Bradley McDougald was fined $26,739

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":5urpl26o said:
Agree to disagree. Clean hit
If it was a clean hit, Amari Cooper would not have been knocked out cold. It really is as simple as that. Intent doesn't matter. Trying to hit with your shoulder doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that McDougalds helmet contacted a defenseless receiver's helmet. This, is fact, and is the only fact that matters. Are you disagreeing that McDougald's helmet came into contact with a defenseless receiver's helmet?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":3jio2jnz said:
SoulfishHawk":3jio2jnz said:
Agree to disagree. Clean hit
If it was a clean hit, Amari Cooper would not have been knocked out cold. It really is as simple as that. Intent doesn't matter. Trying to hit with your shoulder doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that McDougalds helmet contacted a defenseless receiver's helmet. This, is fact, and is the only fact that matters. Are you disagreeing that McDougald's helmet came into contact with a defenseless receiver's helmet?

You have to remember that Soulfish and other homers on this board think the Hawks are going 16-0 and to the SB every year, so to try and inject some logic into this conversation is a futile effort.

But believe me, if it was Lockett or Doug that got knocked out with a concussion, and might miss multiple weeks Soulfish would have a different opinion on the legality of the hit.

The tape clearly shows initiated contact with the helmet AND McDougald leading with his helmet, his feet are literally off the ground. It can now be used in classrooms all over the country to show players what NOT to do.

But again, barking up the wrong tree if you're trying to engage homers in this discussion.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
:? I have been saying 9-7 all year, nice try. I have a right to my opinion, it was a clean hit. But, clearly it wasn't since they fined him. You have a right to your opinion. Geezus, it never ends on this site. You don't know s about me, or how I see the game. I have no problem saying that the other team got hosed in the same situation. Plenty of teams have been shafted on calls by the refs, including who the Hawks are playing. Shoot, look at all these penalties around the league with guys landing on the QB, in a football game. It's ridiculous. Green Bay lost a game because of it.
God forbid someone thinks that a hit shouldn't have been a penalty and/or a fine. And why is that when a player naturally ducks down to avoid contact, it's automatically the fault of the defender?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3bgu20za said:
Whatever, I have been saying 9-7 all year, nice try. I have a right to my opinion, it was a clean hit. But, clearly it wasn't since they fined him. You have a right to your opinion. Geezus, it never ends on this site. You don't know s about me, or how I see the game. I have no problem saying that the other team got hosed in the same situation. Plenty of teams have been shafted on calls by the refs, including who the Hawks are playing. Shoot, look at all these penalties around the league with guys landing on the QB, in a football game. It's ridiculous. Green Bay lost a game because of it.
God forbid someone thinks that a hit shouldn't have been a penalty and/or a fine.

I said that in my very first post on this thread, if you'd like to talk about how terrible the rule is worded, or how poorly it's being officiated?

I'm all ears, but if you can't watch a video and see McDougald hit Cooper with his helmet causing him to be concussed and knocked out of the game? Then what are we doing here? It couldn't be more obvious, and you guys are LITERALLY the only ones in the entire country that think it was a clean hit.

If that's not blatant homerism, I don't know what it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think he lead with his shoulder, don't like my opinion, oh well. And yes, I can see that helmet did contact Cooper's helmet, AFTER he lead with the shoulder all I'm saying. So, I stand corrected, if the rule is that helmets can't touch, in a FOOTBALL GAME, then ok, not a clean hit. I don't have to agree with it or like it, let alone the direction the league is going with this stuff.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":y690xan3 said:
I think he lead with his shoulder, don't like my opinion, oh well.

Even though their helmets hit each other first.............in the video...............of the hit we're discussing.................OK then.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How is a defender supposed to predict when a player is gonna' duck his head last second? It's not possible. But go ahead and call me a homer if it makes you feel better. This has nothing to do with the Seahawks, this is league wide crap that needs to be figured out. There are plenty of people on here who don't like the call.
Doesn't matter, it's just talking football. Have a good day.
Go Hawks

Tical21

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if he lead with his shoulder. It doesn't matter if Cooper ducked. The defender has to do whatever it takes, and anticipate whatever must be anticipated, in order to ensure the receiver is not knocked out. That is what is asked of him. Was Cooper knocked out? If so, how can one possibly argue the legality of the hit?

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2qzxeq3o said:
How is a defender supposed to predict when a player is gonna' duck his head last second? It's not possible. But go ahead and call me a homer if it makes you feel better. This has nothing to do with the Seahawks, this is league wide crap that needs to be figured out. There are plenty of people on here who don't like the call.
Go Hawks

He can't. All defenders need to consider a career change to offense to save on their God fines. That otta help sell the sport commish. :roll: :pukeface:

Tical21

Reaction score
It is possible. Hit with the other shoulder, as national governing bodies are now requiring kids across all levels of football to practice. McDougald actually typically does a pretty good job of this. Players that have been in our system a long time do it nearly every time.

sc85sis

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2fhiml9f said:
Go Hawks
https://www.usafootball.com/programs/he ... rtackling/

Scroll down a bit and look at #3 and #4.

