The REAL 'elephant in the room' (NFC West)

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
The new "GOAT" candidate, Brock Purdy...

Aside from him signing the big deal, and bringing the team down with cap eating contracts, how will we deal with him? I really hate it, but I've watched him too, and the hype is real. With him playing like this, we could be permanently relegated to wild card bids, until he's out of the division or the team fails in other ways.

There's really no way to objectively deny this guy's talent, and potential. He's literally the next coming of Brady, and that's not exaggerating. GOD I hate having him in our division!

JPatera76

Reaction score

Aside from him signing the big deal, and bringing the team down with cap eating contracts, how will we deal with him? I really hate it, but I've watched him too, and the hype is real. With him playing like this, we could be permanently relegated to wild card bids, until he's out of the division or the team fails in other ways.

There's really no way to objectively deny this guy's talent, and potential. He's literally the next coming of Brady, and that's not exaggerating. GOD I hate having him in our division!

Meh he's benefiting heavily from mcaffery and deebo and he can run. Imagine if PC and SW had that creativeness with Geno or Lock with Walker and Charbs .. on 90% of plays.

And yes, your 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000% exaggerating in calling him the next coming of brady.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Meh he's benefiting heavily from mcaffery and deebo and he can run. Imagine if PC and SW had that creativeness with Geno or Lock with Walker and Charbs .. on 90% of plays.

And yes, your 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000% exaggerating in calling him the next coming of brady.
You clearly have neither watched the guy, nor have you compared stats with Brady. Purdy has already FAR exceeded Brady's performance in his first few years.

Torc

Reaction score
I'm really, really curious to see what happens with the whiners and cowboys this week. I think it'll answer a lot of questions about both teams. The only team to have kept the whiners with Purdy under 20 points - last year's cowboys.

knownone

Reaction score

Purdy is in an extraordinary situation. He's not in the same stratosphere as Brady. And he may already be near his ceiling, given his limited toolset. Currently, he's in the bottom 25 in pass attempts, rarely plays from behind, and their offense averages 150 yards rushing per game.

So, the objective argument against him is the scheme and talent around him. For example, he's in the bottom 20 of air yards, yet the guys around him are so good after the catch he's 2nd in YPA. That's an insane statistic.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
I wanna see how he performs on a bad team. If he lights it up on an offense that isn't stacked, then that would be something. He's obviously a great fit for the 49ers and I think they'll be good for a long while.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I don't have anything negative really to say about Purdy. He's gets the ball out quickly to his first read when it's open (and it usually is). He throws it accurately. He happens to play behind an exceptional offense and scheme.

I think a lot of quarterbacks would do well under center with SF, Purdy is just the lucky one behind there.

I don't know what he'd be like without SF, but it's not like he's not hitting open receivers. He's a legitimate NFL QB.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Purdy is the REAL DEAL. It's premature, though, to say he's the "Next Brady". He's a great fit in the 49ers scheme and with their playmakers and talent, and makes the most of it. He almost had a career-ending injury last year, so let's see him make it through at least a couple healthy postseasons before anointing him with any GOAT comparisons.

Also recall that Brady's early years stats were achieved under less pass-friendly NFL rules, with fewer protections for QBs.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Stats from 20 years ago don't compare with today's numbers. Offensive stats are up across the board over the last 20 years.
Yup, I was just writing that too, you beat me to the draw. The 2013-2014 Hawks are rumored to have triggered some of those rule changes.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Purdy w McCaffery, and that defense is a golden opportunity I’m sure many QBs wish they were in.

If Niners don’t win the SB this year, well, hey, it’ll just be like every other year since 1995.

morgulon1

Reaction score
You clearly have neither watched the guy, nor have you compared stats with Brady. Purdy has already FAR exceeded Brady's performance in his first few years.
But he only played part of last season and 4 games of this season then Philadelphia broke him off in the playoffs.

But yes I agree he's a good player , but I'm thinking with the others on here that he is very lucky to be on the miners.
What if he were a NY football Giant?

SanDiego49er

Reaction score

Yeah he's phenomenal. He reminds me of a young Drew Brees or Joe Montana. The processing is just elite. The mechanics and accuracy are awesome. He's the real deal.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score

He's phenomenal and the real deal. Why can't Trey Lance or Jimmy G do it at this level if it's all just "the help?" LOL. These guys have never seen him play obviously. He's a hell of a QB. Will be a top tier QB in the league for years to come.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Purdy and Hurts are on talent-loaded teams. They aren’t going to lose many regular season games unless they screw up. That alone takes off pressure compared to QBs on weaker teams who know they have to be nearly flawless just to stay close on the scoreboard. It is like a race driver who knows he’s driving the hottest car on the track.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
The problem with "Oh it's just the talent around him" argument is, not just why can't other guys do what he does. It's also that all this success is going to hone his skills to the point he can do the same or similar without as much help.

It's like Daniel Jones, or even maybe Fields. So much about developing QB talent is about giving the guy the play time and the chance. It can be hendled right or wrong, but it's hard to argue that the 49ers are doing anything but good for Purdy and his game.

I think the board as a whole is underestimating the guy big time, and there will be tears later over it.