% of his games will involve Russ at his 10th percentile low. Those are going to be very tough/impossible for the Seahawks to win due to the other factors outlined, and sometimes it really can be as simple as our key player having an off game.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Fade":2yazhqiy said:
You're confusing the Rams taking their foot off the gas, with the Seahawks playing better. Though, they will get better statistically with the tomato cans lined up (NFC EAST). It will be a mirage, they will show their true colors in the playoffs, which pains me to say because this year was supposed to be different. It is a coaching, and development issue that will not be fixed until a restructure of how they do things changes. ]

I'm not basing my evaluation on how they did toward the end of the game. They have exceeded the very low bar that they set for themselves.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Before I get accused of being a "Russ hater," there is still no one I would rather have at the helm with this team than, maybe Mahomes, and that is a huge maybe.

Mahomes doesn't look as good on this team as he does in KC, and there is a good chance he doesn't look as good as Russ. I don't think Russ would look as good in KC as Mahomes does, FWIW. I do think Mahomes is the better QB, but given the way the Hawks are built, Russ is the better QB for us.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":vyqzylf8 said:
It's not a coincidence that Russell was seeing a lot of zone until Carson went out in the Arizona game, now it's been 100% press man, stack the box and send blitzers to hit and harass Russ. Two high safeties and 8 men in and around the box cutting off all short and intermediate passing routes.

Why? Because there's no threat of play action to take the top off the defense........and why isn't there a threat of no play action? Because there's no threat of a run game.

You watch, as soon as Carson's back, Russell will magically be back to himself. Until then, expect more of what we've seen the past 2-3 weeks, not less.

100% TRUTH.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":1hp1j7th said:
My argument is that you are not considering the variations of player performance when you claim that little has changed besides the Carson injury. Imagine that you could evaluate every one of Russ's performances and then plot a distribution based on how well he personally played against his own average. It would look something like the following:

The only difference between our opinions is you think these two things are mutually exclusive, and I'm saying they're interconnected.

Because that's how you analyze a complex problem, you dissect all of it's parts. In this case Russell struggling is not analyzed in a vacuum, there are outside issues that are heavily contributing to it, like no Carson and the run game making every other aspect of the offense more predictable which begets the defenses seeing that one dimensional change, and thus scheming accordingly.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Aros":2c7bgfho said:
Sgt. Largent":2c7bgfho said:
It's not a coincidence that Russell was seeing a lot of zone until Carson went out in the Arizona game, now it's been 100% press man, stack the box and send blitzers to hit and harass Russ. Two high safeties and 8 men in and around the box cutting off all short and intermediate passing routes.

Why? Because there's no threat of play action to take the top off the defense........and why isn't there a threat of no play action? Because there's no threat of a run game.

You watch, as soon as Carson's back, Russell will magically be back to himself. Until then, expect more of what we've seen the past 2-3 weeks, not less.

100% TRUTH.

Yup agreed with this. This is why Pete stresses a balanced attack. The pass-happy style offense only works against bad defenses with no pass rush and bad secondaries like ours... Be one dimensional against good defenses like the Rams have, and get smacked in the mouth 9 times out of 10.

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":vtvjgdxy said:
Wilson had a bad game, his worst in a really long time. I saw a defeated player on the bench. Like they didn't have the answers. And they played like they didn't have any answers after the 1st possession.

The defense has been so bad, Wilson has been pressing and forcing throws he normally wouldn't.

The last 1.5 seasons I've been thoroughly impressed with how he has been able to carry such a flawed team and not even flinch. He's starting to flinch. He is actually human. But he will bounce back though, I am not concerned with Wilson.

I am concerned with the old man who built the worst defense in NFL history with multiple pro bowlers & all pros, $60M in in available cap space, Three 1st Rd picks, a 2nd Rd pick, and an additional 3rd Rd pick in this off-season. They expunged a gargantuan amount of assets to build… THIS!? And Pete has shown no signs of improving for 5+ seasons. They've literally gotten worse every single season for 7 seasons on defense, never improving once. They can't even go say, 27th to 22nd. They are going for the record this year, no pu$$y around and falling to only 30th. NOPE! not only 32nd, but the worst 32nd of all-time.

The final score does not reflect how much the Rams totally eviscerated and entirely destroyed the Seahawks. The Rams took their foot off the gas because they didn't need to score anymore. Why risk a Goof turnover, that would've been the only way the Seahawks had a chance. It wasn't like the Seahawks were going to do anything offensively.

McVay is playing chess, Pete is playing checkers. That is what is concerning. The coaches in the division are all way younger and ahead of the curve. Pete's scheme was figured out years ago.

OMG... your going to blame Wilsons poor play on the D? Figures...

I can't even read this crap it just takes all the fun out of the game...I look forward to watching football on Sundays...but the negativity on this board is so overwhelming it just sucks any enjoyment I have right into the gutter... f@ck this... the most fickle fans in the NFL...

LTH

LTH

John63

Reaction score
Aros":1ppovz2f said:
Sgt. Largent":1ppovz2f said:

100% TRUTH.

HMm could be to bad most good coaches know how to adapt for this issue. if only we had a GOOD coach.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":3cat2qmc said:
Aros":3cat2qmc said:
Sgt. Largent":3cat2qmc said:

100% TRUTH.

HMm could be to bad most good coaches know how to adapt for this issue. if only we had a GOOD coach.

