One game does not make a great D

seabowl

Reaction score
Look, I loved what I saw last night from the defense. They were flying around and absolutely destroyed the Giants offense.

With this said, let’s remember the Giants lost 40–0 to the Cowboys in week one and were completely destroyed. Their offensive line is in shambles, and they do not have the skill players to overcome. Before we say this defense has turned the corner, I will need to see more of this in the next number of weeks.

Again, great showing last night, but have we forgotten what has going on with this defense for the last five years with just one great performance against a truly terrible offense?

LastRideOut

Reaction score
We know that.

But I also think it's perfectly fine to enjoy this win. We can't control who the Seahawks play.

Not everything has come with an asterisk. Sometimes, it's OK to just enjoy the fact the defense got 11 sacks and pressured D. Jones all night long.

Remind me again how many sacks the vaunted Niners defense got against the Giants?

keasley45

Reaction score
11 sacks. There are terrible teams that play every week. Horrible teams. The Giants played arguably thr best team in the league last week in their house and didn't give up 11 sacks.

Sure. The defense isn't 'great'. It's a long season and they've started off with some obvious areas that need improvement.

But this defense was supposed to be weak against the run because we didn't get J Carter. That hasn't been the case.

It was supposed to be low on talent and we have obvious skill oozing across the board.

Witherspoon was supposed to have been a reach, but there are 31 other teams who would likely kill to have him on their squad right now.

And... for all the credit given to the Giants for having injuries, we again had no Adams, no Tre Brown, no Coby Bryant and we are still missing a key rotational piece on the D line in Mone.

So sure, the Giants are hamstrung. But what we aren't exactly full strength on defense or offense.

And about the offense... the defense's performance would have been even stronger had we not been down 60% of our starting offensive line. We gave the Giants more opportunities than they would have had otherwise and all that did was pad our sack stats.

Pete's defenses are predicated as much on chemistry, and emotional energy as xs and os. In the past, we've lacked both. From the looks of it, we are clearly back on things when it comes to chemistry and energy. The run D has been solid for a quarter of the season now, and the pass D will for the first time all year be at full strength following the bye.

Caveat the performance if you'd like. Just as easy to claim we've been adequate while far from complete so far.

And we are 3-1.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
We know that.

But I also think it's perfectly fine to enjoy this win. We can't control who the Seahawks play.

Not everything has come with an asterisk. Sometimes, it's OK to just enjoy the fact the defense got 11 sacks and pressured D. Jones all night long.

Remind me again how many sacks the vaunted Niners defense got against the Giants?
My point was that it was just as much of the Giants offense being horrible as it was the Seahawks being great. The Giants missing 80% of their offensive line, while having Barkley out would make them one of the worst offenses in the league. I am a realist, and I’m not buying into this defense turning the corner as of yet.

Hawknight

Reaction score
11 sacks is nice..BUT...there were a lot of missed tackles, we got gashed up the middle and on the sidelines..I think we play that way against the Niners...we look like the Miami/Broncos game. There's ALOT of cleaning up to do tackling wise and especially not letting the QB run up the field on us.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
11 sacks. There are terrible teams that play every week. Horrible teams. The Giants played arguably thr best team in the league last week in their house and didn't give up 11 sacks.

Sure. The defense isn't 'great'. It's a long season and they've started off with some obvious areas that need improvement.

But this defense was supposed to be weak against the run because we didn't get J Carter. That hasn't been the case.

It was supposed to be low on talent and we have obvious skill oozing across the board.

Witherspoon was supposed to have been a reach, but there are 31 other teams who would likely kill to have him on their squad right now.

And... for all the credit given to the Giants for having injuries, we again had no Adams, no Tre Brown, no Coby Bryant and we are still missing a key rotational piece on the D line in Mone.

So sure, the Giants are hamstrung. But what we aren't exactly full strength on defense or offense.

And about the offense... the defense's performance would have been even stronger had we not been down 60% of our starting offensive line. We gave the Giants more opportunities than they would have had otherwise and all that did was pad our sack stats.

Pete's defenses are predicated as much on chemistry, and emotional energy as xs and os. In the past, we've lacked both. From the looks of it, we are clearly back on things when it comes to chemistry and energy. The run D has been solid for a quarter of the season now, and the pass D will for the first time all year be at full strength following the bye.

Caveat the performance if you'd like. Just as easy to claim we've been adequate while far from complete so far.

And we are 3-1.
Seahawks give up in the first three weeks:

Rams 30
Lions 31
Panthers 27

Again, great performance last night, but let’s pump the brakes folks

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
We don't need a "great" D to win. Thing is though, when a defense has a performance like that, it feeds them. I don't have any illusions that we're "top ten" after last night, but I have to believe they have taken a step forward.

We have a bye, and should have Adams back by the time we have to play again. This defense has improved every week.

