Make No Mistake, Wilson Sucked, But He is NOT the Concern

John63

Reaction score
Fade":39ksrci5 said:
Aros":39ksrci5 said:
Sgt. Largent":39ksrci5 said:
It's not a coincidence that Russell was seeing a lot of zone until Carson went out in the Arizona game, now it's been 100% press man, stack the box and send blitzers to hit and harass Russ. Two high safeties and 8 men in and around the box cutting off all short and intermediate passing routes.

Why? Because there's no threat of play action to take the top off the defense........and why isn't there a threat of no play action? Because there's no threat of a run game.

You watch, as soon as Carson's back, Russell will magically be back to himself. Until then, expect more of what we've seen the past 2-3 weeks, not less.

100% TRUTH.

100% False.

Teams are playing a lot of 2 high or 3 deep zone to take away the deep ball, with their best corner man'd up on DK. Teams are daring the Seahawks to dink and dunk. It worked on the first series against the Rams, then they went away from it.

So they are not see 100% press man.

and then we went away form it, hmm oh yeah PC hates short passes forgot.

xray

Reaction score
The OL is caving a bunch , but the D as a whole presses Wilson to be a circus QB . IMO

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":do2x5dcn said:
The only difference between our opinions is you think these two things are mutually exclusive, and I'm saying they're interconnected. Because that's how you analyze a complex problem, you dissect all of it's parts. In this case Russell struggling is not analyzed in a vacuum, there are outside issues that are heavily contributing to it, like no Carson and the run game making every other aspect of the offense more predictable which begets the defenses seeing that one dimensional change, and thus scheming accordingly.
You are saying that two things are happening and that there is causation from one to the other. I am saying that causation is possible, but not necessary and did not seem obvious during the game. Russ's mistakes on Sunday did not appear to be caused by either the lack of a running game, or by our poor defense. Rather, they were mistakes on his part that he normally avoids, and can avoid in the future even if we continue to have a poor defense and no running game.

Everybody has lousy games from time to time; look at Tom Brady in week 9 or Aaron Rodgers in week 6. There may be causation, but there may not and if you go hunting for it then you're going to find it whether it exists or not.

xray":do2x5dcn said:
The OL is caving a bunch , but the D as a whole presses Wilson to be a circus QB . IMO
The OL was better than it first appeared. They panicked on Donald a couple of times but four of the five sacks on Wilson were squarely on him.

John63

Reaction score
AgentDib":67xm4oi2 said:
Sgt. Largent":67xm4oi2 said:
The only difference between our opinions is you think these two things are mutually exclusive, and I'm saying they're interconnected. Because that's how you analyze a complex problem, you dissect all of it's parts. In this case Russell struggling is not analyzed in a vacuum, there are outside issues that are heavily contributing to it, like no Carson and the run game making every other aspect of the offense more predictable which begets the defenses seeing that one dimensional change, and thus scheming accordingly.
You are saying that two things are happening and that there is causation from one to the other. I am saying that causation is possible, but not necessary and did not seem obvious during the game. Russ's mistakes on Sunday did not appear to be caused by either the lack of a running game, or by our poor defense. Rather, they were mistakes on his part that he normally avoids, and can avoid in the future even if we continue to have a poor defense and no running game.

Everybody has lousy games from time to time; look at Tom Brady in week 9 or Aaron Rodgers in week 6. There may be causation, but there may not and if you go hunting for it then you're going to find it whether it exists or not.

xray":67xm4oi2 said:
The OL was better than it first appeared. They panicked on Donald a couple of times but four of the five sacks on Wilson were squarely on him.

so I agree with some of what you say but not the 4 or 5 sacks. If you go back Wilson was caught if he stayed put he was getting sacked and there was no throwing lane, if he moved there was a chance he moved, so he tried moving it worked sometimes and did not others. It is easy to say he moved and got sacked so it is on him. The bigger question is would he have gotten sacked staying put. and on most of them he would have. There was 1 I think was on him. the rest he was screwed either way.

Football outsiders.com adjusts for sacks that a QB causes and our oline is ranked 32nd in pass blocking and has the worst adjusted sack rate, that means removing the sacks that are on the QB. For example AZ has more sacks given up than up but are 17 spots higher on adjusted rank because more of those sacks are on the QB.

Also keep in mind this is just based on sacks, lets no forget hits, hurries and pressures which also have a cumulative affect. Since Wilson has been here he is the most hit, hurried, sacked and pressured QB in the league, and it has an effect over time. IN this case I also strongly believe they made changes to the offense around game. Less quick passing, more snapping late in the clock, fewer screens more long developing routes.

I also believe Wilson is pressing.

You take those 3 things together and you have what we have had to deal with. Answers?

Simple go back to quick passing attack takes care of the forst 2 issues.

Tell Wilson to just do what he does and stop trying to do to much.

there you go.

DO I except that....no PC hates the short passing game. We did it before in 2015 when our RBs went down. Wilson went on a run we beat everyone. As soon as RBs came back he went back to the old way.

I do hope I am wrong we will see.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2befu4qz said:
Fade":2befu4qz said:
You're confusing the Rams taking their foot off the gas, with the Seahawks playing better. Though, they will get better statistically with the tomato cans lined up (NFC EAST). It will be a mirage, they will show their true colors in the playoffs, which pains me to say because this year was supposed to be different. It is a coaching, and development issue that will not be fixed until a restructure of how they do things changes. ]

I'm not basing my evaluation on how they did toward the end of the game. They have exceeded the very low bar that they set for themselves.

Cough, cough. Ahem

bigskydoc

Reaction score
And to all of you talking about wasting Wilson's career, this is not wasting a career.

What the Lions have done to Stafford is wasting a career.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
Look at the difference a competent running game makes for this offense and keeping sustained drives and not turning the ball over. That's why I didn't jump off the bandwagon!