Elephant in the Room

Jac

Reaction score
You keep tellin' yourself that...The amount of money they're giving him ain't "Placeholder" money.
Of course it is. It's only a three-year contract structured in such a way that they can get out of it next offseason. I think Schneider has been eager to pull the trigger on a QB, and he will this upcoming draft to pair with this young team. Maybe Smith gets one more year as the bridge.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
This is just classic. It's somehow Pete Carroll's fault that Wilson has made the Broncos OL look bad and got sacked on more than 10% of his dropbacks as a Bronco.

Wow. Saint Russell the Blameless just can't be anything but pure and perfect in the minds of delusional Wilson fans. All the things perceived by others as flaws (inability to read a defense, inability or unwillingness to see and throw to open receivers in the middle, astronomical sack rate, etc.) are actually Pete Carroll's fault.

Are we honestly saying that Wilson doesnt have some type of Carr syndrome at this point. Russ wasnt the only QB that got sacked a lot under Pete Carroll. Every QB that has played for him does. There was a topic on this subject before and the stats were eye opening.

xray

Reaction score
I think of the line from the movie Moneyball..."If he's such a good hitter , why doesn't he hit good "? Smith happened to play out of his mind for 1/2 of one season ; and many seem to think that he's the QB messiah . He's not built for that kind of pressure . imo

chris98251

Reaction score
I would give Geno a pass for game 1, two starting Tackles down, brand new Center, then you have the over try aspect of the line trying to compensate. Throw in one of the better D lines and Donald wanting to feast it is a Disaster Movie being made.

xray

Reaction score
Let's skip to what's really at stake here . A deep run in postseason and maybe a SB appearance . Super Bowls almost always host the best teams with the best QBs in the league . Anybody see the Hawks in that scenario ? If they were rebuilding they should of drafted a QB . Not doing that was short sighted and costly . This BS of " maybe next year " is getting old .

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I would give Geno a pass for game 1, two starting Tackles down, brand new Center, then you have the over try aspect of the line trying to compensate. Throw in one of the better D lines and Donald wanting to feast it is a Disaster Movie being made.
This is a very realistic evaluation ^.

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
Geno is an above average game manager. Which means when given a decent O-line and supporting run game he can play like he did in the 1st half of last year.

When the RB's got hurt and the O-line wore down? 2nd half Geno, which we saw on full display last week.

If your expectations are anything other than this, you need to lower them.
I don’t disagree with your assessment too much

I think he is mediocre so I don’t really expect anything from him

keasley45

Reaction score
Are we honestly saying that Wilson doesnt have some type of Carr syndrome at this point. Russ wasnt the only QB that got sacked a lot under Pete Carroll. Every QB that has played for him does. There was a topic on this subject before and the stats were eye opening.

I remember when the trade was made and the Russ crowd was saying he would take Denver to the playoffs right away, I said that he would fail, because his reasons for failure here (even when he created something with his mad scrambles) were obvious and had been for a long time. And... that when he did, the Russ crowd would claim that Pete broke him.

Russ was never a qb who was good in the pocket. Even early on, teams knew that he would rarely step up in the pocket and instead try to spin out of the back as soon as there was pressure. Russ never had the 'hang in the pocket' gene. Ever.

His failure now is because he NEEDS to hang in the pocket because he can't run the way he used to. And he looks like a deer in headlights and fidgety because he was never comfortable doing what he's trying to do now.

The read-option launched RG3 and Russ's career. Russ was far more talented a player than RG and was able to adapt his game within the structure of a welcoming offense in Seattle. Until, that adaptation wore thin.

keasley45

Reaction score

This is a good read on why the Hawks under Pete can be so frustrating. I tried to say something similar on Monday but didn't do it as well as Salk does here.

In summary. Pete is easy to criticize because his teams success is predicated on intangible things. The tangibles (scheme, assignment correctness, etc) are obviously important, but secondary in the grand scheme of things and so when they go wrong, it's obvious what's wrong. And when things go right, well, we all just applaud. The struggle here is that things haven't been 'right' culture wise or strong enough talent wise for a long time.

You can argue whether his approach is outdated. But whether it will still work remains to be seen. Because when it clicks and the bone headed mistakes that led to the loss on Sunday are cleaned up and the talent we have across the board is allowed to just play without thinking, we stand to look like a completely different team.

This team has never won conventionally.

olyfan63

Reaction score
This is just classic. It's somehow Pete Carroll's fault that Wilson has made the Broncos OL look bad and got sacked on more than 10% of his dropbacks as a Bronco.

Wow. Saint Russell the Blameless just can't be anything but pure and perfect in the minds of delusional Wilson fans. All the things perceived by others as flaws (inability to read a defense, inability or unwillingness to see and throw to open receivers in the middle, astronomical sack rate, etc.) are actually Pete Carroll's fault.
"Saint Russell the Blameless", Love it! I'm stealing that one for future use.
Is that a Lagartixa original or did you borrow it from another?

keasley45

Reaction score

This. Watch the coaches tape on NFL Gamepass. Geno didn't have a great game Sunday but he also can't be blamed for the loss.

We schemed a game that we thought would be enough on offense, and then when things turned, it wasn't and we didn't even have the possessions to adequately adjust.

That being said, the decision to give up the ground game was mind boggling, but that's not Geno, that's Waldron. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say maybe Shane got caught up in out 'big-play' hitting his former boss and rather than just do what was working, tried to get cute and 'genius ' his was out of the hole they were in.

olyfan63

Reaction score
"Saint Russell the Blameless", Love it! I'm stealing that one for future use.
Is that a Lagartixa original or did you borrow it from another?
Well, here's another nickname, inspired by the Harry Potter series:
"3 Who Must Not Be Blamed"

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
This is a very realistic evaluation ^.
Not only that but the Rams are historically just a shit matchup for Pete’s style. Even when they sucked with Jeff Fischer and we had the best defense in the league it was a struggle. I’m not placing much stock in week one’s outcome we just need to hit a groove and we’ll be fine. Chemistry will happen they just need more reps together which they could’ve had in a joint training camp session that they need to consider next year and moving forward. Now let’s go to Detroit and bend the Lions over!!!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

This is a good read on why the Hawks under Pete can be so frustrating. I tried to say something similar on Monday but didn't do it as well as Salk does here.

In summary. Pete is easy to criticize because his teams success is predicated on intangible things. The tangibles (scheme, assignment correctness, etc) are obviously important, but secondary in the grand scheme of things and so when they go wrong, it's obvious what's wrong. And when things go right, well, we all just applaud. The struggle here is that things haven't been 'right' culture wise or strong enough talent wise for a long time.

You can argue whether his approach is outdated. But whether it will still work remains to be seen. Because when it clicks and the bone headed mistakes that led to the loss on Sunday are cleaned up and the talent we have across the board is allowed to just play without thinking, we stand to look like a completely different team.

This team has never won conventionally.

In summation, Petes approach requires utmost talent everywhere to advance and really go far. It always has. Problem is the team hasent had that kind of talent since 2014 and Pete doesnt seem to know how to adapt to fix it.

keasley45

Reaction score
In summation, Petes approach requires utmost talent everywhere to advance and really go far. It always has. Problem is the team hasent had that kind of talent since 2014 and Pete doesnt seem to know how to adapt to fix it.

Dont know what you read. It requires chemistry .

And folks keep on talking about how we haven't has X since 2015 or whenever.

This team is nothing Wilson Hawks from that period to 2021. It's a different team with a different y identity on offense and more talent on both sides of the ball.

And as has been said several times there were certainly blue chip players on Pete's LOB days but there were also role players who contributed way above their grade because of chemistry. That's a known fact underscored by even LOB players today. This team is as close to thisr as any have been.

What will make the difference is time together between the white lines, accountability and leadership.

It's week 1.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Dont know what you read. It requires chemistry .

And folks keep on talking about how we haven't has X since 2015 or whenever.

This team is nothing Wilson Hawks from that period to 2021. It's a different team with a different y identity on offense and more talent on both sides of the ball.

And as has been said several times there were certainly blue chip players on Pete's LOB days but there were also role players who contributed way above their grade because of chemistry. That's a known fact underscored by even LOB players today. This team is as close to thisr as any have been.

What will make the difference is time together between the white lines, accountability and leadership.

It's week 1.

If you think there's more talent on the defensive side of the ball, I dont know what to tell you.

I'm surprised you feel like everything is going to be alright. I dont have high expectations for this years team or going forward. I think the scheme and talent (defensively and QB) is lacking.

Last edited:

Latest posts