I didn’t see Pete

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
With his new “advisor” role, I didn’t see him lurking around the press conference. What could Management have him doing today?

James in PA

Reaction score
I doubt he'll even be in the building much if at all.

knownone

Reaction score
I'm sure we'll see Pete at some point during training camp if he doesn't find another gig.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
My take on the "advisor role" is that the Hawks are shrewdly moving on in a way that could get them to avoid paying Pete all of the rest of his money.
By putting him in an advisor role they are keeping him on the payroll and honoring his contract while simultaneously preventing him from doing what be really wants to do which is coaching.
If Pete wants to coach either of the next 2 seasons then a team would need to trade for him (and his contract) or he would need to reach a settlement with the Hawks to allow him to sign elsewhere. Either way the Hawks would no longer owe him his full contract amount.

knownone

Reaction score
The role being ceremonial and undefined doesn't mean it doesn't/won't exist. From what we know from Pete and John in separate interviews, Pete's position would be an ambassador-style role more than anything involved with the internal workings of the team. That was pretty clear from both interviews. What's unclear is what that looks like and whether Pete would even want to do it.

The notion that Seattle offered Pete a position they had no real intention of giving him out of respect seems somewhat ridiculous. That would be the most cynical of short-term PR moves imaginable. So when KJ said there was no advisory role, he probably meant the role wasn't involved in day-to-day operations, which seems like common sense.

Parallax

Reaction score
My take on the "advisor role" is that the Hawks are shrewdly moving on in a way that could get them to avoid paying Pete all of the rest of his money.
By putting him in an advisor role they are keeping him on the payroll and honoring his contract while simultaneously preventing him from doing what be really wants to do which is coaching.
If Pete wants to coach either of the next 2 seasons then a team would need to trade for him (and his contract) or he would need to reach a settlement with the Hawks to allow him to sign elsewhere. Either way the Hawks would no longer owe him his full contract amount.
Would be great if some team like the Donkeys were willing to send us a draft pick to take Pete off our hands but I don't see it happening. He'll be back at some point for appropriate ceremonial honors but to have him there today would have been inappropriate, sending the wrong signal to all. This is John and Mike's team now. John is the boss. Mike is the head coach.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He will collect his 10 mil or thereabouts for the year and will only advise if asked to advise. Expect invisibility. PC will collect his pay cheques for the season and then move along.

It’s JS’ show now, Pete is there only for insurance.

We need to move on too.

Msfann

Reaction score
The day was about the new coach, it would have been weird and awkward with the former coach over his shoulder on his big day with the new team.

chris98251

Reaction score
He works from home and Video Conferences :)

I think Pete is going to be low profile while the Hiring process commences, having the last Coach looking over your shoulder and in meeting would be a bad move, after they get settle and start looking at the draft and FA, they may ask Pete for his thoughts on some things.

Parallax

Reaction score
Hard to imagine asking Pete's opinion on anything. My sense is he's pretty much irrelevant. This is not like Chris Petersen at UW, who left when he was loved by most of the fan base. Pete is controversial among fans. It's hard to know how he's held inside the building but we know Schneider has been wanting an opportunity to run things for some time and he now holds the reigns. MacDonald is not from the Carroll tree or anything close to it. In so many ways, they do things the opposite. Could definitely see him reaching out to the Harbaughs.

Could there be a time when someone wants Carroll's opinion on something? Sure, why not? But it's frankly hard to envision the circumstance.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Hey, he is throwing 500 footballs a day trying to get ready for OTAs !!!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It would have been bad PR to have Pete lurking during the presser and Pete would be the first to agree.

I think he burned that advisory role (in and of itself likely a simple PR ploy) the moment he mentioned Jody and her people not being “football people” and don’t think for one second that wasn’t Pete being coy and taking a parting shot.

In the end, it all works out. It wasn’t the most graceful swan song on either side but it was needed and had to happen.

I love you Pete. Thank you thank you thank you.

But now I have this sudden craving to go buy a Big Mac.