For the first 5-6 weeks Russell was MVP, Pete was a genius for letting Russell finally cook and Schotty was in line for head coaching jobs next year.

Now it's all their fault? Your refusal to see other factors that have contributed over the past 3-4 weeks that have let to the offense struggling is confusing.

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1402o2eh said:
John63":1402o2eh said:
Aros":1402o2eh said:
Sgt. Largent":1402o2eh said:

100% TRUTH.

For the first 5-6 weeks Russell was MVP, Pete was a genius for letting Russell finally cook and Schotty was in line for head coaching jobs next year.

Now it's all their fault? Your refusal to see other factors that have contributed over the past 3-4 weeks that have let to the offense struggling is confusing.

I did not say all their fault I did say if as that person said this was about play action not working due to no RBs that a GOD coach would adapt. The coach has one job put in a game plan that works if it does not adapt to one that will. sorry but I put most, not all, but most of this on Coaching. Your need to always defend the coaches at all cost and make sure they take no blame at all is hilarious though. Add to the fact they have changed the system from games 1-5 to current, notice no roll outs, no quick passing, no screens, no uptempo, no snapping the ball at different times. They did what they always do, reverted back to same old, That si coaching.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":vqcmhik8 said:
. They did what they always do, reverted back to same old, That si coaching.

The same old is running the football and relying on Russell making 2-3 explosive plays per game using play action.

That's not what's going on, what's going on is they're NOT reverting back, they're trying to use the same depend on Russell's cooking to bail us out of bad defensive games by playing perfect. Except now there's no run game to keep the defenses honest, so Russell's dropping back 40 times a game, getting hammered, sacked and turning the ball over uncharacteristically.

So again we're both saying the same thing, except differently. The scheme, playcalling and in game adjustments have been terrible. Expecting Russell to play lights out perfectly game in and game out without changing the gameplans and playcalling because you no longer have a run game is not a good recipe for success.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Our defense has been bad to horrible for a couple years. It's just now that we're finally seeing the results of expecting Russell to bail us out someway, somehow. I (we) knew this would catch up with us eventually. Not pursuing a legit pass rusher in the last two years and THEN letting the only player resembling one (Clowney) walk was irresponsible. Sure we picked up Irvin and Mayowa but comeon man.
Sooner rather than later father time is going to catch up with our QB. He's going to need more help as, like all of us, he's not going to be as fast as flexible and elusive as he is now. Compare his athletism today to 5 years ago. Yes, there is a decline. Each year from now on he'll deteriorate athletically. He'll still be great but father time will take his toll.
I refuse to believe that there is not enough talent on our D to at least be mediocre. IMO, bring in a D coach LIKE Wade Phillips and I believe you'd see a change for the better.

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1brnkh3c said:
John63":1brnkh3c said:

The same old is running the football and relying on Russell making 2-3 explosive plays per game using play action.

That's not what's going on, what's going on is they're NOT reverting back, they're trying to use the same depend on Russell's cooking to bail us out of bad defensive games by playing perfect. Except now there's no run game to keep the defenses honest, so Russell's dropping back 40 times a game, getting hammered, sacked and turning the ball over uncharacteristically.

So again we're both saying the same thing, except differently. The scheme, playcalling and in game adjustments have been terrible. Expecting Russell to play lights out perfectly game in and game out without changing the gameplans and playcalling because you no longer have a run game is not a good recipe for success.

okay I can see we are saying the same thing but different ways cool

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
And that is what scares me most. We are WASTING Russell's PRIME YEARS. He deserves better coaching and scheming. Yes Russ is human and makes mistakes from time-to-time (some of his INTs lately have been shockingly bad for someone of his caliber) but this is a systematic failure around him that creates the bulk of this "slump" Russ is in at the moment.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. It just feels like their lack of adjusting in game is a huge issue. On both offense AND defense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":3mg67h9f said:
And that is what scares me most. We are WASTING Russell's PRIME YEARS. He deserves better coaching and scheming. Yes Russ is human and makes mistakes from time-to-time (some of his INTs lately have been shockingly bad for someone of his caliber) but this is a systematic failure around him that creates the bulk of this "slump" Russ is in at the moment.

How can we be wasting Russell's prime years when he was the MVP frontrunner up until three games ago, and he's well on his way to the Hall of Fame?

I think some of you guys are overreacting here. This is the NFL, you're not suppose to win every game, or go to the Superbowl every year. The entire league is set up to PREVENT just that.

You were just saying three weeks ago Aros that you thought we were going 16-0 and headed to the SB, now we're wasting Russell's prime years? Find a happy medium my friend.

Season's are full of ups and downs, this is the down. We win tomorrow night and we have one of the easiest schedules left in the entire league, and hopefully will get healthy to make a serious run.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This season is SO far from being over. Maybe I'm just an overly positive homer, and I don't care.
But I still think they are not only playoff bound but can do some damage. And my confidence in Russ hasn't wavered one bit.
MY opinion, and it doesn't make me stupid and/or clueless.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Aros":2xr5dc96 said:
Sgt. Largent":2xr5dc96 said:

100% TRUTH.

100% False.

Teams are playing a lot of 2 high or 3 deep zone to take away the deep ball, with their best corner man'd up on DK. Teams are daring the Seahawks to dink and dunk. It worked on the first series against the Rams, then they went away from it.

So they are not see 100% press man.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kwd8jhk said:
John63":2kwd8jhk said:

Sarge and A Dib make great points..
I agree and enjoy you guys in this one.
:irishdrinkers: