Source: Russell Wilson Wanted Schottenheimer Fired

toffee

Reaction score
Where there is smoke, there is fire. There are too many of these reports from former teammates. It's like when there were reports about Seattle shopping Wilson and Wilson wanting out. People called it "unsubstantiated" and "fake". People claimed the media and people like Cowherd were just trying to drum up controversy in the offseason and get clicks (despite cowherd being personal friends with Wilson). What happened? Wilson forced his way out of Seattle.

Wilson is a fake and a prima donna. At Wilson's core he is the same type of guy as Aaron Rodgers, but at least Aaron Rodgers doesn't put up a fake front and pretend.
I think you nailed it Doc,

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I want every player on the Seahawks to stop at nothing to be the most valuable player. Don't you? That's what made the LOB and guys like Lynch, Carson and Bennett so awesome to watch in those days.

Are you listening Penny, DK, Meyers?
I don't. Often times doing what you're supposed to do to help the team win is at odds with garnering 'mvp' acclaim. Playing assignment football rarely shows up on the stat sheet

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
The over reaction of him being not that good is funny by some posters. He is a HOF player. He also has his struggles and weaknesses that he never seemed to fix. It may just be more of his height that caused the main issues.

Also, his personality is phony. He is not Mr Rogers. It is what it is. I have been silent on this topic for enough time. Russ is a HOF QB with a major weakness that is most likely due to his height. This makes quick hitters and him bailing from a good pocket the issue.
He's not a HOFer yet. He's got some work to do if he wants in.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I read this a while back and didn't think it would be of much interest, but I remembered it because I'm still a Richard Sherman fan even though he's been gone for a while. The article stems from a reunion of several of the LOB members at Sherman's wedding.

It says that one reason for the dislike of RW3 by the LOB and the team in general was because Pete actually told Sherman (and the others) to back off their teasing and sh** talking. The article states that Sheman told Russ "You f------g suck" during practice after an interception. They were told that they couldn't do that and to go easy on him.

And if that’s true, I can understand Pete saying it because he believes so much in being positive and building people up. The LOB may have seen it as coddling, and perhaps it was to some degree. But I also think it was just Pete being Pete and them not seeing that.

Hyak

Reaction score
Context is important is some of the rehashed info. Early in his career, no question Pete protected Wilson some. That happens with EVERY young QB. It's important you build them up. And fair or not, the Seahawks were not contending for SB's without Wilson's play at QB even with Lynch and the LOB. I don't care what guys like Sherman and Baldwin thought. They loved TJack but he sucked. Now once Wilson became a legit top 5 QB in the NFL, there's also a different level of treatment those guys get. A level of treatment (and pay) that other positions don't get close to. Add in Wilson's public persona and aloofness with teammates as a whole and sure the team was full of alpha's who were jealous of his status. That's what fed into the asinine reaction to the end of SB 49.

Now at some point, Russ went off the rails in terms of always blathering on about his legacy and brand. As time went on and the team became less competitive in terms of SB contention, it resonated.

In the end, everybody has legit points and there's nobody completely right or completely wrong. Pete and John did plenty of things right and plenty wrong. Russ - the same. The LOB - the same.

flv2

Reaction score
Where there is smoke, there is fire. There are too many of these reports from former teammates. It's like when there were reports about Seattle shopping Wilson and Wilson wanting out. People called it "unsubstantiated" and "fake". People claimed the media and people like Cowherd were just trying to drum up controversy in the offseason and get clicks (despite cowherd being personal friends with Wilson). What happened? Wilson forced his way out of Seattle.

Wilson is a fake and a prima donna. At Wilson's core he is the same type of guy as Aaron Rodgers, but at least Aaron Rodgers doesn't put up a fake front and pretend.
I have no dog in this fight. Maybe Wilson was two-faced about Schottenheimer. My point is either that the author is extrapolating a story based on other stories and sources or this is a leak from a source close to Carroll that was, (or still is), on the Seahawks coaching staff. For the Seahawks sake I hope it's the former.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You don't go through three offensive coordinators in four years on a successful offense by league metrics without the QB's direct input of his unhappiness.