I agree, it's going to be really difficult for the defender at times--but they need to try to keep their head up.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
I was at the game and at the time was surprised it wasn't flagged as the hit was so violent.

I, love the fact that our secondary is putting the Boom back into our defense, it adds an edge that I feel has been missing since the LOB have gone their separate ways.

Anyway, as to this hit. I'm very much in the brigade that can't stand the direction the league is continuing to go in. There doesn't seem to be an end to the rule changes to aide receivers and the QB. Its making defense impossible to play to the level that makes the contest competitive.

This in my view was not a dirty hit whatsoever. He leads with his shoulder and the helmet to helmet is a result of Cooper ducking down last minute to avoid the hit. There is absolutely nothing that McDougald could have done to avoid the helmet to helmet besides not making that tackle, all he had as an alternative is waiting for Cooper to turn up field and then be sure he can make a safe Hawk tackle with his head out the way. As per the rule, I understand the fine, but if the purpose of the fine is to change behaviour, would Pete really want his safety to do the alternative I've outlined above? "Don't worry Bradley about giving up the catch and a possible first down". Absolutely not, he will continue to encourage the hard hitting defense, within the rules, if they flag those bang bang plays then so be it, but lets not pretend like there is some alternative option that he could have done midair gymnastics to avoid helmet to helmet on this type of hit.

God I really detest what the NFL is turning the game into.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, I can see the contact. Just seems very tough for a defender these days. Not a fan of the direction the league is going with this. And it seems very inconsistent. Teams all over the league are getting shafted on these calls, along w/that stupid landing on the QB call.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":f800buw0 said:
Fair enough, I can see the contact. Just seems very tough for a defender these days. Not a fan of the direction the league is going with this. And it seems very inconsistent. Teams all over the league are getting shafted on these calls, along w/that stupid landing on the QB call.

If only they had tutus and wore Ballet slippers...then they could do all the things the rules committee want them to do. :?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Two words are being used somewhat interchangeably in this thread: the first is "hit" and the second is "tackle". They are not the same, and McDougald went for a hit, not a wrapping-up tackle.

I have no problem with either of them in the game, mind you, but if McDougald had attempted a tackle instead of a hit, this would not have been a penalty.

That seems to be what a lot of fans have a problem with now. The cool hits are being flagged in order to protect people. I get the concussion issues, and this was an example of it. Could McDougald have hit lower? Maybe, but as in real time, it's hard to know how he was supposed to. Thus the reason it probably wasn't flagged in the first place.

The fine is for the NFL to save face on the whole concussion issue.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1digh7jj said:

I knew we'd get there Soulfish. Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a stubborn homer, but I own it :irishdrinkers:
But anyone who actually knows me and/or has watched a game with me will tell you, I have zero problems pointing out when a team gets shafted against the Hawks. BS call, but "I'll take it" is used often.
Good points above about hitting the guy and walking away, instead of just tackling a guy and running thru him. That all being said, look at the Kam hit on Davis. Lit him up, 100 percent clean hit, yet he got flagged. Mainly because Davis' neck naturally snapped forward. The fact that runners often lead with their head and it is extremely rare that they will called for it seems way too inconsistent.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":11xbbap4 said:
The fact that runners often lead with their head and it is extremely rare that they will called for it seems way too inconsistent.

That is most definitely true, and why I said originally that we can certainly bitch about how terribly the new rule is being officiated.

But that's kinda the dirty little league secret, they want more offense, not more defense............so they're going to coach up the officials to give the receivers and backs the benefit of the doubt, and not the defenders.

Same with lineman, Fluker was on KIRO this week and said he gets headbutted 25 times a game that isn't exactly good for his head and brain, but the officials don't care about the lineman, just protecting the stars of the sport, the skill position players.

rcaido

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1rz7ex8a said:
Two words are being used somewhat interchangeably in this thread: the first is "hit" and the second is "tackle". They are not the same, and McDougald went for a hit, not a wrapping-up tackle.

I have no problem with either of them in the game, mind you, but if McDougald had attempted a tackle instead of a hit, this would not have been a penalty.

That seems to be what a lot of fans have a problem with now. The cool hits are being flagged in order to protect people. I get the concussion issues, and this was an example of it. Could McDougald have hit lower? Maybe, but as in real time, it's hard to know how he was supposed to. Thus the reason it probably wasn't flagged in the first place.

The fine is for the NFL to save face on the whole concussion issue.

It wasn't a penalty during the game....

Latest posts