I didn’t see Pete

strohmin

Reaction score
Why care if Pete isn't around. I actually respect that he is staying out of the spotlight. Id rather Pete stay away from influencing anything that the new head coach does since they seem to have quite different philosophies. Pete didn't have anyone over his head when he came in so let's let Macdonald do things his way.

Jac

Reaction score
That comment was taken out of context. Pete's point was about the difficulties of communicating specific issues to executives who don't have the background to understand them. That's something all of us have likely struggled with professionally. It didn't come across as vindictive or egotistical, as many headlines have painted it. In context, Pete was responding to a question about his plan to fix things. He noted that ownership didn't believe in his plan, and he explained how he struggled to communicate his vision because they were not football people; they did not understand the details. Love him or hate him, that seems like a fair perspective take.

Now, whether that barrier to communication was significant in the ownership's decision-making process doesn't matter. They made the change. But the idea that Pete was taking shots at ownership is more of a media creation than anything. He was responding to a specific question.
While it's likely true he had difficulty communicating football to a non-football audience, it's also likely that Jody Allen and crew heard multiple times over the years, "all we need to do is tweak XYZ and then we're golden" (e.g., let's fix the defense by moving Clint Hurtt from the sideline to the coach's box). We've all had or worked with employees like that where best intentions don't result in anything. She didn't need to be a football person to effectively say, "enough, I don't believe this any more".

RiverDog

Reaction score
That comment was taken out of context. Pete's point was about the difficulties of communicating specific issues to executives who don't have the background to understand them. That's something all of us have likely struggled with professionally. It didn't come across as vindictive or egotistical, as many headlines have painted it. In context, Pete was responding to a question about his plan to fix things. He noted that ownership didn't believe in his plan, and he explained how he struggled to communicate his vision because they were not football people; they did not understand the details. Love him or hate him, that seems like a fair perspective take.

Now, whether that barrier to communication was significant in the ownership's decision-making process doesn't matter. They made the change. But the idea that Pete was taking shots at ownership is more of a media creation than anything. He was responding to a specific question.
Oh, I've had difficulties of the type Pete was talking about in my profession, too, and I've been on both ends of the problem, ie having been both a novice as well as an expert. It's very common, which is why I found it hard to believe that Pete was talking about it in relation to a discussion about his dismissal as head coach. They weren't talking about X's and O's, they were talking about the general overall direction of the franchise of which does not require a detailed, intimate knowledge of the sport commonly associated with "football people". It was an odd time for him to bring up that kind of relationship between him and his superiors.

But that's neither here nor there. The point I was making is that it wasn't an insult directed at John Schneider and didn't burn his advisory role as our good friend @AROS was suggesting. I'm sure that he's still considered a valuable resource.

Parallax

Reaction score
So calling Pete Jody's pool man isn't derogatory and disrespectful? And you wonder why it is that you get disrespected.

Believe me, I don't carry any water for Pete Carroll. I was opposed to his hiring back in 2010 on the grounds that he was a college coach who had been fired from two different NFL HC jobs, and as early as the end of the 2020 season, I wanted him out. He had made a lot of bad personnel decisions, thrown a lot of coordinators into the volcano, and for a man who was supposed to be one of the best defensive minds of his era, hadn't managed to put out a top 10 defense in 7 years. It was past time that we move on from him.

I also felt that he had an oversized ego, that he had an inflated opinion of himself, that his teams were further away from being competitive than he was willing to admit. If anyone was of a mindset to call him a pool boy, it would be me.