So we can debate about WHAT those reasons were for Russell's unhappiness with his coordinators that got fired...........but there's no debating that he was directly responsible for their departures.

rcaido

Reaction score
You don't go through three offensive coordinators in four years on a successful offense by league metrics without the QB's direct input of his unhappiness.

So we can debate about WHAT those reasons were for Russell's unhappiness with his coordinators that got fired...........but there's no debating that he was directly responsible for their departures.
Dont exaggerate it...Bevell was with us around 7 years before he got fired and was long over due.

Shotty 3 years and that was it. Waldron didn't get fired.

So technically, just Shotty if that's really on Wilson.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So technically, just Shotty if that's really on Wilson.

It was, just ask Schotty.

But IMO it's more on Pete then Schotty, or any coordinator for that matter. until Waldron Pete just hired yes-men suck up coordinators to run his offense how he wanted it run.

That was really the friction between Russ and Pete, probably had very little to do with the coordinators......and Russ saw after one year with Waldron that it was more of the same and nothing really changed with how the offense was being run.

The End.

Hyak

Reaction score
Also - not sure if any player in history has come out and said they want a coordinator or HC fired. Same for a HC - they always are going to go the politically correct route in media statements.

toffee

Reaction score
QBs not happy with their OC? QBs want new OC to improve their game? Common happenstances, and totally with Wilson's right to make such demands, and it's up to Pete to handle and decide.

What made this whole thing smelled bad was not Wilson asked for a new OC, but he was two faced. He asked Pete for change of OC, but tell the world publicly that he's against changing OC, and he loved and wanted Schotty to stay.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Russ' agent/camp, "those close to Russ" were mentioned numerous times in the article. I can't wait to see how the contract talks go in Denver.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Schotty should have been canned after the Dallas Cowboys playoff game debacle. If it were up to me, he would have been fired on the spot after that game.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Schotty should have been canned after the Dallas Cowboys playoff game debacle. If it were up to me, he would have been fired on the spot after that game.
Whos to say that wasn't on Pete Carroll? Schottenheimer was known as a rank and file guy that executed his HC's vision to a fault. We've seen a lot of suspect play calling in our playoff games under Bevell as well that looked suspiciously like the Dallas game. Overall, Schottenheimer's run in Seattle wasn't a bad one, I was pleasantly surprised. We tend to get very vanilla and conservative in the playoffs.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Also - not sure if any player in history has come out and said they want a coordinator or HC fired. Same for a HC - they always are going to go the politically correct route in media statements.
The thing that makes Wilson a two-faced weasel in this isn't that he didn't come out and say he wanted the OC fired. He could have just said something neutral -- "I appreciate his time here, it is what it is, I look forward to working with the new guy, etc."

What makes Wilson a two-faced weasel is, if it really happened this way, he actively lobbied for Shotty's firing behind the scenes and then publicly lied and said the exact opposite.

I had the same reaction to Hutch. First Hutch said he didn't know about the poison pill. Then he said he knew about it. Then it turns out he had asked for it to be there. I held that against him for a very long time.

Fade

Reaction score
Pete didn't trust Schotty.

Pete was changing Shotty's plays after they were called, and causing delay of games, remember?

It's like people have a memory of a gold fish.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Wilson is the prototypical "nice guy." IYKYK.

From his relationship with Ashton, Ciara, and his team mates, to the clean cut, public persona he maintains, he attempts to manipulate perception through covert contracts, and two-faced dealings, he could be the nice guy poster child.

Privately undermining Schotty, while publicly pretending to be his ally, is classic, expected nice guy behavior.

Nobody truly likes a nice guy, once they actually get to know him, though they may be fooled initially. Sound familiar? Cough, DK, cough.