Drew is Not the Starter, but...

JPatera76

Reaction score
People said the same about Geno for a decade. What’s your point exactly? You have no basis to say he’s worse than geno in 2023 based on what we’ve seen, that’s 100% certain. He nearly equaled geno’s production last week in 1 drive. Geno put up 13 points today with 2 terrible picks vs a basic nfl defense.

I’m just saying is it still always compete or do we proceed with 24/7 geno just because?, - and if yes then that has the feel to me of a team that plays matt flynn just because they just paid him.

This is where PC's "just compete" going with the best man thing seems flawed. If drew lock is preforming better, and healthier, give him the playtime and let him play. Instead, PC defaults to the, "fall on the sword" loyalty levels he has for some reason. We've seen it before with players and coaches. And usually, it does more damage than good.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
This is where PC's "just compete" going with the best man thing seems flawed. If drew lock is preforming better, and healthier, give him the playtime and let him play. Instead, PC defaults to the, "fall on the sword" loyalty levels he has for some reason. We've seen it before with players and coaches. And usually, it does more damage than good.
Yeah. I mean I’m not an idiot for example sitting here saying bench geno and this and that. I’m very happy for everything we’ve got from him but people around here acting like he’s untouchable blows my mind.

this board is really annoying for the dismissive attitude that we’re stuck to him 24/7 like he’s mahomes or even burrow quality. The guy cannot be that much better than Lock based on their career trajectories/ draft positions etc; and as long as Geno spent as a backup seems like it’s completely out the windows around here. People act like ‘oh i saw Lock in Denver and he sucks’!

Look, I’ve seen geno for NYJ and guess what? He sucks!

See how that works?

I’m just saying situationally i know for a fact Drew Lock can do some things Geno can’t. He might not be the answer as a starter, but that qb draw for example, drew is about 2.5 times faster through that hole. And when the O line is collapsing left and right, drews mobility could be a better asset than cement legs Geno.

Personally i feel like a 9ers fan if trey lance never got hurt, sitting here arguing for what i saw in purdy. Of course the world would throw rocks at you for all the reasons they are building around trey.

And look how that played out in reality.

It’s all about systems and I’m starting to question Genos ability to play in Pete’s system. He’s good, but what’s the ceiling here really?

A Pete carroll team relies on ultra conservative qb play with surgical strikes. Geno throwing that putrid throw at JSN today for the pick is just inexcusable. Same with getting stripped in the playoffs last year against the 9ers when we were in FG range. He just can’t elevate to where he thinks he can and it’s a massive detriment.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
People said the same about Geno for a decade. What’s your point exactly? You have no basis to say he’s worse than geno in 2023 based on what we’ve seen, that’s 100% certain. He nearly equaled geno’s production last week in 1 drive. Geno put up 13 points today with 2 terrible picks vs a basic nfl defense.

I’m just saying is it still always compete or do we proceed with 24/7 geno just because?, - and if yes then that has the feel to me of a team that plays matt flynn just because they just paid him, which means Pete changed his entire philosophy.
My point is Drew sucks and you should let it go.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
My point is Drew sucks and you should let it go.
Your wonder boy Geno put up 10 and had a short field on the TD against NYG and 13 against an average Bengals team with 2 terrible picks that lost the game. He was a career backup for a decade for a reason. He finally got paid and now he's regressing to the mean.

People who i've argued with on this thread are exactly like the Flynn over Russ crowd that existed once, and ironically the Russ over Geno crowd that were very vocal about their doom and gloom of the franchise moving forward 'Russ-less'.

Just one question...is it Geno's 110 yds against the Giants or the 112 against the Rams that makes him not suck? Before you answer, Zach Wilson's lowest yards in a game this year is 140. But go on.

themunn

Reaction score
People said the same about Geno for a decade.

On the other hand, Geno sat behind Eli Manning followed by Philip Rivers followed by Russell Wilson. None of those are guys you drop for a guy, even if Geno is lights out in practice.

Now you're in a situation either where you think Geno is a guy you can drop if the back-up is outperforming him - but if he is a droppable guy and Lock isn't outperforming him in training then what does that say about Lock?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
"Always compete". That's what Geno and Drew are doing with each other. But at the same time both profess to be very close as friends and an "I have his back" mentality. I can't see why the two of them, who each have their strong points and weaknesses, wouldn't be able to work together as a tag team for the good of the team.
Geno moves the chains to set up a scoring opportunity, Drew comes in to orchestrate putting points on the board. Geno starts, Drew finishes.
Seahawks win!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
People who i've argued with on this thread are exactly like the Flynn over Russ crowd that existed once, and ironically the Russ over Geno crowd that were very vocal about their doom and gloom of the franchise moving forward 'Russ-less'.
Absolute horse manure. These situations are nothing like one another. If Lock in relief had been head and shoulders above the rest of his competition, AT ANY POINT, then you'd have a point. But that hasn't happened. Russ left no doubt. Lock did nothing of note.

Outrageous false equivalency.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Geno has been really average since about week 9 on last year. Through 5 games he’s on pace for 17 touchdowns 11 interceptions or something close. That’s just no very good for a team with this many offensive weapons. He flat out needs to play better. I got killed for saying I was worried Geno is more second half of last year Geno than first half but that’s how it’s playing out

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
If he plays poorly next week vs Arizona then I think it's time to make some decisions. I think he'll bounce back. If he doesn't then I'll be concerned.

The Cardinals and the Bengals D and completely different animals. (no pun intended)

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
"Always compete". That's what Geno and Drew are doing with each other. But at the same time both profess to be very close as friends and an "I have his back" mentality. I can't see why the two of them, who each have their strong points and weaknesses, wouldn't be able to work together as a tag team for the good of the team.
Geno moves the chains to set up a scoring opportunity, Drew comes in to orchestrate putting points on the board. Geno starts, Drew finishes.
Seahawks win!
How long have you been a football fan? It’s been proven over and over if you have two QBs you don’t have the guy. QB is not like any other position where you can platoon guys and expect success. That’s just how it is.
Also, we fans don’t have the everyday access that the coaches have in regards to players. All we can do is say player x didn’t play as well as we would have liked (the team lost, therefore…) so it’s time to see what player y can do.

evergreen

Reaction score
Even with when New Orleans used Taysom Hill NO still never did anything.

BASF

Reaction score
In what world is 2 for 6 for sixteen yards in the air (not counting the forty-seven YAC for Fant) is better than what Geno has done this season?

Some of you act like the Bengals under this D-Coordinator didn't make Josh Allen look pathetic in the playoffs last season. Some of you act like the Benglas under this D-Coordinator didn't make Patrick Mahomes look normal two seasons ago. This guy knows what he is doing and he outdueled Shane Waldron in our game.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe it was reported that Lock hurt his ankle in practice last week and didn’t travel with the team to Cincy. Putting Ahlers in that situation would not have been good. So had to roll with Smith.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I believe it was reported that Lock hurt his ankle in practice last week and didn’t travel with the team to Cincy.

This was false when another person around here ("SeaChat") stated it Saturday with no evidence, and it's even more false now.

Not only was there no evidence for SeaChat's unfounded assertion, there was decent evidence against it.

In this article about injury updates from Pete Carroll, there's this thing about Lock:
"He stepped on a guy's foot and just turned his ankle a little bit," Carroll said. "He had a really good day today. We weren't sure until we got him out there, but he practiced today and did fine."

Lock's injury led to Seattle adding rookie quarterback Holton Ahlers to the practice squad, and Carroll said they'll wait to make a decision whether or not they need to elevate Ahlers for depth, a decision that has to be made by Saturday afternoon.

In the final injury report before the game, we find this:
Out
  • CB/S Coby Bryant (toe)
  • CB Artie Burns (hamstring)
Doubtful
  • G Damien Lewis (ankle)
Questionable
  • QB Drew Lock (ankle)
  • G Phil Haynes (calf)

Summarizing, Lock had limited participation in the Seahawks' final practice before Sunday's game and was listed as "questionable" (not "out" or even "doubtful") on the final injury report.

And on Sunday, the unfounded rumor of Lock being out for the game was even-more-completely killed by the list of inactive players from the Seahawks' 53-man roster for the Bengals game:
Seahawks inactives
  • LB Devin Bush
  • CB Artie Burns
  • OT McClendon Curtis
  • LG Damien Lewis
  • OT Raiqwon O'Neal

Notice that "QB Drew Lock" does not appear on that list. He was active for the game (that is, on the 48-man game roster). The fact that there was no transaction elevating Ahlers to the 53 from the practice squad is another clear sign that the assertion that Lock was out for the game and didn't travel with the team is complete BS.

If you've got access to the web and at least basic literacy in English, which the fact that you posted your comment shows you have, it's very easy to check these things rather than repeating outright-false assertions. Hell, with voice recognition, even literacy isn't a prerequisite. "OK Google" (or "Hey Siri") "Who were the Seahawks' inactive players for the game against the Bengals?" "Read me the answers, please."

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This was false when another person around here ("SeaChat") stated it Saturday with no evidence, and it's even more false now.

Not only was there no evidence for SeaChat's unfounded assertion, there was decent evidence against it.

In this article about injury updates from Pete Carroll, there's this thing about Lock:

In the final injury report before the game, we find this:

Summarizing, Lock had limited participation in the Seahawks' final practice before Sunday's game and was listed as "questionable" (not "out" or even "doubtful") on the final injury report.

And on Sunday, the unfounded rumor of Lock being out for the game was even-more-completely killed by the list of inactive players from the Seahawks' 53-man roster for the Bengals game:

Notice that "QB Drew Lock" does not appear on that list. He was active for the game (that is, on the 48-man game roster). The fact that there was no transaction elevating Ahlers to the 53 from the practice squad is another clear sign that the assertion that Lock was out for the game and didn't travel with the team is complete BS.

If you've got access to the web and at least basic literacy in English, which the fact that you posted your comment shows you have, it's very easy to check these things rather than repeating outright-false assertions. Hell, with voice recognition, even literacy isn't a prerequisite. "OK Google" (or "Hey Siri") "Who were the Seahawks' inactive players for the game against the Bengals?" "Read me the answers please.”
Sorry. My mistake for not checking. I was traveling over the weekend did not check the active reports prior to game. Thanks for the suggestions on how to confirm reports, etc. Highly appreciated.

warden

Reaction score
I've watched Mahomes this year look like garbage at times. Should they start seeing what his backup can do?

:sneaky:
Purdy played like garbage against the Browns too.