Elephant in the room ... is Earl ok?

hangumhi

Reaction score
Rob12":3rh70120 said:
Smelly McUgly":3rh70120 said:
Dude, they gave up nine points. If your offense, in this modern NFL that is massively slanted toward offenses, can't beat that, it is wholly on the offense.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more pressure and turnovers from our defense when we play below average offensive teams.

Ditto! Why do we keep rushing four and dropping 7? Even below average QB's like Keenum can pick up first downs with enough time.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1uts6jyb said:
seahawkfreak":1uts6jyb said:
FlyingGreg":1uts6jyb said:
Coug_Hawk08":1uts6jyb said:
He did much better today. Certainly wouldn't call him out as a reason for loss.

We've given up 19 points over two weeks. That's amazing. We should be complaining about offense.

Not. We can complain about the defense, too.

Where are the turnovers?

You have brought this up like 3 times today. Teams know to play high percentage, mistake free games against us. It has been this way since we played the Chargers two years ago. If our offense could score a touchdown that would go a long way.

I am going to keep bringing it up. Completely valid.

It's not affecting Denver or Carolina. Two defensive TDs for Denver today, one for Carolina. They just make plays. Don't you think teams try to be careful against them?

Tired of excuses.

I'm sure as hell not making any excuses. I'm saying that's not why we lost. Since 2012 we are 9-5 when we lost the turnover battle. Only team in the NFL with a winning record in that time period.

I'm putting my money on drive ending penalties on top of an already weak offense. This is what is killing us.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The elephant in the room is a lack of a pass rush, and no turn overs.

Clark's sack on Keenum in the 3rd quarter was the 1st Qb HIT in the entire game. No wonder he looked competent against us. I saw none of the blitzes and DL stunts we saw against Miami.

We're also just not making plays. Chancellor with a PI call, and guys just not making plays.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawks46":1jzwhtus said:
The elephant in the room is a lack of a pass rush, and no turn overs.

Clark's sack on Keenum in the 3rd quarter was the 1st Qb HIT in the entire game. No wonder he looked competent against us. I saw none of the blitzes and DL stunts we saw against Miami.

We're also just not making plays. Chancellor with a PI call, and guys just not making plays.

I heard Buck say that and was shocked.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
FlyingGreg":1b88iecp said:
Smelly McUgly":1b88iecp said:
Dude, they gave up nine points. If your offense, in this modern NFL that is massively slanted toward offenses, can't beat that, it is wholly on the offense.

No. With a hobbled QB, starting guard out, back up guard hobbled, Lockett out, Rawls out... we need more from that massively paid defense.

D was good, but against a very suspect offense that was shutout last week.

Nobody expected the offense to score 20 today. If you did, you are a fool. Wilson was clearly extremely limited.

Point is... our D used to be a game changer. It is not anymore.

This makes no sense to me. You are asking a defense who gave up nine points in 2016's NFL to get TOs from an offense that could mostly play it safe because they were up most of the game?

How about asking our elite immobile highly-paid QB to play like other elite immobile highly-paid QBs and put up more than nine points, for something that, while unfair, makes more sense to me than a critique of the defense not doing the offense's job for them?

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Both sides of the ball are to blame for this. Mental mistakes are what cost us this game. Two face mask penalties that just didn't need to happen, a fumble in 'Russell time' was the final mental lapse.

The o-line is a mental disaster right now. I've seen them block, but they literally don't know what they are looking at from half the defensive looks they face. They face our generic look all week, and then when any form of defensive shake up is in front of them, they jump, they look back for someone else to tell them what's going on.

Cable is probably wanting to Pete's successor, and I honestly feel lucky to have him. This is not HIS offensive line. Trust me, he has to work within what the team is willing to go out and spend. He's not a miracle worker, but he needs to get these guys prepared for what they are going to see each week. I feel lucky to have him--if we did not, RW would already be dead.

Kearse friggin pissed me off today. Play with some fricken guts, man.

Player of the game, if there is such a in an abomination like this, was Frank Clark. He can be VERY good.

kf3339

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2xztvce1 said:

Exactly. Stop blaming the defense. Good Lord.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kf3339":3fttfxum said:
Smelly McUgly":3fttfxum said:

No blame. Simple questions...

Good lord.

Boycie

Reaction score
bandiger":299r1m1m said:
Smelly McUgly":299r1m1m said:

Yeah, I'm not really worried about the defense 21 points in two games is kinda elite man. We should be 2-0 if the offense even lived up to half the hype.

Here's a novel idea. Let's get the ball to Graham. What the heck did we pick him up for? Line him up wide and throw the effin ball to him dammit!

Optimus25

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2n7ao1uk said:
Coug_Hawk08":2n7ao1uk said:
FlyingGreg":2n7ao1uk said:
Coug_Hawk08":2n7ao1uk said:
He did much better today. Certainly wouldn't call him out as a reason for loss.