But I appreciate the fact that Pete gave us the best era of Seahawk football in franchise history including two of our three SB appearances and our only Lombardi. Not only that, but I get the sense that he's a decent guy, someone that you wouldn't mind sitting down and having a beer with. I also don't think he's the type to sit on his lawn chair in Cancun and do nothing to collect that $17M paycheck. In addition, I get the sense that JS harbors a similar sentiment, and that he and Mac will seek out Pete's opinion on a number of matters involving the Seahawk franchise.
Love your perspective, RiverDog. Don't know if I agree with the conclusion but enjoyed reading your post.

bigcc

Reaction score
Yep, it's called "Lip Service" to the tens of thousands of Pete Carroll Fans.
The smartest move that Jody, John & the Seahawks organization could make right now? erect a statue of Pete holding the Lombardi, because regardless of what Fade & a few other insulting lunkheads in here think, Pete Carroll still holds a special place in the hearts of MOST Seahawk Fans.
>DIGNITY<
I'm fully expecting him to raise the 12th man flag against the 9ers at home unless he lands a coaching gig

Parallax

Reaction score
I'm fully expecting him to raise the 12th man flag against the 9ers at home unless he lands a coaching gig
Wouldn't be what I would create if I were owner. I'd give it more time because he is controversial and it's not respectful to those fans who aren't thrilled with him. I think the time should be a couple years out, when most everyone will be ready to look back on the good times through the sepia-toned lens of time. But I won't pitch a fit or even be upset (for myself) if it happens. It's just symbolic, like keeping him on as an adviser.

bigcc

Reaction score
I'm sure MacDonald will want to have mentors to turn to. I don't imagine their names will be Pete but rather John and Jim.
Fisch actually quite literally said that Pete is going to be around the team today, he'll definitely keep up with the Harbaughs

But Pete is unemployed, wants to coach, and his son is the OC, also fisch was the qb coach for carroll year 1.

I have no doubt he'll be active around the team

bigcc

Reaction score
Wouldn't be what I would create if I were owner. I'd give it more time because he is controversial and it's not respectful to those fans who aren't thrilled with him. I think the time should be a couple years out, when most everyone will be ready to look back on the good times through the sepia-toned lens of time. But I won't pitch a fit or even be upset (for myself) if it happens. It's just symbolic, like keeping him on as an adviser.
He's something like 19-11 and some of the most iconic games in franchise history was Pete upsetting the 9ers repeatedly.

I also think that you're over thinking the flag raising, half the time I'm at games I've not even recognized the person.... What you're implying I think is much more applicable to russ.... He can't raise the flag for a while.

Seneca Wallace raised the flag last year, if you think he's more deserving than Pete would be I don't know what else to say lol

Maybe I'm an asshole but I'll take Pete over the special Olympics flag football team raising the flag vs SF

bigcc

Reaction score
So calling Pete Jody's pool man isn't derogatory and disrespectful? And you wonder why it is that you get disrespected.

Believe me, I don't carry any water for Pete Carroll. I was opposed to his hiring back in 2010 on the grounds that he was a college coach who had been fired from two different NFL HC jobs, and as early as the end of the 2020 season, I wanted him out. He had made a lot of bad personnel decisions, thrown a lot of coordinators into the volcano, and for a man who was supposed to be one of the best defensive minds of his era, hadn't managed to put out a top 10 defense in 7 years. It was past time that we move on from him.

I also felt that he had an oversized ego, that he had an inflated opinion of himself, that his teams were further away from being competitive than he was willing to admit. If anyone was of a mindset to call him a pool boy, it would be me.

But I appreciate the fact that Pete gave us the best era of Seahawk football in franchise history including two of our three SB appearances and our only Lombardi. Not only that, but I get the sense that he's a decent guy, someone that you wouldn't mind sitting down and having a beer with. I also don't think he's the type to sit on his lawn chair in Cancun and do nothing to collect that $17M paycheck. In addition, I get the sense that JS harbors a similar sentiment, and that he and Mac will seek out Pete's opinion on a number of matters involving the Seahawk franchise.
Don't agree with everything here, but well said as a whole

Wheetie

Reaction score
I don't see calls to ban him in the thread...and there's thousands of instances of posters telling other posters their take sucks with suggestions to rethink what they say or go about it other ways. To me, that is not censorship...it's karma and the normal give/take on the forum.

We all have choices...read/don't read posts...spew venom in return...whatever. It's a forum.
Jockularity is expected and enjoyed. Telling another poster their take is not necessary is likened to telling them to shut the hell up, which is a call for censorship, no?. None of us have it all figured out so all points of views should be encouraged. Again, that's what brings the juice to this place.

