Elephant in the room ... is Earl ok?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2pqbfedk said:
Rob12":2pqbfedk said:
Smelly McUgly":2pqbfedk said:
Dude, they gave up nine points. If your offense, in this modern NFL that is massively slanted toward offenses, can't beat that, it is wholly on the offense.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more pressure and turnovers from our defense when we play below average offensive teams.

BINGO.

Not sure why people are not seeing this fatal flaw.

How many passes did Keenum make today that we had a chance to make a play on.

Yes we want turnovers but we havent had the opportunity really with teams playing ball control against us..

I would rather give up 10 points a game with no turnovers than 20 or 25 with turnovers.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
You all realize that holding the Rams to zero gives the Hawks almost a guarantee win, right?

:sarcasm_off:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I thought he was pretty solid today. Nothing special, but did his job and was leaps and bounds better than last week.

kf3339

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":3hldg0al said:
You all realize that holding the Rams to zero gives the Hawks almost a guarantee win, right?

:sarcasm_off:

No, actually I think some want our defense to give up zero points and score all our points in the game. That way our real offense doesn't have to do a damn thing. They can just coast along. You know it's not like they are being paid to do their own job at all! :sarcasm_off:

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kf3339":30u2m9is said:
"Not with a gimpy QB, starting guard out, back-up guard gimpy, Rawls out, Lockett hurt, Baldwin hurt too.

What did you expect? We knew it would be low scoring and close. Obviously.

Offense sucked. Defense was good, but still can't come up with the game changers like great defenses do.

This was a game we needed our D to win for us. Against an offense that will never be confused with being elite.

Period."

So Flying Greg you are saying if our defense is incapable of scoring points themselves, they are at fault for this loss since the offense gets to use a very weak injury excuse to get off the hook. REALLY? :pukeface:

Nope. It is over your head now.

Moving along...

kf3339

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":13amolcx said:
kf3339":13amolcx said:
"Not with a gimpy QB, starting guard out, back-up guard gimpy, Rawls out, Lockett hurt, Baldwin hurt too.

What did you expect? We knew it would be low scoring and close. Obviously.

Offense sucked. Defense was good, but still can't come up with the game changers like great defenses do.

This was a game we needed our D to win for us. Against an offense that will never be confused with being elite.

Period."

So Flying Greg you are saying if our defense is incapable of scoring points themselves, they are at fault for this loss since the offense gets to use a very weak injury excuse to get off the hook. REALLY? :pukeface:

Nope. It is over your head now.

Moving along...

Nope. It's over your head.

Moving along.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Shead was more to blame than Earl. Still not complaining since they never crossed the goal line except for field goals. Our D is bend don't break. They did there job. Asking more of them when our offense with the weapons it has can only score 3. My god thee San Fran train wreck scored 29. Asking more of our D is just ridiculous. They are doing very well without turnovers. I would definitely like more but I will take non turnovers if they perform like this every week.

skater18000

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2difx0ru said:
Coug_Hawk08":2difx0ru said:
FlyingGreg":2difx0ru said:
Coug_Hawk08":2difx0ru said:
He did much better today. Certainly wouldn't call him out as a reason for loss.

We've given up 19 points over two weeks. That's amazing. We should be complaining about offense.

Not. We can complain about the defense, too.

Where are the turnovers?

Agree, turnovers would be great, no doubt. But again, offense should score more than 19 in just one game. It's absolutely pathetic that we couldn't go 2-0 with that defensive effort.

I agree. But we had a QB at 75% (maybe), three active RBs once Rawls got hurt, missing Ifedi, a gimpy Webb, Lockett out for 2+ quarters...against a D that gives us fits even when we are healthy.

It's times like this weekend need SOMETHING big from a defense we have invested massive amounts of money in.

Compound reasons added up to amount to this loss. We're by no means at full strength & we choked... Move on!

Canhawks

Reaction score
The defence played fantastic today,but half way through the 3rd quarter I was asking myself hey is Earl playing,then I saw him get beat by Hyde.I didn't really pay attention to him,but he was nowhere near as noticeable as Kam.How did he look out there today,to me he was unnoticeable.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Canhawks":1lwj13pl said:
The defence played fantastic today,but half way through the 3rd quarter I was asking myself hey is Earl playing,then I saw him get beat by Hyde.I didn't really pay attention to him,but he was nowhere near as noticeable as Kam.How did he look out there today,to me he was unnoticeable.

Yep. But when you are critical of our superstars on this board people get hormonal.

Truth is truth.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Said this after the Miami game, Earl hasn't being playing up to his reputation in long time. He is not playing elite and some games have been down right bad. This is who he is at this point.

hawk45

Reaction score
I didn't notice Earl most of the game which may mean he was doing his job closing off the deeper options.
But I get why it's hard to evaluate him positively when the only plays he is involved in conspicuously are conspicuously bad.
And I think I agree that even if his performance was better this week, top-form Earl does not take the god awful angles we are seeing out of him. I don't feel very comfortable with him as the last line of defense when a running plea gets by the front seven. Any one else in the secondary I trust to make a tackle, but not Earl.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3lw1j3ky said:
Two games. He wasn't awful today, just non-existent.

I didn't hear his name once today.

What's up with Earl?

I heard his name mentioned when Formalda-Hyde ran past him, but that was it.

The Breh

Reaction score
He questioned his passion last year. I guess at this point it may be painfully, obviously a legit concern.

uncle fester

Reaction score
We were having the same discussion here. I was thinking of Bob Sanders who was amazing, then tailed off with injuries. He lasted into his 7th year. Earl's currently in his 7th. Kenny Easley lasted 7 years. Playing safety normally means a relatively short career.

Also, Earl has a young daughter and kids can change your outlook in the relative importance of things.