We've given up 19 points over two weeks. That's amazing. We should be complaining about offense.

Not. We can complain about the defense, too.

Where are the turnovers?

Agree, turnovers would be great, no doubt. But again, offense should score more than 19 in just one game. It's absolutely pathetic that we couldn't go 2-0 with that defensive effort.

I agree. But we had a QB at 75% (maybe), three active RBs once Rawls got hurt, missing Ifedi, a gimpy Webb, Lockett out for 2+ quarters...against a D that gives us fits even when we are healthy.

It's times like this weekend need SOMETHING big from a defense we have invested massive amounts of money in.

Honestly I'm just tired of the excuses. The patriots aren't using any and they kick the crap out of their division year in year out, Brady, garappolo, third string, cassell, whatever wherever.

We're losing the division every year because we aren't identifying the fact that our offense literally does Jack for 3 quarters a game on average.

Maybe earl would look better if we flipped the field position ONE Damn time.

kf3339

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":224giafn said:
kf3339":224giafn said:
Smelly McUgly":224giafn said:

Good lord.

Then I will give you a simple answer. NINE POINTS!

WE can't score enough points on offense to beat that? Please.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kf3339":2uq4xayl said:
FlyingGreg":2uq4xayl said:
kf3339":2uq4xayl said:
Smelly McUgly":2uq4xayl said:

Good lord.

Then I will give you a simple answer. NINE POINTS!

WE can't score enough points on offense to beat that? Please.

Not with a gimpy QB, starting guard out, back-up guard gimpy, Rawls out, Lockett hurt, Baldwin hurt too.

What did you expect? We knew it would be low scoring and close. Obviously.

Offense sucked. Defense was good, but still can't come up with the game changers like great defenses do.

This was a game we needed our D to win for us. Against an offense that will never be confused with being elite.

Period.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Let me put it this way: This team is giving up 9.5 points a game so far this season.

If a football genie came to the thirty-two head coaches and said, "Hey there, head coach! So, let's make a deal: Your team will not force another turnover all year, but they are guaranteed to only give up nine points a game to each opponent that they face, no more, no less. Would you like to accept this deal," ALL 32 HCs would take that deal in two seconds without thinking it over. And they would be right to.

I get that people here want more attacking and more turnovers, but I'm reticent to make huge changes in how the defense attacks opposing offenses at this point because they give up about nine points a game right now. Hey, if other, better QBs than Tannehill and Keenum start to rip them up, I'll be right there with you, but right now, I don't know that drastic changes to make the defense a more attacking defense are needed.

And citing injuries to argue that the defense needs to do more strikes me as unfair. Didn't Jacoby Brissett lead his team to like ten points in two quarters of action? And his OL sucks, too. Maybe even with injuries, our players should be executing enough to score ten points in four quarters of action.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I can't blame the defense. They've given up 19 in 2 games. 31 other teams would kill for that. Our offense is crapping the bed and that falls on our lovely assistants

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":vahr89pn said:
He's been very average since the SB loss. I wonder if the surgery has something to do with it.
A torn labrum is hard to recover from.It's been about 10 yrs since mine and it's not 100% today.The first couple of years I'd say it was maybe 80% at best and thats without football for me.I'd have thought there was better advances in therapy for this since my time but we are all wired different.The thing that keeps it under 100% is the rotation/angles of arm movement,I lost some of that like reaching behind my back up high as my other arm is one example.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
IndyHawk":39yu9owy said:
Hawk-Lock":39yu9owy said:
He's been very average since the SB loss. I wonder if the surgery has something to do with it.
A torn labrum is hard to recover from.It's been about 10 yrs since mine and it's not 100% today.The first couple of years I'd say it was maybe 80% at best and thats without football for me.I'd have thought there was better advances in therapy for this since my time but we are all wired different.The thing that keeps it under 100% is the rotation/angles of arm movement,I lost some of that like reaching behind my back up high as my other arm is one example.

Thanks.

kf3339

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":32g8u0hx said:
I can't blame the defense. They've given up 19 in 2 games. 31 other teams would kill for that. Our offense is crapping the bed and that falls on our lovely assistants

And PC. He employs those "lovely assistants".

kf3339

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1supkuhv said:
Hawk-Lock":1supkuhv said:

So are you saying Earl is damaged goods, and isn't recovered enough to start as our FS this year? Because if that's the case we are paying him a lot of money to be average or worse.

kf3339

Reaction score
"Not with a gimpy QB, starting guard out, back-up guard gimpy, Rawls out, Lockett hurt, Baldwin hurt too.

What did you expect? We knew it would be low scoring and close. Obviously.

Offense sucked. Defense was good, but still can't come up with the game changers like great defenses do.

This was a game we needed our D to win for us. Against an offense that will never be confused with being elite.

Period."

So Flying Greg you are saying if our defense is incapable of scoring points themselves, they are at fault for this loss since the offense gets to use a very weak injury excuse to get off the hook. REALLY? :pukeface: