The REAL 'elephant in the room' (NFC West)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It would suck if he was Elway or Marino but he’s not. He’s mid tier at very best and runs set plays. Kyle called his dad and said “hey pops do you still have your playbook from 1976? We fuhked up drafting again we need that playbook. Nobody will expect us to run 90 times per game”

I've watched quite a few Niner games, and Purdy is better than you think. He's made some impressive throws, and his savvy and football IQ are very good.

Yes he's benefited from having Shanahan and his embarrassment of riches at the skill positions. But he's pretty damn good man. Too good for Mr. Irrelevant, and again the Niners don't deserve him!

evergreen

Reaction score
The clock is ticking. How much rough water has he seen? It's all just so pretty right now. No blemish anywhere.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I've watched quite a few Niner games, and Purdy is better than you think. He's made some impressive throws, and his savvy and football IQ are very good.

Yes he's benefited from having Shanahan and his embarrassment of riches at the skill positions. But he's pretty damn good man. Too good for Mr. Irrelevant, and again the Niners don't deserve him!
He’s good but he isn’t damn good. He reminds me a lot of Jay Cutler with a weaker arm. He has McCaffrey and Kittle as a security blanket. Let’s keep it real the 49ers are good because of their front 7. Kyle schemes great for McCaffrey and have to say it’s been genius, but let’s keep Purdy’s mid tier talent in perspective.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Purdy is a good QB. Surprised that no one drafted him sooner and unfortunately the Niners got him. In most mock drafts he was ranked anywhere from 3rd to 5th round prospect. I thought he would be a good fit in the Seahawk offense. I think the only negative on him may have been regards to his arm strength. Doesn’t seem to be a big issue in Niner land.

The Dirty Dozen Fan

Reaction score
He’s good but he isn’t damn good. He reminds me a lot of Jay Cutler with a weaker arm. He has McCaffrey and Kittle as a security blanket. Let’s keep it real the 49ers are good because of their front 7. Kyle schemes great for McCaffrey and have to say it’s been genius, but let’s keep Purdy’s mid tier talent in perspective.
But is he better than Trey Lance ?

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
He's not like Cutler at ALL. Cutler was rocket armed loose canon who threw a lot of picks and didn't seem to be a team player. Purdy executes the offense at a high level. Drew Brees is the best comp I can come up with.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
Purdy is a good QB. Surprised that no one drafted him sooner and unfortunately the Niners got him. In most mock drafts he was ranked anywhere from 3rd to 5th round prospect. I thought he would be a good fit in the Seahawk offense. I think the only negative on him may have been regards to his arm strength. Doesn’t seem to be a big issue in Niner land.
He worked on mechanics and strength pre-draft and added 5 mph to his velocity.

SI Article

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He's not like Cutler at ALL. Cutler was rocket armed loose canon who threw a lot of picks and didn't seem to be a team player. Purdy executes the offense at a high level. Drew Brees is the best comp I can come up with.
I didn’t say he had a career like him I said his throwing style is similar. I know Cutler had a rocket arm which is why I said Purdy’s was much weaker. He kind of has a weenie arm but throws a lot of slants like Stinky G did.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
I didn’t say he had a career like him I said his throwing style is similar. I know Cutler had a rocket arm which is why I said Purdy’s was much weaker. He kind of has a weenie arm but throws a lot of slants like Stinky G did.
You can't back out of this one. You'll have to live with equating Cutler and Purdy until you delete your account in disgrace.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I'd say Joe Montana-esque
No way man he’s more like Mahomes and Vick. Randall Cunningham and Fouts. Also has some Johnny Unitas looking skills and Jim Kelly’s arm and accuracy. Better deep ball than Moon and throws harder than Elway. Face!!!

Marvin49

Reaction score
Player comps always crack me up.

If you don't like a guy your player comp is a guy who sucks. If you do like a guy it's a HoF player. Reality is no player comp is exact.

As such...I don't really have a player comp. All I can do is list the attributes I've seen from him.

Competitive
Doesn't seem bothered by pressure
Looks calm in the pocket
Processes VERY quickly
Quick release
Doesn't have a cannon, but has more arm strength than you think
Not tall (6'1", which is actually Jalen Hurts height), but not too short either
Not big (225...which is only 5 lbs lighter than Jalen Hurts listed weight), but powerful lower body which give him quick but not fast movement.
Throws with anticipation
Runs to escape but keep eyes downfield
Plays within system, but can create off-schedule when needed

So...you guys tell me....give me a comp that fits all those criteria.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Purdy will have a bad day someday. Hopefully will be against our hungry corners. Problem is, those days will be rare, cuz he is good...

The way they over use McCaffrey, he will eventually be out with an injury, and maybe that will slow him down...

NoGain

Reaction score
Player comps always crack me up.

If you don't like a guy your player comp is a guy who sucks. If you do like a guy it's a HoF player. Reality is no player comp is exact.

As such...I don't really have a player comp. All I can do is list the attributes I've seen from him.

Competitive
Doesn't seem bothered by pressure
Looks calm in the pocket
Processes VERY quickly
Quick release
Doesn't have a cannon, but has more arm strength than you think
Not tall (6'1", which is actually Jalen Hurts height), but not too short either
Not big (225...which is only 5 lbs lighter than Jalen Hurts listed weight), but powerful lower body which give him quick but not fast movement.
Throws with anticipation
Runs to escape but keep eyes downfield
Plays within system, but can create off-schedule when needed

So...you guys tell me....give me a comp that fits all those criteria.
Some of those comps are what I'd say about another 49er, Joe Montana. There's rarely ever a near perfect one-for-one comp from one player to another. I pretty much echo most posters about Purdy. He's a real good young QB playing in almost the perfect situation for a player like him to succeed. That's not taking anything away from him, but it is the truth.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
Some of those comps are what I'd say about another 49er, Joe Montana. There's rarely ever a near perfect one-for-one comp from one player to another. I pretty much echo most posters about Purdy. He's a real good young QB playing in almost the perfect situation for a player like him to succeed. That's not taking anything away from him, but it is the truth.
For Montana's first SB the 49ers had no running attack (Earl Cooper, Ricky Patton and Lenvil Elliot [Paul Hofer was tragically injured and had great talent]) which in part was why Walsh implemented the West Coast Offense (not saying he invented it); Montana's wideouts (Solomon, Clark) were decent but not great players. Also defenses could still knock the snot out of you without penalties.

chris98251

Reaction score
Montana, Hadl, Stabler, Greise even maybe Garcia or douchbag Warner. None had the big arm but had good receivers and threw on time, had guts and lead well. Team mates beleived in them and would play a level higher.