Yes, Seahawks Fans, Geno Smith is for Real

ivotuk

Reaction score
Yes, Seahawks Fans, Geno Smith is for Real

NFL Week 10 - The Geno Smith Revival Tour isn't a fever dream. It's not a fluke or the product of an unsustainable model of offense (sorry, Daniel Jones) or any other explanation that takes credit away from the individual. Smith, with nearly a decade of NFL knowledge and training pent up just waiting to be unleashed, has become one of the league's preeminent pocket passers.

Smith's emergence is that much sweeter, at least for the Seahawks, because he is winning in all the ways Russell Wilson rarely did. Wilson, at his best, was obviously a better player and an MVP candidate, but he flew by the seat of his pants, trading three-and-outs for moonball deep passes and miraculous plays from outside the pocket every other drive.

Smith, by contrast, is a prim and proper passer. He commands the pocket, he exhausts all of his progressions down to the humble checkdown, and, yes, he throws the hell out of the middle of the field.

AND

What to Pay Geno Smith and Other QB Conundrums

NFL Week 10 - Pay Geno Smith! -- Specifically, pay him $40 million dollars over two years.

That's a smart price for Smith's services in the wake of his unexpected breakout for the Seattle Seahawks. It's more than the $36 million over two years that Case Keenum received when the Denver Broncos decided that his 22-touchdown 2017 season with the Minnesota Vikings was no fluke.

(Spoiler alert…) It's much more than the $28 million over two years that the Saints gave Jameis Winston this offseason. It's top-of-the-scale for a former prospect turned scrapheap veteran turned possible one-year wonder.

It's a salary structure that screams, "Last year was awesome, and we love you, but let's be reasonable." And it's a tidy raise for Smith, who has never earned more than $3.5 million in a season in his decade-long career.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm all for a team friendly $40 mill/2 yr deal if we can get it. Somehow, I don't think he'll go for that. Maybe with some heavy incentives that could increase it by half or more. We'll see.

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
Not many would say "no" to Geno at 10mil/yr...including multiple other GMs. No one will argue against that contract in Seattle, but no one should have high confidence that's where it ends up.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Geno is going to at least get a Tannehill like contract. He is more than likely going to end up with a Prescott like contract. I think that anything less is going to be wishful thinking.

keasley45

Reaction score
So give Geno a little better than 2017 Keenum money?

No one ever confused Keenum or Tannehill for MVP candidates.

It's 2022. For context, Aaron Rodgers made 22 mil that year.

Times change. Money changes. The only folks keenum and tannehill money makes sense to for Geno given his play are fans. I think even JS knows and is prepared to get real about what he's going to have to pay Geno.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good thing the cap is jumping quite a bit the next few years. Reasonable contract, yes. Get it done. Break the bank and take up a massive portion of the cap on one player? Not sure that's wise at this point. Just my opinion, nothing against Geno. He's ballin.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
He’s going to get more than that. The franchise tag itself starts at 43 mil. Anything under 30 million a year would be shocking to me given the current QB market.
We're not going to franchise him. No way. He's not worth $43M/year.

And if he wants north of $30M, let 'em go see what he can get on the open market (assuming he allows the Hawks to match that offer).

A lot still depends on the next eight games.