While Pete's teams have been known not to adjust offensively, they have been better on the other side of the ball within a season. I expect them to keep improving and be near the top of the middle of the pack by the time we finish the season.

Hell if I'm not mistaken, the "LOB" when we won it all, was not the best D in the game, but it was enough.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It's the Giants and it was sloppy but 11 sacks and our rookie NT showed out Monet? And Spoon showed EVERYONE in the NFL he will be a factor going forward and why Pete referenced Palomano I have not seen that level of football IQ since him or Richard Sherman or Ed Reed. I may want to move on from Pete but he does know secondary talent still.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seattle and any somewhat considered top 10 team, needs, yes, needs, to whallop, the lowly Giants to be honest.

It’s not enough just win, in order to tell the world, how good your team really is to put a drubbing on.

What’s the point in beating one of the worst teams in the league if it it’s not a beatdown and especially if you are considered a better than average team?

You have to win the games you are supposed to win and convincingly.

Seattle, was supposed to win, convincingly.

Seattle’s defense was supposed to destroy the no offense and no offensive line New York Giants.

That’s what was supposed to happen and it did.

Does this game really tell who the Seahawks are? No. But at least Seattle got to tell their players, okay, if you have talent and you train and practice this way, you should beat a team such as the stature of the Giants a certain way!

The defense still needs to continue to play consistently well against better opponents before we may anoint them as a top tier defense. Right now Seattle is getting there but they weren’t exactly measured against a top 10 offense.

But, I’ll still take these defensive results against the Giants, who wouldn’t??!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Can’t we just enjoy the win for a few days without all the “yeah but” stuff? We know the team isn’t perfect.
Sorry sis but honestly until there is a complete change in ownership and HC and possibly GM I'm done being embarrassed by the Rams and miles behind the 49ers. So for me "what if" is here to stay. I see weekly what elite is and we aren't anywhere near it and haven't been for nearly 10 years and no end in sight. And now Purdy is in our division?

I like Geno and Lock definitely showed he's much better but neither get us above 10 wins given the current rules more likely 8-9 wins at best. At least Lock uses JSN correctly I have no idea what Geno is thinking.

Last edited:

SheaD

Reaction score
Sorry sis but honestly until there is a complete change in ownership and HC and possibly GM I'm done being embarrassed by the Rams and miles behind the 49ers.

That's never been the case.

So for me "what if" is here to stay I see weekly what elite is and we aren't anywhere near it and haven't been for nearly 10 years and no end in sight.

If you can't enjoy that game, or the dominance that Seattle has enjoyed over the NFC under Pete and John, you probably should go root for another team. Big facts.

Mick063

Reaction score
Who claimed the defense was "great"?

The talk of the off season was that all they needed, was to be average and the offensive weaponry could carry them.

Personally, I believe they are better than average. If this was all on the Giants, then why didn't Arizona or San Francisco get 11 sacks?

Let's revisit this at mid season where there are enough games sampled to make a legitimate claim.

Last edited:

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score

If you can't enjoy that game, or the dominance that Seattle has enjoyed over the NFC under Pete and John, you probably should go root for another team. Big facts.
She's one of our resident shit posters. Always ready to engage in an heated argument about the team. I'm all for debate, but some forum members make posting a blood sport. I don't think it adds anything worthwhile to the forum...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score

I enjoyed it but it really meant nothing in the final analysis. Until we stop getting embarrassed by the Rams and dominated by the 49ers it just doesn't matter.

bileever

Reaction score
Wow, so much to fact check here in this thread. The Giants started the week as 1.5 point favorites against the Seahawks, and by the end of the week the Seahawks were 1 point favorites. They weren't expected to "destroy" the Giants. Yes, they have trouble on their O-line, but so do we. So I think the defensive performance is significant. The Giants were a playoff team last year, and are not a drastically different team this year. Plus they now have Darren Waller.

If you ask a Giants fan, I think he would tell you that he was shocked by the results last night.

And @SeAhAwKeR4life, yes the LOB was not only the best D in the game, it was a historically great defense.

Hell if I'm not mistaken, the "LOB" when we won it all, was not the best D in the game, but it was enough.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the lack of offensive production last night. Yeah they did enough to win, but it was a really lame performance on the offense really...

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Let me put it this way. Let's say you are having great sex. Your woman is riding you cowgirl style and she's gushing all over you. You suck off her nips at the same time. A great fantastic night. Mind blowing sex.

Afterwards during pillow talk, do you tell her that her long hair hair keeps getting in the way when you suck her nips. Can she ponytail her hair next time? It's always getting in the way. Basically point out all the little niggles, like a negative Nancy does.

Or do you shut the F up because that's how you keep it coming.

Same thing. The D had a great night last night. 11 sacks. It's one of those nights where you shut the F up and enjoy the night.

But but but.....!

Give me a break. Enjoy it.