Elephant in the Room

hawks85

Reaction score
Ok, I'm reading all these threads and everyone is thrashing the defense, I agree. Let's talk about the real problem here. Geno Smith. 3 total yards in the second half isn't gonna cut it. I don't care if our 2 tackles went out. Smith is being paid to QB this team. Improvise, overcome, and adapt. Geno Smith is 3-7 since that TB last year. Not good. I've always liked Smith, but I'm not sold yet.

Scout

Reaction score
It is possible that the Bucs showed a blueprint on how to slow down Waldron/Geno on offense last year. But I think Waldron has to play call better and involve Walker far more to help out Geno and an offense that is missing two starting OTs. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
H

hawks85

Reaction score
If he doesn't get it together the crowd might start chanting Drew
I like Smith, always have. People can slice it up anyway they want, but Drew won that competition last year to be the starter. Smith ONLY got it because he's been there and deserved a shot and Drew was the new comer.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Smith outplayed Lock last year so I think you need your eyes checked.
Plus didn't Lock come down with Covid towards the end of the preseason?

Geno was clearly the best option given his experience with the team and the 'competition' during the preseason. In the Pittsburgh game, Lock showed why he had such a tough go of it in Denver when he failed to pick up an obvious blitz and gave up a strip sack.

keasley45

Reaction score
The elephant?

We call games on offense and defense to not lose, rather than to win. That's the underlying issue I saw. Our offense was so completely conservative that it was pathetic to watch. Geno was throwing routes that were barely open (not his fault) because they are the same combinations we've shown for a year now. Defenses know what we are going to run before the snap. DBs are sitting back waiting for the ball. It began happening over the 2nd half of last season and was attributed to Geno being 'figured out'. It's our offense being 3rd grade level that's the issue. The well was dry be season's end last year. Yet we keep sending the bucket down.

On defense... we played the run aggressively and it worked when the right defense was called. The pass defense... I dont think we blitzed at all. If we are going to play that ridiculous zone all year without bringing pressure, every qb capable of reading coverage well and throwing to open spots is going to carve us up.

Clint Hurtt - I don't think he's qualified to captain the ship. We need someone here who has experience and can establish a baseline of competency. I get the feeling Clint is winging it and is in way over his head.

Injuries - if we don't have Cross and Lucas moving forward, it's going to be hard to fix any of this.

Scout

Reaction score
Fortunately you can build on the defense stopping the run. The pass defense is another issue because that soft zone play is too easy to beat with modern NFL offenses. Lack of pressure makes it worse.

I mean T. Hill wasn't lining up out there so the Hawks lining up so far back in zone was laughable.

hawker84

Reaction score
Ok, I'm reading all these threads and everyone is thrashing the defense, I agree. Let's talk about the real problem here. Geno Smith. 3 total yards in the second half isn't gonna cut it. I don't care if our 2 tackles went out. Smith is being paid to QB this team. Improvise, overcome, and adapt. Geno Smith is 3-7 since that TB last year. Not good. I've always liked Smith, but I'm not sold yet.
We must have watched two different games. Out of all the garbage I saw on the field yesterday, that loss is hardly on Geno. Rams held the ball 40 minutes out of the 60. Hard to move the ball from the sidelines. 🤷

hawker84

Reaction score
The elephant?

We call games on offense and defense to not lose, rather than to win. That's the underlying issue I saw. Our offense was so completely conservative that it was pathetic to watch. Geno was throwing routes that were barely open (not his fault) because they are the same combinations we've shown for a year now. Defenses know what we are going to run before the snap. DBs are sitting back waiting for the ball. It began happening over the 2nd half of last season and was attributed to Geno being 'figured out'. It's our offense being 3rd grade level that's the issue. The well was dry be season's end last year. Yet we keep sending the bucket down.

On defense... we played the run aggressively and it worked when the right defense was called. The pass defense... I dont think we blitzed at all. If we are going to play that ridiculous zone all year without bringing pressure, every qb capable of reading coverage well and throwing to open spots is going to carve us up.

Clint Hurtt - I don't think he's qualified to captain the ship. We need someone here who has experience and can establish a baseline of competency. I get the feeling Clint is winging it and is in way over his head.

Injuries - if we don't have Cross and Lucas moving forward, it's going to be hard to fix any of this.
Agree 💯. Folks blaming geno for this is just silly.

RiverDog

Reaction score
We must have watched two different games. Out of all the garbage I saw on the field yesterday, that loss is hardly on Geno. Rams held the ball 40 minutes out of the 60. Hard to move the ball from the sidelines. 🤷
And a lot of that TOP falls directly on our offense. We were 2-9 on 3rd down. Geno threw for just 112 yards, a little over 4 yards per attempt. Lots of blame to be spread around, including Geno.

strohmin

Reaction score
The elephant in the room is that the defense is still the same trash it has been for atleast the past few years. If you blame only Geno for this loss yhen there is no hope for this team to win any games. People only say this is 1 loss but this is the same trash defensive scheme as previous years.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The had 3 EFFIN YARDS ALL 2ND HALF. They were dominated on both sides of the ball. I still can't believe what I saw in the 2nd half yesterday. Putrid.
And on a side note, I figured the Elephant in the room was another DK tantrum. I'm a DK fan, always have been, but grow the hell up, kid. Enough already.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Agree 💯. Folks blaming geno for this is just silly.
Not necessarily Geno but the entire offense deserves their share. The defense getting massacred is a theme from last year, and last year, like the Lions game, we responded to an extent. Plenty of draft capital for 2 years has went to the offense. The contracts were for offensive players. Pre season media thought we might have the best WR trio in the ENTIRE league, then factor in a feisty and sharp looking Walker. I even give Jason a pass on the missed FG because 3rd and 6 at the 21 and we can’t even complete a basic pass to either edge closer or get close to the sticks? Waldron went full (tropic Thunder quote) and it was inexcusable. It seems like Pete said he didn’t want to open the playbook on an ailing Rams team to keep some Aces up his sleeve for later but forgot he’s playing against a HoF QB and the best defensive player to ever play.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
The had 3 EFFIN YARDS ALL 2ND HALF. They were dominated on both sides of the ball. I still can't believe what I saw in the 2nd half yesterday. Putrid.
And on a side note, I figured the Elephant in the room was another DK tantrum. I'm a DK fan, always have been, but grow the hell up, kid. Enough already.
The elephant in the room is Pete Carroll. How long has Metcalf been allowed to behave like he did yesterday?

It's time that Pete take control of the team. Bench Metcalf and put Bobo in his place even if it costs us a win. You have to break some eggs to make an omelet.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The list of problems for this team is long. We waited all this time for this pos effort? They better bring their A game this Sunday, or they're gonna' get smoked.
Bench DK? No. Sit him for a quarter? Maybe.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Side note, I'm too bummed to even muster up an Argument. So many issues on this team, and Geno better damn well not get a pass either.