Wheetie

Reaction score
This board would have better discourse without the unnecessary disrespect. Viewpoints would be better received as well.

Hope that explains it better.

It's apparently more than two minutes for some.
Who determines what's disrespect? You?

Hey Hoxrox, your views are unnecessary. I agree with Fade so shut the hell up.

Maybe I'll go on to Scutterhawk, he's got a lot of takes I dont agree with. Hey Scutterhawk, your views are unnecessary. Even though I genuinely enjoy his passion and enthusiasm in his takes....

Should I keep going until everyone tows the line with what I deem to be acceptable?

I just took offense to your "unnecessary" and found it condescending. Who the hell is anyone on this board to tell anyone else their views aren't necessary.

Anyways, and sincerely, have a fantastic weekend.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Who determines what's disrespect? You?

Hey Hoxrox, your views are unnecessary. I agree with Fade so shut the hell up.

Maybe I'll go on to Scutterhawk, he's got a lot of takes I dont agree with. Hey Scutterhawk, your views are unnecessary. Even though I genuinely enjoy his passion and enthusiasm in his takes....

Should I keep going until everyone tows the line with what I deem to be acceptable?

I just took offense to your "unnecessary" and found it condescending. Who the hell is anyone on this board to tell anyone else their views aren't necessary.

Anyways, and sincerely, have a fantastic weekend.
I stand by my comments. Have a nice weekend.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm fully expecting him (Pete) to raise the 12th man flag against the 9ers at home unless he lands a coaching gig
Well, he's not landing another coaching gig, at least not this season. It's complicated by the fact that he's still under contract with us.

Pete's gonna raise the 12th man flag, the only question being when. I've been thinking that it would be at the home opener, but you might be right, that they'd 'save' him for a big game, and none would be bigger than the Niners.

Parallax

Reaction score
Fisch actually quite literally said that Pete is going to be around the team today, he'll definitely keep up with the Harbaughs

But Pete is unemployed, wants to coach, and his son is the OC, also fisch was the qb coach for carroll year 1.

I have no doubt he'll be active around the team

Different team. Doesn't surprise me that Fisch will want him around. Pete's son is OC and Pete's an NFL and college guy who's had enormous success. The sort of guy the players, all hoping for future NFL success, will want to meet.

bigcc

Reaction score
Different team. Doesn't surprise me that Fisch will want him around. Pete's son is OC and Pete's an NFL and college guy who's had enormous success. The sort of guy the players, all hoping for future NFL success, will want to meet.
Haha right, I must have gotten my wires crossed momentarily

I really do think it'd be cool if Pete could still hang around the Seattle football scene though

And you're right about Macdonald, I doubt they have negative feelings towards each other or anything like that but I can't see Macdonald specifically seeking advice from carroll outside of casual conversation, especially with the leslie hire.

And I also agree with you in that I could definitely see him actually asking the Harbaughs for advice if needed. From my understanding him coming here didn't sour his relationships with anyone.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Jockularity is expected and enjoyed. Telling another poster their take is not necessary is likened to telling them to shut the hell up, which is a call for censorship, no?. None of us have it all figured out so all points of views should be encouraged. Again, that's what brings the juice to this place.
No

chris98251

Reaction score
Depends on Petes ego, rumors floating Dallas may look at him as DC. Remember Richard, and Quinn both ran a version of Pete's defense so not much would change, you would have the Teacher there and not one of his students.

Parallax

Reaction score
Depends on Petes ego, rumors floating Dallas may look at him as DC.
That would be awesome. Would even wish him some success. Not against Seattle but elsewhere. What could he do with Parsons. He'd have to really want to keep coaching and maybe a chance to redeem himself. Could just as easily see the guy hiking the Himalayas.

renofox

Reaction score
Depends on Petes ego, rumors floating Dallas may look at him as DC. Remember Richard, and Quinn both ran a version of Pete's defense so not much would change, you would have the Teacher there and not one of his students.
PC out of the building + hostage draft pick(s) from Jerry? Awesome!