Bradley McDougald was fined $26,739

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I will say this: The intent there is to strike with the shoulder. That head to head contact seems incidental. Whether that should or shouldn't be a fine is less important than the following.

Keeping your head up is great, but this also puts the upper spine at an angle that is not conducive for contact. It's quite easy to have your head snapped back by a ball carrier whos actually IS leading with the crown of their helmet and have your career ended due to said upper spine being now permanently out of alignment.

It's a difficult issue.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":29dy68lc said:
I will say this: The intent there is to strike with the shoulder. That head to head contact seems incidental. Whether that should or shouldn't be a fine is less important than the following..

I keep seeing people use the word "intent," and it has no place with sports fouls. Either it was a foul within the letter of the rule, or it wasn't.

That's how every other penalty is decided upon, both in game by the officials, and by the league office when they're reviewing and handing out fines. Personal fouls, pass interference, chop block, holding, whatever..........you name the penalty and interpreting "intent" has nothing to do with it.

Nor should it be, we already have the three blind mice in zebra shirts running around making horrible subjective calls, we want MORE objectivity with these calls, not less forcing the refs and league office to interpret intent.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1xydhkgc said:
vin.couve12":1xydhkgc said:
I will say this: The intent there is to strike with the shoulder. That head to head contact seems incidental. Whether that should or shouldn't be a fine is less important than the following..

I keep seeing people use the word "intent," and it has no place with sports fouls. Either it was a foul within the letter of the rule, or it wasn't.

That's how every other penalty is decided upon, both in game by the officials, and by the league office when they're reviewing and handing out fines. Personal fouls, pass interference, chop block, holding, whatever..........you name the penalty and interpreting "intent" has nothing to do with it.

Nor should it be, we already have the three blind mice in zebra shirts running around making horrible subjective calls, we want MORE objectivity with these calls, not less forcing the refs and league office to interpret intent.

So in your book, when Suh steps on Rodgers pencil neck, that should carry the same penalty against his team than when his own teammate steps on it after being blocked into him?

Both have the same end result, Rodgers pencil neck has a boo boo. Only difference is intent.

Similar rules exist in basketball with flagrant fouls carrying a stiffer penalty. My point....Yes intent does have a place in sports fouls.

rcaido

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ouw9j04 said:
vin.couve12":2ouw9j04 said:

If you're handing out fines, of course intent should be the main reason. .What if another player pushed him into the defender and resulted with helmet to helmet on defensive player. Does he still get the fine?

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":9f5ak0zg said:
vin.couve12":9f5ak0zg said:

There is hitting and there is spearing, one has intent the other not so much as far as wanting to injure or target the ball to dislodge it.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think the fan has to re-calibrate expectations a bit. The tutus and ballet stuff. The desire to see big hits. Sure, players get paid handsomely and they are starting to know more about the sacrifice they are making, but the cost was just simply too high. The days of accepting the effects of big hits are done. We have to get to a point where contact like McDougald made is no longer a part of the game, and we need to accept that this is where the game is going, and furthermore, we have to want them to go that direction. Because we aren't savages, we come from a civilized culture, and it is the right thing to do.

rjdriver

Reaction score
At least the hit was made while Cooper was a Raider. If he was already a Cowboy, the fine would have been triple.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tical21":1vzh4e6l said:
I think the fan has to re-calibrate expectations a bit. The tutus and ballet stuff. The desire to see big hits. Sure, players get paid handsomely and they are starting to know more about the sacrifice they are making, but the cost was just simply too high. The days of accepting the effects of big hits are done. We have to get to a point where contact like McDougald made is no longer a part of the game, and we need to accept that this is where the game is going, and furthermore, we have to want them to go that direction. Because we aren't savages, we come from a civilized culture, and it is the right thing to do.

So construction workers, should not use scaffolding and power tools, Military should use foam bullets and bombs etc.

Yes that is ludicrous, but those in the professions above know there are risks also as well as every one of these guys playing knows that risk of injury is there on both offense and defense, that's like asking the Major Leagues to use a T ball set up to avoid a 100 mile an hour fast ball.

If you don't want to take the risk for millions of dollars and be set for life then don't play.

Tical21

Reaction score
chris98251":26z0whqb said:
Tical21":26z0whqb said:

So construction workers, should not use scaffolding and power tools, Military should use foam bullets and bombs etc.

Yes that is ludicrous, but those in the professions above know there are risks also as well as every one of these guys playing knows that risk of injury is there on both offense and defense, that's like asking the Major Leagues to use a T ball set up to avoid a 100 mile an hour fast ball.

If you don't want to take the risk for millions of dollars and be set for life then don't play.
Don't be obtuse. You just compared football to baseball. More and more are choosing not to play. Youth turnout is lessening each year. If you want to keep the game, you need to take care of it and those that play it for our enjoyment.

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":1tbuzr5u said:
chris98251":1tbuzr5u said:
Tical21":1tbuzr5u said:

Don't be obtuse. You just compared football to baseball. More and more are choosing not to play. Youth turnout is lessening each year. If you want to keep the game, you need to take care of it and those that play it for our enjoyment.

Speaking of that....
Keeping the game and making double standards and a mockery of the rules will lose more fans than protecting that red headed step child will keep. Most fans want to watch football, not foosball.

627ec6423c158f85de946fbd976c98cd

B49c611deaa8a57e3059  funny moments classic movies

Tical21

Reaction score
Losing athletes to other sports will make it go away faster than either.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Tical21":2dxht0g5 said:

No insult intended...but maybe we should just go directly to the Flag Football or Two hand touch. The tutus and Ballet was meant as a flexibility context. Those people can move their body in different forms that some people cant do. I cant do it. They have so much flexibility that they can move their bodies around each other with out touching each other. That was my point.

In tackling, they get momentum and focus on the main points that they are supposed to be acting on, that they may not be able to change direction like a pirouette would give them. There are not a lot of precedence here...and I dont know the real answer. I just meant what I said in this context that I have portrayed. Hope we are on the same page now. Have a great evening.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tical21":16mp9asu said:
chris98251":16mp9asu said:
Tical21":16mp9asu said:

Yes I did, the fact you losing kids is also do to it takes longer to pin point a special football player then a kid that can hit and pitch or juggle a soccer ball.

These leagues now target kids and force them to choose a sport to play exclusivly as well. Much harder to have a youth football elite jr team that travels to play due to the amount of players, equipment costs etc. Some areas can do it I would bet the south and Texas have programs such as these, but I am pretty sure you don't have as many on the West, and East Coasts and Midwest for football.

Around here all I see is signs for Baseball and Soccer programs advertised for youth leagues that are high level for try outs.

When a kid starts to mature you can see his body type change, that kid playing soccer at 11 and grows to be 6'4" at 17 or 18 probably isn't playing soccer as favored player anymore, just isn't as quick and explosive as the 5'4" to 5"8" guys.

Can't field or hit a curve so then he has football left or basketball but is behind the curve in each sport because he was playing soccer since he was 5 to 15.