I didn’t see Pete

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I said this after the fact and got told I was crazy. They did it out of respect, there is zero chance he’s a part of the plan moving forward. John was beaming today and excited.
This is correct. It's a classy way to say we appreciate what you have done but we are moving on.

I went through the same thing at a company 5 years ago. New CEO came in and wanted his guys leading the charge. They let a bunch go where they had reason, no message or false job. It was announced that I had some new position that didn't really exist, but what no one knew was that at a meeting earlier that day I was presented with a bonus check and 30 days of bene's, with employment terminated in 30 days as well. To me, it was a show of respect for what I had done and how I handled the new regime coming in.

I got it. If I was tasked with a mandate of change, I'd clean house too. It stung, but I appreciated that more than just being termed.

Last edited:

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
If I was Macdonald I wouldnt want PC around. Especially as a rookie coach. Always the threat of being undermined even just accidentally.

Last edited:

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I also think there will be a couple of years of weirdness between PC and the org. Hurt feelings etc. Similar to how Sherman and others felt when they were eventually cut or not extended. Eventually it will all be good though.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
If I was Macdonald I would want PC around. Especially as a rookie coach. Always the threat of being undermined even just accidentally.
As a fan of Pete...I actually don't want him having any influence over the coaching staff other than casual meets. This team needs a new direction and as much as I like Pete I think Macdonald will do fine without him. I'm sure they will talk. It's not like they are gonna lock Pete out of the building. Pete may not even want to be involved. He ran the ship forever so it's gotta be a tough watch and I'm not sure he'd want to be involved regardless. I still think his advisor position is nothing more than an easier send off.

Last edited:

Wheetie

Reaction score
If flowers is what you're after, you're going about it the wrong way.

Pete may have lost his edge as a head coach, but as a human being, he's done far more for his players and his community than you can imagine. Ironically, he can teach you a thing or two about "earning flowers"

Your denigrating remarks are unnecessary.
I'm not a Fade apologist, but why are we wanting to silence or censor people. To me, that's the spice of this place, opinions from the whole of the spectrum. There's a lot of passive and also targeted bullying around here that really isn't necessary. Fade has his takes, and he feels they're necessary to share. Who are any of us to tell him they're not? There's a few posters on here I adamantly disagree with often, I just don't read their posts.

Like him or not, and there's obviously a lot of the latter, he provokes strong feelings about the Seahawks one way or the other and to me that's iron sharpening iron.

Just my take...

Parallax

Reaction score
I also think there will be a couple of years of weirdness between PC and the org. Hurt feelings etc. Similar to how Sherman and others felt when they were eventually cut or not extended. Eventually it will all be good though.
I imagine you're right.

Parallax

Reaction score
If I was Macdonald I would want PC around. Especially as a rookie coach. Always the threat of being undermined even just accidentally.
I'm sure MacDonald will want to have mentors to turn to. I don't imagine their names will be Pete but rather John and Jim.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I'm not a Fade apologist, but why are we wanting to silence or censor people. To me, that's the spice of this place, opinions from the whole of the spectrum. There's a lot of passive and also targeted bullying around here that really isn't necessary. Fade has his takes, and he feels they're necessary to share. Who are any of us to tell him they're not? There's a few posters on here I adamantly disagree with often, I just don't read their posts.

Like him or not, and there's obviously a lot of the latter, he provokes strong feelings about the Seahawks one way or the other and to me that's iron sharpening iron.

Just my take...
I'm not trying to silence or censor anyone. If he wants to have a discussion about football, go right ahead. If he wants to disrespect Pete by calling him Jody's "ass" or "pool boy" go right ahead, but I will check him on it.

It comes off to me as ungrateful and petulant.

Pete lost his edge as a head coach, but he was good person and deserves more respect than he receives from this fan base.

renofox

Reaction score

Just my take...
Humans have the honor of being ignorant herd animals and aggressive predators all rolled into one contradictory package. We love having a hated scapegoat to ostracize.

It's just two minutes of hate in real life.

Parallax

Reaction score
Humans have the honor of being ignorant herd animals and aggressive predators all rolled into one contradictory package. We love having a hated scapegoat to ostracize.

True. And sometimes one just dislikes how someone is handling his responsibilities. My sense has been that it's all been about Pete's ego for a while now.

Wheetie

Reaction score
I'm not trying to silence or censor anyone. If he wants to have a discussion about football, go right ahead. If he wants to disrespect Pete by calling him Jody's "ass" or "pool boy" go right ahead, but I will check him on it.

It comes off to me as ungrateful and petulant.

Pete lost his edge as a head coach, but he was good person and deserves more respect than he receives from this fan base.
Ok, but checking him on it is different than telling him his views are unnecessary. Unnecessary says keep quiet to me.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Ok, but checking him on it is different than telling him his views are unnecessary. Unnecessary says keep quiet to me.
This board would have better discourse without the unnecessary disrespect. Viewpoints would be better received as well.

Hope that explains it better.

It's apparently more than two minutes for some.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score

Just my take...
I don't see calls to ban him in the thread...and there's thousands of instances of posters telling other posters their take sucks with suggestions to rethink what they say or go about it other ways. To me, that is not censorship...it's karma and the normal give/take on the forum.

We all have choices...read/don't read posts...spew venom in return...whatever. It's a forum.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
He's still getting paid from his current contract is why. It will expire after the upcoming season. And he will not be getting any more contracts from the Seahawks thereafter.

Pete was fired in a PR way that was meant to soften the blow for the more casual fans, as they have yet to realize how far the old man has slipped and still think he is a good coach. Anyone who covers the team, or analysts commenting on the situation can see this. Even KJ his former players has said it.

He doesn't even have an office at the VMAC currently. Wasn't in attendance at the introductory presser, still hasn't met w/Macdonald. Pete is done, its the Mike Macdonald era now.
Okay? Maybe next time, read what I wrote.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Lighten up. I'm not calling him anything derogatory.

And it's no where near the hate and disrespect I received over the years for merely pointing out the obvious that he was the problem in threads with great detail, football reasons, not personal.

Until I receive my flowers the jokes will continue.
So calling Pete Jody's pool man isn't derogatory and disrespectful? And you wonder why it is that you get disrespected.

Believe me, I don't carry any water for Pete Carroll. I was opposed to his hiring back in 2010 on the grounds that he was a college coach who had been fired from two different NFL HC jobs, and as early as the end of the 2020 season, I wanted him out. He had made a lot of bad personnel decisions, thrown a lot of coordinators into the volcano, and for a man who was supposed to be one of the best defensive minds of his era, hadn't managed to put out a top 10 defense in 7 years. It was past time that we move on from him.

I also felt that he had an oversized ego, that he had an inflated opinion of himself, that his teams were further away from being competitive than he was willing to admit. If anyone was of a mindset to call him a pool boy, it would be me.

But I appreciate the fact that Pete gave us the best era of Seahawk football in franchise history including two of our three SB appearances and our only Lombardi. Not only that, but I get the sense that he's a decent guy, someone that you wouldn't mind sitting down and having a beer with. I also don't think he's the type to sit on his lawn chair in Cancun and do nothing to collect that $17M paycheck. In addition, I get the sense that JS harbors a similar sentiment, and that he and Mac will seek out Pete's opinion on a number of matters involving the Seahawk franchise.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
I'm sure we'll see Pete at some point during training camp if he doesn't find another gig.
I’m not disagreeing but I hope not. I think this would be a huge distraction pro players or not. He needs to just stay away

RiverDog

Reaction score
It would have been bad PR to have Pete lurking during the presser and Pete would be the first to agree.

I think he burned that advisory role (in and of itself likely a simple PR ploy) the moment he mentioned Jody and her people not being “football people” and don’t think for one second that wasn’t Pete being coy and taking a parting shot.

In the end, it all works out. It wasn’t the most graceful swan song on either side but it was needed and had to happen.

I love you Pete. Thank you thank you thank you.

But now I have this sudden craving to go buy a Big Mac.
Yeah, complaining about being fired by those who were "not football people" was a cheap shot that was out of character for Pete. After all, the people who hired him weren't football people, either. It was sour grapes, a comment made in the immediate aftermath of what had to be a huge blow to a man with an oversized ego.

But I don't think that it necessarily burned his advisory role. The comment wasn't directed at JS as he's obviously a "football person." It was directed at Jody and the boys at Vulcan. I've heard nothing but admiration and respect being exchanged between JS and PC. Although I don't think you'll see him in the war room on draft day, I do think that he'll be in close contact with JS and Mac.

knownone

Reaction score
Yeah, complaining about being fired by those who were "not football people" was a cheap shot that was out of character for Pete. After all, the people who hired him weren't football people, either. It was sour grapes, a comment made in the immediate aftermath of what had to be a huge blow to a man with an oversized ego.

But I don't think that it necessarily burned his advisory role. The comment wasn't directed at JS as he's obviously a "football person." It was directed at Jody and the boys at Vulcan. I've heard nothing but admiration and respect being exchanged between JS and PC. Although I don't think you'll see him in the war room on draft day, I do think that he'll be in close contact with JS and Mac.
That comment was taken out of context. Pete's point was about the difficulties of communicating specific issues to executives who don't have the background to understand them. That's something all of us have likely struggled with professionally. It didn't come across as vindictive or egotistical, as many headlines have painted it. In context, Pete was responding to a question about his plan to fix things. He noted that ownership didn't believe in his plan, and he explained how he struggled to communicate his vision because they were not football people; they did not understand the details. Love him or hate him, that seems like a fair perspective take.

Now, whether that barrier to communication was significant in the ownership's decision-making process doesn't matter. They made the change. But the idea that Pete was taking shots at ownership is more of a media creation than anything. He was responding to a specific question.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That comment was taken out of context. Pete's point was about the difficulties of communicating specific issues to executives who don't have the background to understand them. That's something all of us have likely struggled with professionally. It didn't come across as vindictive or egotistical, as many headlines have painted it. In context, Pete was responding to a question about his plan to fix things. He noted that ownership didn't believe in his plan, and he explained how he struggled to communicate his vision because they were not football people; they did not understand the details. Love him or hate him, that seems like a fair perspective take.

Now, whether that barrier to communication was significant in the ownership's decision-making process doesn't matter. They made the change. But the idea that Pete was taking shots at ownership is more of a media creation than anything. He was responding to a specific question.

That's an excellent point and clarification of the truth.