Geno Smith was due for a game like this.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He's gotten away in the last five games or so with some dangerous throws. I've seen a lot of dropped picks and the OC has called games with longer developing plays against pressure. Geno Smith has gotten a bit too cocky and he needs to reign it in a bit. We need to get back to the quick passing game. Our interior line is getting destroyed.

I hope we can make adjustments on offense and maybe this was the wake up game Geno and Pete needed.

nsport

Reaction score
Can anyone recall my assertion when he struggled in big moments earlier in the year? He's been a media darling, Cinderella story, feel good story. But... As I said all along, and holding true: Smith is a .500 QB. Maybe without Smith we are 1-2 wins fewer, maybe 1-2 wins more. Don't extend this guy, he will take us no where. Period. Glass slipper is lost.

Polk738

Reaction score
he can realistically only do so much by himself when you have three RBs sidelined, but even still, he made some very poor choice throws today-even the ones he did make were nerve racking- His out route throws to the side line are getting VERY predictable, his nearly third interception was lucky to be called incomplete and I think another was easily broken up.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Can anyone recall my assertion when he struggled in big moments earlier in the year? He's been a media darling, Cinderella story, feel good story. But... As I said all along, and holding true: Smith is a .500 QB. Maybe without Smith we are 1-2 wins fewer, maybe 1-2 wins more. Don't extend this guy, he will take us no where. Period. Glass slipper is lost.
I think that is a bit harsh. He's been doing some high level stuff this season and every QB has a bad game during the season. The issue with Geno is he's been getting too cocky with some of his throws. Some of those windows he throws it into are very dangerous and he's had a lot of dropped INT's.

They just need to get back to the basics here. It also is worth noting that our interior line has been craptastic. We're also calling a game plan that involves a lot of long developing plays. We need to get back to the quick passing game, WCO style of calls.

We're starting to look a little bit like the RW led Seahawks here with some of these calls.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
In Geno's defense it would certainly help if we had any kind of run game. Having said that he is making poor decisions and was inaccurate today.

BamKam

Reaction score
I didn’t come away from the game today thinking “man if only Geno played a lot better”. He didn’t play great but the perpetrator once again is this God awful Swiss Cheese 3-4 defense that make struggling offenses look like the Greatest Show in Turf. The worst stat of the day today was the Time of Possession… I mean holy shit.

5thgen

Reaction score
My bowl game was against Denver in the opener. Geno should not and could not be our franchise QB. We're better off losing out to get 2 good draft picks, one of which will be our future QB. This team is going nowhere even if they make the playoffs.

nsport

Reaction score
I think that is a bit harsh. He's been doing some high level stuff this season and every QB has a bad game during the season. The issue with Geno is he's been getting too cocky with some of his throws. Some of those windows he throws it into are very dangerous and he's had a lot of dropped INT's.

They just need to get back to the basics here. It also is worth noting that our interior line has been craptastic. We're also calling a game plan that involves a lot of long developing plays. We need to get back to the quick passing game, WCO style of calls.

We're starting to look a little bit like the RW led Seahawks here with some of these calls.
Maybe. But that's the same criticism I took before when I said correctly. One can't run from their record. One GW drive in 9 career attempts. These are just hard, fundamental facts. Has he been statistically excellent at times? Has he had some incredible throws? Yes to both. But I like my QBs to win. He has simply never done that in his career, despite how much we like him as a person, he's not the winning QB we want him to be.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Geno would have had to be perfect to overcome that D today. Unfortunately he was not. Although the 2nd pick was b.s. the guy on the bottom of the tv screen was off-side so I can see why he thought he had a free play.

Good play by Horn coming off his guy on the first one. I don't know the game will enough to know if Geno has to throw the ball earlier there or not.

nanomoz

Reaction score
And the run D has been consistent, outside of three good performances.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Geno would have had to be perfect to overcome that D today. Unfortunately he was not. Although the 2nd pick was b.s. the guy on the bottom of the tv screen was off-side so I can see why he thought he had a free play.

Good play by Horn coming off his guy on the first one. I don't know the game will enough to know if Geno has to throw the ball earlier there or not.
Perfect? That is a hyperbole.

hawks85

Reaction score
Whoa, hang on a sec. WTF are you talking about? Glass Slipper? Geno isn't to blame at all. He's doing beyond what's expected. It's not even the entire D, just that Run D. I've already posted this, if they fix that run D even a little bit and get more creative running the ball this team will be very very dangerous and very well may win the whole thing this year. Stop blaming Geno, Jesus Christ.

Rainger

Reaction score
Yea but very hard to make playoffs this year now. Looking to next year.

Can't see this team beating digits or chiefs. Jersey could be another loss and Ram always play Hawks tough.

This game was a big need and a fail. Put a fork in it. The ride was up and down but fun.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Geno had a bad game. It happens. But the Oline was crap and the D was worse than crap. The special teams play was good but that's about it.

GemCity

Reaction score
I’d hope to see Geno for the next two years. Not because I think he’s going to lead us to the promise land but, he’s better than Lock and we realllllllly need to focus on the d-line next year.

Fade

Reaction score
Cause and effect. Geno is pressing because he feels like he's got to score a million points to overcome the opponent AND his defense. Add no running game and the degree of difficulty is as about as hard as it gets.

Some things that could help.

More 3 TE sets to create mismatches in the passing game, and if they go light, now you can run the football.

Run more slants, crossers with Dk, his route tree is too predictable. Then hit 'em with a slugo when they start too cheat. CBs usually stay on top against him, so underneath over the middle should be pitch and catch.