One game does not make a great D

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Fair enough I'm sorry if I seem angry but I believe we shouldn't be in 3rd place ever we should own the 49ers and Rams always we should dominate the NFCW.
We'll get another crack at the Rams and hopefully play significantly better across the board. After 4 weeks, being 3-1, headed into the bye, and coming off of a stellar defensive performance by the team and the coaches people have every reason to be highly optimistic.

NY Hawk

Reaction score
Look, I loved what I saw last night from the defense. They were flying around and absolutely destroyed the Giants offense.

With this said, let’s remember the Giants lost 40–0 to the Cowboys in week one and were completely destroyed. Their offensive line is in shambles, and they do not have the skill players to overcome. Before we say this defense has turned the corner, I will need to see more of this in the next number of weeks.

Again, great showing last night, but have we forgotten what has going on with this defense for the last five years with just one great performance against a truly terrible offense?
I agree, they were giving up 30 points a game and 300 yards passing every game.

SheaD

Reaction score
I figured you would know and likely understand my point and figure out the sunshine site called me a shit poster. Most of them have no clue about really bad....yet.

Season ticket holder since before you were born probably. I just don't put up with pessimistic bullshit especially when the person espousing the bullshit seems off their rocker. Come back to reality, lady.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
11 sacks. There are terrible teams that play every week. Horrible teams. The Giants played arguably thr best team in the league last week in their house and didn't give up 11 sacks.

Sure. The defense isn't 'great'. It's a long season and they've started off with some obvious areas that need improvement.

But this defense was supposed to be weak against the run because we didn't get J Carter. That hasn't been the case.

It was supposed to be low on talent and we have obvious skill oozing across the board.

Witherspoon was supposed to have been a reach, but there are 31 other teams who would likely kill to have him on their squad right now.

And... for all the credit given to the Giants for having injuries, we again had no Adams, no Tre Brown, no Coby Bryant and we are still missing a key rotational piece on the D line in Mone.

So sure, the Giants are hamstrung. But what we aren't exactly full strength on defense or offense.

And about the offense... the defense's performance would have been even stronger had we not been down 60% of our starting offensive line. We gave the Giants more opportunities than they would have had otherwise and all that did was pad our sack stats.

Pete's defenses are predicated as much on chemistry, and emotional energy as xs and os. In the past, we've lacked both. From the looks of it, we are clearly back on things when it comes to chemistry and energy. The run D has been solid for a quarter of the season now, and the pass D will for the first time all year be at full strength following the bye.

Caveat the performance if you'd like. Just as easy to claim we've been adequate while far from complete so far.

And we are 3-1.
Nice post. Spot on as far as I'm concerned.

And as I mention, literally every single time the issue comes up: F Carter. So in the rearview.

evergreen

Reaction score
There’s two sides to this. Our O line had five guys not starters in there. We lost our starting qb before the half. We had a four penalty in a row drive. Those things don’t lead to defensive beat downs. But yet it was a major beat down.

toffee

Reaction score
One game does not make a great D.
Great D always announces its arrival in one game.

LTH

Reaction score
Seahawks give up in the first three weeks:

Rams 30
Lions 31
Panthers 27

Again, great performance last night, but let’s pump the brakes folks
The problem I have with your point is that we have seen steady improvement. With this D. Every week they are building and a little bit better than the week prior. So there is no reason to think this D is not going to be a VERY good D. You want a couple more prove it games? That's cool nothing wrong with that but from my perspective this D is going to kick some A$$.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
The problem I have with your point is that we have seen steady improvement. With this D. Every week they are building and a little bit better than the week prior. So there is no reason to think this D is not going to be a VERY good D. You want a couple more prove it games? That's cool nothing wrong with that but from my perspective this D is going to kick some A$$.
I honestly hope that you are 100% right on this. It’s just that, with five years of an under performing defense it’s hard to think that the one outstanding performance that they had this year which was against a college offensive line in the Giants, is going to convince me that they have moved the needle.

Reactions: LTH

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
One thing the O has done to protect the D is that the Seahawks are doing a real good job on not turning the ball over. 1 turnover in 4 games, and the Seahawks are only 1 of a few teams that have not lost a fumble this season. Those are hallmarks of winning football.

LTH

Reaction score
I honestly hope that you are 100% right on this. It’s just that, with five years of an under performing defense it’s hard to think that the one outstanding performance that they had this year which was against a college offensive line in the Giants, is going to convince me that they have moved the needle.
Dude it's not about what happened in the last 5 years, it's about what's happening now. It's not the scheme it's about having the right players to execute the scheme. Why we're the Hawks playing soft zone? Because they had young corners and maybe not the right corners.. way different approach with Woolen and spoon.

Just my take

LTH

BigMeach

Reaction score
Did someone say the defense is amazing now and I missed it? All I've been seeing is Witherspoon praise and enjoying the victory.